where do you stand on oily patch's?

where do you guys stand on putting oil down the barrel after cleaning? I have been putting a 1 inch oily patch (which is the correct size for cleaning) then I put a 3/4inch oily patch down after to make sure its well coated, I was told to do it this way ages ago and this is how I have been doing but I am starting to think its a bit uncalled for maybe just an oily 1inch patch is enough, where do you guys stand on this and how do you do it, its only a minor thing but just interested in how everyone else does it.

hi mate!!,

two patches soaked in buches bore shine,,, let it stand for a while,,,, bronze brush dipped in bore shine, ten or fifteen strokes, then clean paches untill they come out clean,,, then buches gun oil on a patch,, then clean paches to get rid of most of the oil?? job done

so you clean the oil back out after you put it through. The way I do it means when I take the rifle out of the cabinet before I even get anywhere I have to patch out the oil in the bore and dry the chamber as usually a small amount has go past the chamber plug, its a pain in the ass to have to do this before I even get the rifle out for a shot , maybe I will start drying out the oil after I put it down the bore so I can just lift her out and go.

Guest 308Panther

For me...

After cleaning w/ brush and solvent....1 or 2 dry patches to remove any residuals...

and 1 or 2 oiled patches and 1 dry patch.

308Panther

Guest Smeagle

Don't use any oil at all out here, the fine dust and sand sticks to it and is abrasive, besides the air is dry so there is no need.

You guys need to use it religiously but only a light coating and then dry out, for storage it it needs to settle and store the rifle either flat or mussel down on a soft pad, not stock down as traditional as this causes the oil to run into the action. Then patch out with a dry patch before going out and a quick rub over the outside with a oil cloth.

After cleaning I use two patches covered in Butches Gun Oil (Not Bore shine as that is a Copper/carbon remover and not a bore preserving oil) and put it away. Providing I remember I patch out prior to use next time but I have to confess this is not always the case.

A

Guest varmartin

I use butches gun oil on a patch , then 2 patches to remove most of it.

Then if I remember , I push 1 patch through before shooting. ( I always look through the bore prior to shooting also !!)

A note....

Stainless actions/barrels will rust if left damp. My sako 75 VLS started to show a few rust spots on the base of the action and on the scope bases a few days after shooting in the rain. I obviously did not do a good job when I put it away :D ..

Martin

Guest rogern

Same as most, I use the 'K' stuff then 1 oily patch then 1 dry patch.

I was told a long time ago that running a dry patch after the oily one will leave enough in the rifling to protect it.

And if you use the rifle a lot does it get chance to rust

Guest Rich.K

Hi,

If I was heavily oiling a spirit soaked patch then dry is good to de-oil. I use a oil/lube from the US cant think of the name right now ( cant be arsed to go to the garage as have been on the moors all day and it was a a tad wet, so am chilling!!). I put a tiny smidge on a patch and push through as last orders. I dont think the first shot is effected enough to worry about but you have to check it with your own rifle. A heavily oiled barrel can definitely throw the 1st shot well wild!

If the rifle is used/cleaned regularly and the storage is 100% dry I wouldnt worry too much about oiliing anyway

Cheers Rich.K

Guest Rich.K

Hi,

If I was heavily oiling a spirit soaked patch then dry is good to de-oil. I use a oil/lube from the US cant think of the name right now ( cant be arsed to go to the garage as have been on the moors all day and it was a a tad wet, so am chilling!!). I put a tiny smidge on a patch and push through as last orders. I dont think the first shot is effected enough to worry about but you have to check it with your own rifle. A heavily oiled barrel can definitely throw the 1st shot well wild!

If the rifle is used/cleaned regularly and the storage is 100% dry I wouldnt worry too much about oiliing anyway

Cheers Rich.K

if you do put an oily patch down your barrel, when you go back out your 1st shot will be out as you bullet will cause "dieseling" in your barrel

i remove all the oil with a couple of patches dipped in white spirit then some dry ones before i go out this helps with the accuracy of the 1st shot clean barrel escapade

Archived