Tikka T3 - 22BR

Heres one from last week, nothing flashy about this one, about as understated as a Stealth Bomber ;)

Tikka T3, Bergara 9 twist 24" barrel chambered in 22BR. Standard Tikka Varmint stock and a Tier One rail

Metalwork finished in armour black Cerakote.

post-13063-0-71730500-1489520185_thumb.jpg

post-13063-0-51752400-1489520206_thumb.jpg

I think you will struggle to find someone to do this work.

Few people will risk their expensive reamers in factory barrels.

Al..

Please excuse my nativity on this but, does your comment suggest the reamer risk is therefore reduced if reaming a custom barrel, as opposed to reaming a factory tube? If so, how? - not a machinist here

Cheers

The steel in factory barrels can be hard and not as free cutting as most quality custom barrels. You only need to damage or blunt a reamer and your in a money losing scenario if you were to take on re-chambering a factory barrel.

My own personal reason for not doing it (as well as the above) is that I cannot vouch for the barrel, if the finished rifle doesn't shoot well then my work could be called into question, not a situation I want. If I fit a new custom barrel I will guarantee it shoots to a standard that the style of rifle and caliber would be expected to.

I think you will struggle to find someone to do this work.

Few people will risk their expensive reamers in factory barrels.

Thanks.i struggled to even find a smith with a reamer. but I did and he's done one for me, a custom. But I'd like a slow twist now. He did agree to re-ream a tikka for me. He's just a bit busy right now.

I just really wanted to double check it could be done, he's old and sometimes the question doesn't fully get answered.

But I do understand what your saying about damaging a reamer, iv heard it before. But also seen a few guys talking about re-ream factory barrels.

I guess some do it, some don't.

Thanks.i struggled to even find a smith with a reamer. but I did and he's done one for me, a custom. But I'd like a slow twist now. He did agree to re-ream a tikka for me. He's just a bit busy right now.

I just really wanted to double check it could be done, he's old and sometimes the question doesn't fully get answered.

But I do understand what your saying about damaging a reamer, iv heard it before. But also seen a few guys talking about re-ream factory barrels.

I guess some do it, some don't.

Yes it can be done for sure Bully but there is actually a little more work involved than it would be fitting a new profiled custom barrel.

Your man will need to cut off the tenon threads or at least part of them as the 22BR case is shorter than the 22-250, he could then run into issues holding whats left of the barrel, all in all a real ball ache of a job so if he appears to be too busy it would make sense ;)

The steel in factory barrels can be hard and not as free cutting as most quality custom barrels. You only need to damage or blunt a reamer and your in a money losing scenario if you were to take on re-chambering a factory barrel.

My own personal reason for not doing it (as well as the above) is that I cannot vouch for the barrel, if the finished rifle doesn't shoot well then my work could be called into question, not a situation I want. If I fit a new custom barrel I will guarantee it shoots to a standard that the style of rifle and caliber would be expected to.

Al

Thanks for that - makes sense

ATB

My (very experienced) gunsmith plain refuses to ream out existing chambers on T3s/Sakos (same thing). They're as hard as the hobs of hell and will knacker a reamer in short order.

Archived