The Best Historic SR Shooting in the UK

John MH

Now that's my kind of shoot! I would almost be tempted to break out my No I, MkVI Trials Rifle for that gathering! It was nice to see some of the older LE's on the line as well as the No 4 variants. For practicality, I'd go with the K-31. I saw at least one of them in the show. At what distances are the targets set?~Andrew

I'm actually tempted despite Bisley being the most uninviting place I've ever been and I've been to strict ISSF only clubs where they turn up in driving jackets then change into walking jackets to walk to the range then finally into sh/ooting jackets.

JMH and I have been pointlessly trying to promote our hugely massively phenomenally successful 100+ at each match for god knows how long matches to no avail, but the masses here don't take bite, yet despite countless videos of people wearing every brand of camo going, your perception is still the one to take heed of?

Could it be that despite this being a forum of OCD testers, meplat trimmers and talkers, in every match UKV shooters have attended, they've all gone home with their tails between their legs?

Maybe we should all shoot Benchrest, where the gun does the talking and hits anywhere on the target count.....as long as the group is teeny tiny?

I'm just relating my experience of the place. I've only been twice and not for a couple of years.

The first time I was told my safe shooters card issued by my NRA affiliated club and used on MoD Beckingham many times was somehow not valid and I'd have to pay for a course and new card, so left without shooting.

The second time when I turned up with my club, my card was magically fine and I managed to shoot but everyone from my club on that day agreed that we just felt as though we weren't wanted.

I don't know if I just had bad luck on both occasions but that's the feeling it's left me with.

If you don't like that, there's nothing I can do about it but it is what it is.

It's entirely possible you had a bad experience or two, others possibly have as well, but I'd like to think that is the exception and not the rule.

I have experienced similar at a couple of other places, but have always put that down to individuals rather than something more systemic.

Regarding the shooting itself, these events may seem exclusive to the likes of Bisley, but that's only because there are people there that put in the effort to get them organised

Back in the days of the PR League, Gun World Shooting Club used to put on a good Practical Rifle match at Buckingham, so there is nothing stopping you or others from doing likewise and running your own Historic or CSR matches there (or anything else for that matter) and then you wouldn't have to worry about coming down to Bisley.

Hell, we would even come up to yours

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see those older rifles still in use. Thanks for sharing.

I only shot at Bisley one time and that was for a Brigade SAM but found it both welcoming and a privilege to shoot at the home of shooting. We used to use Ash ranges mostly back in the day.

Now I have my proverbial in a sock I'm hoping to get up there again with my club in September and see the difference as a civvy.

I have to say that I have had the opposite experience of Bisley. Can't believe how relaxed, informal and easy to use it is.

The range booking is a bit frustrating to start with, but a phone call normally helps. Then turn up early, book in and pay. Then wander off to your lanes with radio comms to the butts and Range Office, then shoot until the claxon goes.

Please yourself about targets, pay for a marker or do your own butt duties.

I had almost the entire Shorts Siberia to myself for a whole morning, zero'd 5 rifles, practiced standing, kneeling & sitting and even got sunshine.

I had expected a rigidly controlled bureaucratic nightmare, but found the opposite.

In comparison my own club has self imposed rules, even when attending Bisley, which put me off going with them.

It is what you make of it.

The CSR shoots are a little daunting to start with, having to remember the scoring rules, practices (without an explanation each time), getting your drops right with no sighters, judging the wind with little or no sighters, trying to hit a fig 12 whilst breathing through your backside after the run down and having a hundred others there who seemingly know how everything runs better than you do. BUT, do a couple of shoots, meet new people each time due to squadding, and it soons becomes not only fun, but addictive fun.

Just my five penneth worth.

I have to say that I have had the opposite experience of Bisley. Can't believe how relaxed, informal and easy to use it is.

The range booking is a bit frustrating to start with, but a phone call normally helps. Then turn up early, book in and pay. Then wander off to your lanes with radio comms to the butts and Range Office, then shoot until the claxon goes.

Please yourself about targets, pay for a marker or do your own butt duties.

I had almost the entire Shorts Siberia to myself for a whole morning, zero'd 5 rifles, practiced standing, kneeling & sitting and even got sunshine.

I had expected a rigidly controlled bureaucratic nightmare, but found the opposite.

In comparison my own club has self imposed rules, even when attending Bisley, which put me off going with them.

It is what you make of it.

The CSR shoots are a little daunting to start with, having to remember the scoring rules, practices (without an explanation each time), getting your drops right with no sighters, judging the wind with little or no sighters, trying to hit a fig 12 whilst breathing through your backside after the run down and having a hundred others there who seemingly know how everything runs better than you do. BUT, do a couple of shoots, meet new people each time due to squadding, and it soons becomes not only fun, but addictive fun.

Just my five penneth worth.

Correct

Archived