Out for a play with ppc again

varminter

tell Nigel to get it posted ray

Shall have a word with the great man himself :D :D

All the best...............

RAY....................... :D :D

Guys I have only just worked out how to use the camera so be patient I need to work out how to format it for the computer, as I am a ludite it may take a bit of time :lol: Talking of which I haven't had a lot of time of late but I will sit down and have a play real soon

Look forward to some of these vids if anything like tt's they will be spot on Varminter it was good footage for a digi photo camera certainly explosive enough

• 2 weeks later...

Went out for a few hours yesterday evening with my 6 PPC, loaded 20 rounds with 58 gr hornady v max. Usually I just shoot paper with this gun and the odd fox but decided to give it a go on a few rabbits shot three from 100- 232 yds, tried a few longer one 262yds but couldn't work out the drop /breeze , but they where very close. These for me are some of my longest shots so was very pleased to connect or come near.

I have never witnessed anything like the explosive destruction that these 58gr vmax cause. I took a few pictures but am not posting them (just fuel for you know who!!). I think that someone else recently posted blown up rabbits, they where along those lines but a little more graphic. I have berger 68 gr hp to try next and a few 70 gr hornady sp sx..??. I recoken these bergers will be the answer to the extra yds towards the 300 yd mark.

Incidently how far do you recoken that the ppc is good for this type of shooting? :angry:

Went out for a few hours yesterday evening with my 6 PPC, loaded 20 rounds with 58 gr hornady v max. Usually I just shoot paper with this gun and the odd fox but decided to give it a go on a few rabbits shot three from 100- 232 yds, tried a few longer one 262yds but couldn't work out the drop /breeze , but they where very close. These for me are some of my longest shots so was very pleased to connect or come near.

I have never witnessed anything like the explosive destruction that these 58gr vmax cause. I took a few pictures but am not posting them (just fuel for you know who!!). I think that someone else recently posted blown up rabbits, they where along those lines but a little more graphic. I have berger 68 gr hp to try next and a few 70 gr hornady sp sx..??. I recoken these bergers will be the answer to the extra yds towards the 300 yd mark.

Incidently how far do you recoken that the ppc is good for this type of shooting? :angry:

Hi buddy good to hear you are having fun with your ppc :blink::lol:

Now as for range with the 6ppc using 58 v-maxs , thats up you personally!!! It depends on the tools you have at your disposal ( windmeter / rangfinder / balistic data for rifle / load ) go out and shoot groups on paper at diferent intervals - 150 /200 /250 / 300 /350 /400yds .. See how she groups and how you perform and this will.... 1) tell you the exact drop of bullet 2) if your ballistic data is spot on for drop and windage 3) tell you whether you / your rifle are capable of ingauging small pests at extended range 4) give you a FEEL of when and when not to take that SHOT!!!!

Now this is my personal experince , i do the above regulary and i know that my balistic data is spot on!!! You have seen by my posts that i personally take on pests out to 350yds when i feel the conditions are correct!!! Terminal performance is perfect!!!

As for bullet weight , that up to you - i just love them 58 v-maxs and the beauty of the ppc with a 1 in 12 twist is "it loves anything from 55 grains to 80 grains!! Should shoot the 85s quite well too , but for pests 55s -75s are great!!!

I have taken pests further but only in what i call perfect conditions ........

As per normal , we all know theres no subtitute for practice ........

Hope i have been of some help...............

RAY.................... ;):P

Went out last night again, 2 bunnies for 2 shots . Getting used to the Nightforce now and adjustments , one at 240 yrds and second at 267yrd (P.Best). I was very happy with the second shot as it was quite a small rabbit .Hopefully get to the range on Sunday to fill in a few of the blanks on the drop chart.

Dave.

p.s

Anyone suggest a non varminting 6mm bullet which would be suitable for deer ( rules aside ) up to 75gr. I wouldn't think of using these hornady 58 gr's ball.tips as they cause way too much damage.

Went out last night again, 2 bunnies for 2 shots . Getting used to the Nightforce now and adjustments , one at 240 yrds and second at 267yrd (P.Best). I was very happy with the second shot as it was quite a small rabbit .Hopefully get to the range on Sunday to fill in a few of the blanks on the drop chart.

Dave.

p.s

Anyone suggest a non varminting 6mm bullet which would be suitable for deer ( rules aside ) up to 75gr. I wouldn't think of using these hornady 58 gr's ball.tips as they cause way too much damage.

Dave , hornady do a 70 grain spire point that expands well on roe!!!

You should be able to drive these fast enough to meet deer legal energy levels with great accuracy too......

You could also ask the same question on the deer and other game forum on this site ;)

All the best.............

RAY.......................

Archived