Thermal advice

Hi SP , I've not long sold my HD50s as I'm getting the new Helion 50 which I'm told today should be a week on Monday . To me the 2.8x of the HD was perfect for FOV where as my friends 4.1x seemed tight and i would never have thought it would have made that much difference .

The battery compartment of the HD & QT models is not Pulsar's finest hour so i'm glad to get away from that issue . The feel of the Helion is just better and i know I'll see a vast difference from my HD .

I think Pulsar have been clever with FOV , Pixels and Sensor sizes to confuse us mortals but I'm still looking forward to getting my new one .

OSOK

Other than the Quantum lite XQ23V and XQ30V, all the other Quantum models are discontinued and replaced by the Helion models.

The new Helion XQ models have the same lenses, thermal core and near eye display as the old Quantum XQ models.

The Helion XP models have a 640x480 core which makes them much more expensive.

However the detection range of the Helion XP (640 core) Helion XQ (384 core) and Old XQ (384 core) are all the same when the same size of objective lens is used

In other words, the detection range of the new Helion XP 50, the Helion XQ50F and the old Quantum XQ50 are exactly the same because they use the same focal length objective lens and the pixel size is the same on all models - the fact that the XP50 has more pixels than the others has no effect on detection range - however, it has the effect of increasing the field of view and reducing the magnification compared to the 384 core models.

What's "best" for you depends on your intended use.

For long range foxing then any of the models above with a 50mm lens will do well.

For short range work such as spotting deer in woodland, a model with a shorter focal length lens (and therefore a wider field of view) would probably be best.

If that's your scenario, then by far the best bang for your buck are the Quantum Lite thermals - either XQ23V or XQ30V

These are essentially the old Quantum XQ model with a shorter focal length lens and at £1199 for the XQ23V and £1299 for the XQ30V are IMHO great value for money - and the 30 will still spot a fox at 800 yards!!

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks to all for the help

Phoenix

Basically I'm wanting it to spot fox before shooting with my drone pro and also to spot hare and partridge jugged up on a field so when I'm training the young pointers I can bring them round the wind and hunt the dog without it failing to find so giving them confidence

Cheers.

Other than the Quantum lite XQ23V and XQ30V, all the other Quantum models are discontinued and replaced by the Helion models.

The new Helion XQ models have the same lenses, thermal core and near eye display as the old Quantum XQ models.

The Helion XP models have a 640x480 core which makes them much more expensive.

However the detection range of the Helion XP (640 core) Helion XQ (384 core) and Old XQ (384 core) are all the same when the same size of objective lens is used

In other words, the detection range of the new Helion XP 50, the Helion XQ50F and the old Quantum XQ50 are exactly the same because they use the same focal length objective lens and the pixel size is the same on all models - the fact that the XP50 has more pixels than the others has no effect on detection range - however, it has the effect of increasing the field of view and reducing the magnification compared to the 384 core models.

What's "best" for you depends on your intended use.

For long range foxing then any of the models above with a 50mm lens will do well.

For short range work such as spotting deer in woodland, a model with a shorter focal length lens (and therefore a wider field of view) would probably be best.

If that's your scenario, then by far the best bang for your buck are the Quantum Lite thermals - either XQ23V or XQ30V

These are essentially the old Quantum XQ model with a shorter focal length lens and at £1199 for the XQ23V and £1299 for the XQ30V are IMHO great value for money - and the 30 will still spot a fox at 800 yards!!

Cheers

Bruce

The XQ30V will struggle to identify a fox at 250yds, detect something yes..... but 800yd spotting not a chance!

The new XQ30v will feature a totally flat lens, to over come the ghosting in previous models caused by the sensor heating and aspheric lenses. i.e the HD/XD/XQ models with aspheric lenses.

The XQ38 and XQ50 will still way outperform them.

The newer helion models have a heatsink fitted now to overcome the sensor heating and prevent the occasional ghosting seen in the HD/XD/XQ with uncooled sensor.

The lites will offer good value for money, but there not going to perform like an XQ38.

Archived