scope mount advice needed

donutboy

I need some scope mount buying advice.

I've just bought a Accuracy International At308 and a Schmidt 5-25x56 scope and need some advice on which mount to go for.

I think the rifle has a 20moa rail, so am i right in thinking i will just need a 0moa one piece mount?

Also any advice on which brand to go for.

A.I, Spuhr, or any other brands you can suggest

thanks B)

Tier or Spuhr , doesn't matter as they are both good , I prefer Tier as they do a Long saddle option which means the rings are further apart and less likely to loose zero if knocked . If you go for a long saddle check the main tube length on your Schmidt as i don't think they have much length .

If you've got a set of rings then zero your rifle and find out how much elevation is lost from a 100 yard zero . Once you know this amount of moa then give yourself approx 5 moa tolerance from bottom and whatever is left would be the amount of moa to order for the unimount . If you don't need to have all the scopes elevation available to you for your type of shooting I'd still run with at least a 20 moa mount incase you need to put it on another rifle at some point .

OSOK

Either of the mounts mentioned are very good. Surprisingly enough on the AIs I use at work and privately, all use AI ring mounts. With correct torque setting no issues with loss of zero. They are however less attractive in every way but price!

I posted this on another thread last year:

'A 5-25 PMII has 22 Mils of travel (or 74.25 MOA). If you want to get the maximum available adjustment from the scope you should have a mounting system that provides at least half of this angular adjustment.

This is why the mount that Accuracy International sells for the 5-25x56 has a 45 MOA incline. But a 40 MOA incline will do the job just fine. On my rifle I have a 20 MOA rail and a 20 MOA mount from ERA-TAC (which is Recknagel's tactical brand). But this is not strictly necessary for most use.'

I posted this on another thread last year:

'A 5-25 PMII has 22 Mils of travel (or 74.25 MOA). If you want to get the maximum available adjustment from the scope you should have a mounting system that provides at least half of this angular adjustment.

This is why the mount that Accuracy International sells for the 5-25x56 has a 45 MOA incline. But a 40 MOA incline will do the job just fine. On my rifle I have a 20 MOA rail and a 20 MOA mount from ERA-TAC (which is Recknagel's tactical brand). But this is not strictly necessary for most use.'

The 45MOA mount on the 5-25x56 is only needed for long range work (e.g. the L115A3 338 Lap Mag with the MKii 5-25x56 taking shots out to 1500m and beyond). The OP is talking about a suitable mount for a 5-25x56 on an AT308 with an inbuilt 20MOA pic rail - for the typical max range of a 7.62x51 round a zero MOA mount with the 20MOA pic rail is going to be fine. BTW the latest L115A4 spec has the 45MOA built into the rail so they are now using 0 MOA AI mounts even with the 338 Lap Mag round...

Archived