long range vermin

terrierman

Why can your .22-250 not fill that role?

If you're itching for a new rifle then look at something in the 6.5s for long range varminting.

I have no experience with the .17s and .204 but someone will come along to point out the benefits. I like the .22-250 and was shooting it out to 400yrds alongside my 300wsm. both easily hitting empty tomato cans but the gusting wind and my inability to read it accounted for a couple of misses with the smaller calibre. The difference was the 52gr AMax BC of .247 and 208gr Amax BC of 0.648.

Would say any of your suggested calibers are capable of very long range but that depends on what ranges your thinking.

222-50 is a pretty good long range caliber.

Why not put a good dialable scope on it?

A .223 with an 8 twist barrel is a very versatile vermin caliber.

You can do all sorts with it, run it with 75g-77gr bullets for long range to 600yds and it will still be accurate with 40gr bullets for closer stuff an then everything between. If you need a quieter lower power round you could even safely load it low to replicate the performance of a .22 Hornet if you really wanted to.

So many options...

No such thing as over kill,but if you feel the need a .20 cal will fit the bill nicely I run a 204 but a .20 vartarg would be a good choice

I agree with Pork Chop.

The phrase of 'Over Kill' always puzzles me. You want to kill it. So does it really matter what calibre you use, as long as it's safe, and you achieve a clean kill?

Even as suggested, a 6.5 will kill vermin way out there. And you just take head shots if you want the meat.

Yes the .204 is great for long range varminting, and although i wasn't keen on the rifle brand, i wish i'd bought a Tikka T3 in .204 instead.

The 6.5 Creedmoor would be better at longer ranges, (but obviously have more recoil) and it depends on what distances you're comfortable taking shots at vermin.. I seem to hear a lot of positive comments about the Creedmoor for the last few months, so it's obviously the calibre of choice at the minute..

If the cost of reloading is not an issue, all the rifles you currently have are just the job for the task.

However. If it's an excuse to buy another gun, that's a different matter.... :) I've never shot a 6.5, but i'm sure that calibre will fit your needs, and a lot more!

Chaz.

As Big Al said above, the .223 Rem is very versatile.

In fact his comments describe my .223 Rem with the 1 in 8 twist perfectly. I've used 75 grain to good effect out to 600 yards. And i'm also developing a 40 grain round for long distance varminting, which is looking very promising... And i've developed god knows how many bullet weights in between as well...

A .223 with an 8 twist barrel is a very versatile vermin caliber.

Chaz

terrierman,as you know,the 22/250 is a fine varmint cartridge-effective to at least 400yfor small quarrrysuch as you mention.

It would help if you indicated likely ranges.To avoid further confusions in suggestions, do you mean by 'overkill' that the 22/250 is rather more energy/velocity etc than is needed-agreed,if ranges are shorter.

No 6.5 is going to be quieter and cheaper,of course-it's more 'overkill' in that sense,just as no exotic varmint 22 cf will be quieter and cheaper-or anything like as convenient-totally not what you seem to want,of course,so let's get back on track. (something between 22rf and 22/250.;economical,moderates well,and.......has trajectory for for high % kills at mid ranges...which are...?...100-200+ maybe?

So far,I'm with the 223 suggestions. The 22rfm isn't accurate enough to really cut it beyond 125y (had three,including H&K and Anschutz ),the Hornet will get 150 in 22 (two)maybe a tad further with the new better BC bullets ,though the rather different reworked 17Hornet looks a better proposition to 175y+ (though 'like a 55g 223' is plain misleading when wind picks up)-the rf 17WSM is too new/unavailable,and might run into the ammo issues etc that have blighted the 17HMR-another decent 150 cartridge,but for the ammo problems.

Fireball-yes,but then you are really into 222 territory(two of them-lovely cartridge) though it's a fine cartridge in 17, and is really just a slightly less effective 17rem (personal favourite) which is a fine 275 number..currently with none of the supply issues of the Fireball.And overlapping basic 223 (three-Sako varmint best).The PPCs (22 esp,and 6 -three) have the accuracy,but your getting into tame wildcat territory...as is the excellent 6BR (two)...or 22BR-but that's a modern 22/250+.....custom barrel/dies...££s.

OK-lots of others-there are near two dozen 17s alone-but most are challenging wildcats etc....not 'pick up and go' factory ammo option vermin guns."Fox" changes things to need for a less 'underkill' cartridge,of course....(223?)

Also look to see what is available to shoot your cartridge choice-vermin at some distance are about accuracy (a corvid is quite thin!) and custom rfles throw 'economy' out the window (as can reloading for exotica).

Hmmm-subject to range, 17Hornet looks available hassle free,interesting,and a bit different-some like that-and the most 'mid way' between what you already have,and with some savings potential,esp if reloaded. And excels at distances that don't 'need' the 22/250 (fine varminter, don't have one-light bullet 6mms cover that and then some-but that's another ball game.)

I'd not even consider the exotic wildcats-for the afficionado,who enjoys their challenges and subtle rewards-get a domesticat (the best wildcats usually become these-just as did the "22 Varminter"-that new fangled 1937 number-tamed in 1965- aka 22/250 Rem.

Plenty choices ,really-subject to ranges-always best to keep to 'comfort'zone-and avoid misses (despite occasional hits!)

gbal

In my experience I'd steer clear of the 17 hmr!! What about a .17 rem. Just a hmr on steroids. Extreamly flat shooting. Hardly any felt recoil. Only downside is the little bullets get pushed around by the wind a lot. No more than the like of a hmr. Or if you want to go bigger for better bc then as previously said. The 6.5 range is the one. I've had a 6.5X47 lapua made for exactly that purpose. Long range varminting/ occasional deer. But whatever your covered legally with 6mm+

There's loads of choices out there and if your in no rush to get a gun you can sometimes drop on a bargain semi-custom job.

.204 Ruger or .222/.223 would be my choices.

The former is an especially suited medium/long range vermin control calibre and more than capable to 400 yds. Zeroe'd for 200 yds using 40gr V-max, it's pretty much point and shoot to 250 yards and is -4.3inches at 300 yds (MV 3900fps).

.223 using 40gr Vmax is similar: MV 3800fps; 200 yd zero gives MPBR of around 240 yds point and shoot and is about 5.5 inches low at 300 yds.

:lol: Edited to account for me being blind and not seeing that others already mentioned the 20 cal!

Forget the HMR.

17 remington is a nice round to shoot, I'm getting around 30 shots before accuracy starts to drift. You will have a few problems sourcing brass though if your reloading, which I would recommend. Apart from that I would definitely recommend it.

Then as others have said the 20s will fill the gap quite well.post-1424-0-58834700-1490293559.jpg

That's my 17 Remmington:-)

Black n silver, pork chop and chaz mention it ? :P

The 17 hornet is a great little round - I have a CZ 572 sat in a Boyds Thumbhole stock.

My rifle zips the little 20 grn pills at an impressive 3770 fps - which is pretty good for 12 grains of powder

With the 17 Wildcat Evo fitted - The 17 H is quieter than the HMR's that I have owed and is certainly the quietest CF I have had.

Obviously the little pill isn't great in strong winds - So personally I leave it in the cabinet if its howling.

On calmer days - 250 yrds shots are so routine as to be boring . I have shots several magpies / pigeons out to 340 yrds - but also missed a few due to bad wind calls.

As Gbal says, there is a lot of misleading info that could lead you into thinking its the equivalent of a 223 - Its not.. Its far more affected by the elements and hits with far less authority.

That said, I am happy to go foxing with it out to 150 yrds - where I would not shoot foxes with a HMR.

ATB

S

The 17 hornet is a great little round - I have a CZ 572 sat in a Boyds Thumbhole stock.

My rifle zips the little 20 grn pills at an impressive 3770 fps - which is pretty good for 12 grains of powder

With the 17 Wildcat Evo fitted - The 17 H is quieter than the HMR's that I have owed and is certainly the quietest CF I have had.

Obviously the little pill isn't great in strong winds - So personally I leave it in the cabinet if its howling.

On calmer days - 250 yrds shots are so routine as to be boring . I have shots several magpies / pigeons out to 340 yrds - but also missed a few due to bad wind calls.

As Gbal says, there is a lot of misleading info that could lead you into thinking its the equivalent of a 223 - Its not.. Its far more affected by the elements and hits with far less authority.

That said, I am happy to go foxing with it out to 150 yrds - where I would not shoot foxes with a HMR.

ATB

S

couldnt of put the 17 hornet better myself if you dont mind what powder are you using please?

• 3 months later...

+1 for .17 Fireball or .17Rem. My current favourite is the Fireball as I've recently picked up a lovely little Cooper Phoenix. A .22-250 was my first ever c/f and I've just sold it because it was too loud and kicked too much for what I needed. I've got a couple of .222Rems which is another great round but for Magpies and Crows the Fireball is relatively quiet (just picked up a Swift Precision .17 specific Mod and cannot believe how quiet it is on the Fireball - genuinely no louder than an hmr), very little recoil which means I can see what I'm hitting (usually just a big puff of feathers!).

If I was after Charlie specifically I'd would take one of the .222's but TBH the Fireball is the only thing that ever comes out of the cabinet these days. The only downsides are wind performance & supply of brass, but at least it can be 'manufactured' from .221 Fireball.

Archived