Spectre .308

Finished this today.

IMG_2105_zpsgg6ndsdx.jpg

This started off as a Stiller Spectre action with built in 20 moa rail. A lovely action .

Onto it went a Sassen helically fluted blank, in PSS profile , at 22" long.

Muzzle threaded M18 x 1 and invisible thread cap, plus one of my 3 port brakes.

IMG_2109_zps0f5qjoxq.jpg

IMG_2112_zps0zgakqpn.jpg

The stock is a McMillan HTG M40 Adjustable.

First job was to machine out and fit the pillars. Then it was opened up to accept a third eye floor plate, and fully bedded in.

A week later, the barrelled action was bedded in too. After machining , I painted the interior. Serves no purpose, but makes it look nice.

IMG_2099_zpskvns9nv5.jpg

IMG_2104_zpsynwe0ywz.jpg

This action will run the Accuracy International AW magazine, so it was a no brainer, as they are shorter and smoother than the AICS magazine.

IMG_2111_zps1ruij1y1.jpg

The trigger is one of the excellent Canadian Triggertech units.

IMG_2106_zpshrbpys9m.jpg

IMG_2107_zpssi5mywll.jpg

IMG_2108_zpsktfgke0e.jpg

All metalwork is done in Ceracoat Graphite black, with the barrel flutes picked out in McMillan grey, to match the grey in the stock.

IMG_2110_zps43hopfod.jpg

A pica tinny rail was fitted to the stocks fore end, to accept a Javelin Bipod mount and Q/D swivel.

IMG_2113_zpsa6bhrf3z.jpg

Finally, the steel specs on the stainless bolt heads bugged me, so into a simple jig they went, and were machined off. :lol:

IMG_2103_zpsr1liyxme.jpg

Paint is Ceracoat Graphite black with the barrel flutes picked out in McMillan grey to match the grey in the stock.

All work done in house.

Loved building this....my kinda gun.

From a technical point of view, we used to be dead set against fluting barrels but then began to accept that, as most well made guns are more accurate than their users, it probably doesn't actually matter and so if somebody places aesthetics above capability then go ahead.

• 2 months later...

Archived