What are the in-fashion FAC Air Rifles at the mo?

brown dog

Rooks have my brain returning to the idea of a FAC air rifle.

(I have an S200, which is perfect, in terms of size weight and price, but it just doesn't have enough grunt and, I'm told, they don't last if uprated to FAC)

Happy with s/h, but just don't really know what's out there nowadays, the air rifle market seems to constantly evolve and change at high speed.. Grateful for any recommendations.

Wants:

Light

Smallish

Properly useable l/h

Not fugly

< £500 s/h

Don't wants:

Anything approaching the weight of a centrefire, it's an air rifle, not a 338.

Anything as long as a brown bess.

Anything that's r/h only

Anything that's fugly

Anything > £500 s/h

Performance wise I'd be looking at something that can run at 30 to 34ftlb in .22cal with a 16/18gn pellet for optimum performance.s/h is good but there are plenty of dawgs out there that don't deliver.New I'd be looking at something mechanical, Fx maybe.But I'm happy with my rapid mk2.

Never had the need for an FAC air rifle but do like the look of the Theoben eliminator.

Don't know why, but looks a nice air rifle. Dont know how it performs though.

Shame they don't really do an FAC air rifle target shooting discipline.

Vortex

Thanks. I've been googling, quite intrigued by this:

I had a 12lb Compatto, some people love them, some people hate them. I was more in the latter camp. The stocks fore end feels flimsy. The trigger is terrible by half decent air rifle standards these days, you can mess about with them obviously, but out of the box its very heavy. Some (like mine) are also very pellet fussy. There were also lots of problems with air leaks from recollection, newer ones are probs better.

None of the reviewers on the interweb ever seem to have a bad new air rifle for review, same as with the magazines these days - everyones either too afraid to lose money or get sued to give an honest review. Aside from the manufacturers obviously only sending the good ones out for testing.

If you ask on the AGF etc, Rapid's will likely be the most recommended and may be Daystates like the Airwolf/Wolverine. I'm not keen on Rapids purely aesthetically. Consider an Airwolf/Wolverine in spite of the fact Daystate have a lot of haters, and theres that strange little Tony bloke leading the brand... I'll probably end up with another FX, Wildcat/Impact/other.

Best bet is just to find something in your price bracket that doesnt make you vomit to look at it, has a reasonable shot count (a 60ft lb rifle that has a shot count of 15 is a bit pointless) and most importantly you can try before buying to confirm its accurate; there are a lot of air rifles (even new 1500 quid ones) that you'd have better luck chucking at a rook instead of firing it if its more than 30 yards away....

Never had the need for an FAC air rifle but do like the look of the Theoben eliminator.

Don't know why, but looks a nice air rifle. Dont know how it performs though.

Shame they don't really do an FAC air rifle target shooting discipline.

Vortex

Nice self contained sporting rifle, but needs constant practise. Peeps tend to wind them up to full power and beyond and wonder why they can't shoot for ****.I had an early HE model in .22 &.20 cal for many years .It needed perfect technique to extract best accuracy. I still have my fac rapids in .177 and .22

Ive been looking at this too
I have a empty slot for FAC air rifle & was thinking of converting my S400 .22
But its not worth it economically...as they lose £ value & u cant convert back...

So Im gonna go for a .25 FAC air rifle pcp to take advantage of the power gain :-)

I always wanted a FAC air rifle but something different to the norm , I had planed to get a Gun power SSS and have it re -barreled and new valve in 257cal . (NOT .25 CAL)

But its very limited as in it really needs a dive bottle attached all the time because without being feathered to the bottle it only give 4 -6 shots,

not good for days varminting

Every one raves about the fx bobcat and if it were me that's were I'd be looking what I like is that it is tuneable to your desired situation go take a look at ted's holdover tv and seeIt in action!!

also the air rife thing on field sports Britton has a lot to as about it!!

Every one raves about the fx bobcat and if it were me that's were I'd be looking what I like is that it is tuneable to your desired situation go take a look at ted's holdover tv and seeIt in action!!

also the air rife thing on field sports Britton has a lot to as about it!!

I'm waiting on the return of my shooting buddys ticket to see how a .25cal wildcat performs :)

A factory FAC Theoben Rapid can be had for not much money. providing its not been mucked about with (being factory set for FAC, its less likely), not a great deal to go wrong, later models have better riggers and regulators, might not fit your fugley requirement though

A factory FAC Theoben Rapid can be had for not much money. providing its not been mucked about with (being factory set for FAC, its less likely), not a great deal to go wrong, later models have better riggers and regulators, might not fit your fugley requirement though

:lol::) Yup - just too damn fugly!

Talking of fugly air rifles, the more I google on air rifles, the more I shake my head in wonder.

Not only has someone designed these rifles, sat back, looked at their work and thought 'good job, looks great'.

....other people; marketeers, engineers, the board, have also looked at the designs, and also said, 'yup, good job. Looks great. Lets' make it'

post-1450-0-79429400-1489911318_thumb.jpg

post-1450-0-96524100-1489911387_thumb.png

• 5 months later...

I have a fx impact in .25 it spits out 25 .5 pellets at 918 fps approx 48 ftlb ,It is probably one of the most advanced pcp airguns on the market today .not cheap but lots of fun to shoot .

Of the guns I have had in Fac form

Rapid in .22 and .25 ,very reliable simple guns ,bit long in the tooth now

Gunpower stealth I rebarreled this with a 22" lw barrel from a s400 ran at 55 ftlb but only single shot ,don't buy unless you want to replace everything inside the gun

Mk 3 daystate low power fac ok but not really enough air

Airranger in .25 that was ok but it leaked ,I had two and they both did

And

The impact ,just a different league ,very accurate but need to be set up correctly when you buy them unfortunately this is the point where it is easy to get it wrong .

Archived