McMillan Sako Varmint & GRS Sporter

I'm having a 595 rebarreled,by Alan,and thinking about replacing the plastic stock,in time. I know they're radically different,but there isn't too much choice for this model.

I'm looking for views from anyone who owns,or has tried,either one of these stocks. Thanks.

The McM Sako varmint is excellent. I have two on 595 actions and I am very happy with them. Ergonomically it is comfortable and it is absolutely dimensionally stable as you would expect. The only negative comment is the cheekpiece is a tad low with 50 and 56mm scope so both mine wear add on comb raisers. I am certain that they can be specified with adjustable cheek pieces so that would solve the issue. I have handled the GRS and that was comfortable too but a bit too blingy for my conservative tastes!

McMillan have a sale on for the Sako Varmint stocks( 2 different models) one only $450. Problem is,getting them here. I have to agree about the GRS stocks looking rather over complicated,but all that adjustment must help regarding accuracy.

I use the GRS stock with my .308 and it's proved to be an excellent choice. Adjustable for LOP and cheek position means perfect alignment every time when shooting prone, and I even use that one for stalking. It should be pillar bedded, but as yet, I haven't had mine done. I mended a prior split caused by the previous "seller" over tightening another action into it (judging by the impression indelibly printed into the stock!). Lightweight for what it is and very rigid,

IMG_1249_zps2zrop8cz.jpg

IMG_1253_zpsi8emmic1.jpg

IMG_1251_zpsgvz6p4bf.jpg

I have my 595 6.5x47 bedded into a GRS Sporter, and my Sako 75 .308 bedded into a GRS Hunter. I love the instant adjustability,it was the need for a raised comb that sent me looking for an adjustable stock.That and the grip fits my large paws perfectly.

I was initially keen on the idea of a Macmillan, particularly a thumbhole type, but found that the afore mentioned attributes of the GRS made them perfect for me, and that none of the Macmillans fitted my hands.

One thing I would say is that some of my pals find the grip too large for their hands. I would say ideally try and handle one (as I did) as you may find that the Decima versions (10% scaled down) would be more suited to your hand size. Perhaps difficult since there may be no one in Shetland, but if you happen to come down to Aberdeen I'd be happy to let you handle mine.

Now I've just looked at the GRS site to see they're replacing the options of the Decima and original sized Hunter or Sporter stocks with a revised single model, presumably with a slightly reduced size, but it would be worth contacting them to find out

Archived