Accuracy International Arctic Warfare

bradders

How much does the AW retail for new, I can't find a price on the website?

That'll be because they only made 10 and they were POA, and as a price wasn't published it would be wrong to disclose how much my punter paid for it.....but everyone is happy,,,,,and that's the main thing

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're providing through life support to all their mil/pol customers running AW 'fleets', so I'd imagine this'll happen again at some point.

Quite possibly, but new production runs will no doubt be few and far between

They're providing through life support to all their mil/pol customers running AW 'fleets', so I'd imagine this'll happen again at some point.

+1

Just one example from the very first AW mil contract - the Swedes had most of their original '90's AW non-folding pattern rifles (the "PSG90" pattern with their bespoke 10x42 Hensoldt) updated to a folding stock PSG90b spec around 5 years back (which also added a bespoke S&B 3-12x50 with Spuhr dovetail receiver mount). The AW's predecessor in Sweden (Mauser 41b) was in service for 50 years. With the 90b upgrades I'd expect at least another 20 years of in-service life in that one contract alone...and there are plenty of others.

Original PSG90 spec

1%20PSG90%20Original%20Specification%20n

PSG90b spec

PSG90B%20with%20bespoke%20SB%203-12x50_z

This won't be the last run of the AW. All parts apart from stocks are still available...its simply a case of buying in 10,s to make it worth the factory's while.

Personally, i can't see the point, as without the original stock, its not an "as issued" AW so won't have its collectability.

Thats no detraction from a very beautiful gun however. They always look good with the correct scope and case. Hours of endless fun hopefully.

As an aside, I have a pair of non folding , non cheekpiece Tan skins in stock.

That'll be because they only made 10 and they were POA, and as a price wasn't published it would be wrong to disclose how much my punter paid for it.....but everyone is happy,,,,,and that's the main thing

I was just curious as I have a 2008 folding model and wondered if they had gone up much. I agree it's a private matter given it's listed as POA

Personally, i can't see the point, as without the original stock, its not an "as issued" AW so won't have its collectability.

Would be interesting to know what happened to all the early pattern non-folding stocks that they took off the PSG90 rifles... I have a horrible feeling they will have been scrapped (so most likely another complete waste much like the chopping of most of our L96A1's...)

Would be interesting to know what happened to all the early pattern non-folding stocks that they took off the PSG90 rifles... I have a horrible feeling they will have been scrapped (so most likely another complete waste much like the chopping of most of our L96A1's...)

Like the UK, Sweden has ratified the Arms Trade Treaty and stongly supports the UN 'Programme of Action' against the illicit trade in small arms. The result: both nations are supposed to lead by example and therefore all surplus military small arms and spares go into the crusher. It's sad to think what is happening to all the L96A1s and No8 cadet rifles.

the ones mine ,still got the original skins plus another 6 sets and along action folder stock lots of people swopped to them victor skins and just gave away there old onesinternational-aw-13_zpsybcuuuzr.jpg

..still got the original skins plus another 6 sets....

You better clear your inbox as I suspect you'll be on the receiving end of quite a few PM's from the purchaser's of the latest SS batch... :lol: Mind you, if you only have the non-folding will be a bit of a problem...

Well the rifle went to its new home yesterday, and to say the new owner is very happy is an understatement.

As for the old vs new stock sides argument, that's just daft as things get improved and modified over their lifetime all the time

The new sides are much nicer in my opinion and more aesthetically pleasing.

Future runs may happen, but without anyone enquiiring then it is just speculation!

The new stock sides are more original than the double turn Schmidt in the pic above, but no one's questioning that!

The new stock sides are more original than the double turn Schmidt in the pic above, but no one's questioning that!

For the record, the "correct" AW launch scopes would have been the civvie version of the PSG90 Hensoldt 10x42 or the S&B PM 6x42 for the 7.62x51 and a Bausch and Lomb 10x for the AWSM. On page 1 of the AW launch brochure it shows a Swedish milspec Hensoldt 10x42 along with complete Swedish pattern CES, and pages 2/3 show an AW covert with a S&B PM 6x42 (looks like it's a green L13A1 pattern although difficult to be sure with B&W). Page 4 of the brochure shows the AWSM with Bausch and Lomb 10x. The AWP launch brochure shows the original PM 3-12x50 (not the later PMii version) as the standard launch scope.

Other scopes would also have been specified for certain early Mil/LE contracts - notably the S&B PM 10x42 and PM 12x42 which externally look pretty much identical to the PM 6x42.

As far as "correct" British issue, later came the MKii 3-12x50 (L17A1) which saw use on L118A1, L115A1 and the L96A1. And later still the MKii 5-25x56 on the L115A3 (which was specified with a Double Turn turret as per the pic above).

I would say any of the above are, one way or another, "correct"

Page 1 with PSG90 CES including "Scope 90" (Swedish milspec Hensoldt 10x42)

1_zpssa6e77cg.jpg

Pages 2/3 with AW Covert and S&B 6x42 (note - there is a typo on scope spec reading Hensoldt 10x40...it should be 10x42)

2%20and%203_zpsbpvyke2m.jpg

Page 4 AWSM with B&L 10x

4_zpskhkjgsfo.jpg

AWP with PM 3-12x50

AWP%201_zpsw8tmlall.jpg

And not one is a folder!!

IIRC the first major order for a folder would have been from the Bundeswehr for their version of the AWSM in 300 WinMag (issued as the G22). That would have been around '96/'97 time. The BW specified a bespoke dayscope and NV set up from Hensoldt (then the Zeiss mil division). That resulted in the SSG 3-12x56 and NSV80 pairing.....that would be another "correct" optics set-up....

1_zpssypc4zl8.jpg

Still

IIRC the first major order for a folder would have been the Bundeswehr for their version of the AWSM in 300 WinMag (issued as the G22). That would have been around '96/7 time. The BW specified a bespoke scope and NV set up from Hensoldt (then the Zeiss mil division). That resulted in the SSG 3-12x56 and NSV80 pairing.....that would be another "correct" optics set-up....

1_zpssypc4zl8.jpg

No double turn though!!

What I am saying that this "original authenticity" cobblers is just that

Still

No double turn though!!

What I am saying that this "original authenticity" cobblers is just that

From your comments above I am left with no doubt that you find the discussion around historical authenticity "cobblers" and, of course, you're perfectly entitled to hold that view. No doubt there will be others who share your opinion. However, I know plenty of other people who have a great regard for Accuracy International as a proud British brand and who have a keen interest in learning more about the details of its history; for people with that level of interest, getting the facts right regarding the history of AI's products and their specification is important.

giphy.gif

You misread my posts once again

It was stated by this forums very own Baldie Wan Kenobi "Personally, i can't see the point, as without the original stock, its not an "as issued" AW so won't have its collectability"

​Thus it's unoriginal, but every other variation/modification/improvement is deemed to be OK

I am all for originality, but detractors need to get a grip/perspective

You misread my posts once again

It was stated by this forums very own Baldie Wan Kenobi "Personally, i can't see the point, as without the original stock, its not an "as issued" AW so won't have its collectability"

​Thus it's unoriginal, but every other variation/modification/improvement is deemed to be OK

I am all for originality, but detractors need to get a grip/perspective

I don't see the point about detracting. The comments above are simply giving information about how the AW specification evolved over time. Some people, like you, may regard that information as irrelevant "cobblers". That's fair enough...each to their own. However, I suspect others will find it of some interest. And, just to be clear, I personally think it's great that SS have made the effort to commission additional batches of the AW and I hope they continue to do so in the future so it remains available as a brand-new option for those who prefer its specification to the AX/AT. As long as there are people who want to buy them new, and are happy (as your punter was) with the current spec, then there's no downside that I can see.

No Mark, it would not matter to me one jot, what stock sides it had on, as i,m sure it doesn't matter to your customer, and rightly so. What I meant was, its not the issued rifle, and if he ever comes to sell it, that is exactly what people would say. People collect them if they are "as issued" and will pay a premium for such.

I have an AW .338 which is "as issued" I would have bought it regardless, its a fine rifle. Purely by good luck, it was one of the last of the models official production run, and as such would command the best price, were I to sell it [ which i doubt ]

I hope the guy enjoys his new rifle. :)

Well some people collect, some people shoot and some collect and shoot

All I will say is that this chap is a CSR Winter Leaguer!!!

But by your rationale (and as AI told me and others, the original stock moulds wore out...and we have no idea if any are still in inventory/stock) if an existing customer damages a set and has to make do with the newer skins vs the originals, does that rifle then cease to be authentic?

Archived