Using a mod on a smaller calibre

Hi

I have two spare slots for 308/30 cal mods on my ticket

One will be the standard 'over muzzle brake' mod for the AI AXMC on order

However - I am planning to convert my sako TRG 22 to 6.5cm creedmoor - should I get a dedicated 6.5mm mod or will a .30 cal do a job??

Would be mainly range use - I like the recoil and blast benefits without the anti social aspects of the muzzle brake - presumably the mod is less efficient for a small a calibre - and catastrophic for a larger calibre ;-)

Thanks

Hobbit

It will work! Just not as well in regards to noise reduction in comparison to the decidate 6.5 mod. Weigh up what's more important whether its efficiency or money.

I've run 308 mods over 6.5 and .223 with no issue at all, on paper it may not be as efficient, but it's plenty good enough in practice.

Some will tell you you can't do it from a legal point of view.....that's boll0cks.

As above-any loss of efficiency/noise reduction/kind of noise and probably recoil is slight-and subjective at that...other variables -rifle to rifle,ear to ear.

Chanonry's point held for both my ears..Mark 1 as issued (normal wear/tear) and Mark 11 ( gun blast deterioration).

Grum's point is supported -checked with my FLO-by the normal commercial practice of offering a limited set of suppressor sizes...eg ASA Ultra .233 suitable for "all 22cfs"; 25 "243,6.5x55 and up to bullet size 6.7mm; .30 "30cal non magnums" :8mm "8x57".

So "up to .xx" is far more common than specific calibre by calibre......though not all manufacturers need coincide with ASE's groupings. For example,when did you last see a moderator marked "270W" -hardly an unusual cartridge (ASE .30 group).

It does indicate some flexibility,always given the hole is larger than the bullet,of course,but if you have two or more different hole mods,of the exact make/external appearance/thread etc,some care is needed not to mistakenly put the too small on the too big calibre! Label them clearly.,lest you do notice a catastrophic difference one way round!

gbal

Chaps

very helpful

I may have missed a trick in specifying a "30 cal mod" versus "up to 30 cal mod"

I have no problem buying the 6.5mm specific - it is the going and froing with the FET and the ever growing pool of stuff

The AXMC on order is a long action with a 308 conversion fitted - I take it from the thread that as and when I get the 300 win Mag conversion I will need to specify a 30 cal magnum mod for it??

Cheers

hobbit

Or just have all your mods in .30 cal. Regards JCS

Yes,or have thread specific calibre/mods

ie KISS - keep it simple silencers.

Gets a little complicated if you buy (used,already threaded) and/orhave 17 to 338 cartridges..over a few years....but I agree: "one size fits all" has much to recommend it,for convenience and safety insurance...especially if starting from square one.

g

I have found standardizing moderators to be a slow process. I have three rifles threaded for 1/2 inch x 20 UNF. Each muzzle has a slightly different length of threaded section and I think that this is a pain. Ideally the length of the threaded section should be the same on each rifle.

Regards

JCS

Agreed-factor in the variation in possible barrel diameters against thread sizes and it's even harder.....a super light pencil barreled 223 carry rifle might be OK with 1/2 inch thread; a 1/2 inch thread on a heavy barrel 308 gave me collywobles,and was recut 5/8 ;and a 1/2 inch on a 1inch plus heavy bull barrel F class semimag is worse.

It's hard to avoid compromising if 'standardising'-though this is much less an issue if you do not get into several quite different cartridge /rifle designs/uses....and temptation does not occur somewhere down the line.....Easiest of all perhaps...just 6.5(s,but where was the CM forty years ago? :-).

KISS-keep it somewhat simpler ?

g

I have a 308 Tier one spartan mod on my tika 308, I ordered another one which was listed for my 6.5 creedmoor , and when it arrived it was exactly the same mod as the 308, just had 6.5 written on the box in felt tip

• 1 month later...

Just had a Spartam Mk1 mod corrode on me.

It was supposed to be .223 but to all intents and purposes a 30 cal.

I will never buy from the company again !!

I saw someones ticket the other day that had 'variable cal' rather than 'Full-Bore' like my local force do.

If your going AXMC with a tac brake, AI's own mod is bored for a 338, one size fits all! 338,300,308. and down , the 338 can, whether AI's or ASE etc

work perfect for all range use, Noise aint an issue on the range, so a few DB's one way or another make no difference!

Ive used a 338 SL7 on a 6BR, sounded like somone spitting! deffo would'nt need drums out in the field !

For complete durability take the brake off and bang a SL7i on the AX, :lol: about £310 from most dealers....................

post-14134-0-99748600-1494797343_thumb.jpgNewsatten

You are right! I picked up an over break AI mod with the new rifle, shown, and the mod is deffo a 338 cal - it just has 308 engraved on it

any body know how robust these mods are? any maintenance involved?

Archived