stick with a 20 tac or move on to a 22br, what to do,

ok lads i have 2 x 20 tac's and an open slot for a 22br

one is my nv set up based on a tikka 595 and i am very happy with it,

the other is a nice compact sako s491 20" barrel that does not get used, so i am thinking of selling this one on and heading for a 22 br for a bit longer plinking /shooting and for vermin, and a new calibre to have a play with,

so after reading the thread below about twist rate would be looking for a 1/12 and be running 50 to 70 gr bullets, not on a tight neck just a simple 22br,

who's running one and what's your rating on the calibre, before i take the plunge,

oh, i am not looking a heavy rifle to old and long on the tooth to be humping a mahoosive lump of metal all,over the place, my ideal rifle would be along theses line if the actions work with the br case and be a multi shot as i am not interested in single shot rifles for varminting.

sako,75 22" barrel 1/12

tikka 595 22" barrel 1/12

or what are your thoughts please,

thanks

bob.

You've been trying to sell that old sako for ages, what makes you think somebody is going to buy it now?

with a low shot count and it being very accurate : maybe someone will have it,

it's simply not being used as i have the tikka, no other reason than that and i just fancy a play with a 22 br,

simples

With 5800 acres id go 22br but to have a proper advantage id be using 80 grain A-max in an 8 twist , for range thatd beat the Tac hands down . Do it , one day i hope to own one . Who is your smith bob if you don't mind me asking ? Atb tim...

hi Tim

none other than neil mckillop.

i'm not sure on the 80 gr, but just how low weight bullet does that 8 twist allow for, if i could get it done on a tikka action i would be as happy as larry as the drone could do with a run out on a longer reaching calibre,

i have the 6mmbr but that's a 25" tube and a tad to long for humping around with the drone on it,

bob

Id of thought an 8T would still shoot down to 50s ok , my 223 ackley 8T shot them 50sbks accurately and 80 A-max's were silly accurate , niel is a great bloke hes done 2 rifle for me . Intend to use him on the next too ..

I use a Bat action 22BR for shooting foxes at night with a thermal spotter and Drone Pro night viz.

I use a 52 gr bullet with RS52 powder and it is absolutely devastating, if the fox is within 300 yds just put the crosshairs on it and squeeze, no need to allow for any drop at all.

It is probably the most accurate rifle that I have ever owned and would definately recommend one.

It is a single shot, non-eject as I used to hate trying to find an ejected cartridge in long grass at night when using my 20practical.

With a day scope mounted I shot my best ever 100yd 3 shot group with this rifle, 0.045"

Get one....you'll love it.

Im not sure if the 22BR will feed out of your mags though, but I think I remember Baldie on here saying that he modifies AI mags to get them to feed the BR. I mag feed my 20prac TikkaT3 using AI mags so I would guess you could get your 595 to take an AI mag.

cheers Justin

that's the kind of reply i needed, not some smart Rs remark about something else,

ok i'm on the search now,

just need something to regenerate the interest,

bob.

bob,just to add a little to Justin's post-Maximm Point Blank Range is often quite important for foxing.

A reasonable guide to MPBR is on "Shooterscalculator.com".

300y is indeed as Justin says, possible (for a heavy custom action/pressure) but a little fiddling with the calculator will show that BC/MV and so on do not have a big effect at plausible 22BR performance and 'fox' size ...ie 4" zone,but zeroing distance is important for max PBR.

eg 52gBC.225@3750 5" zone zero at 260 yards ,MPBR is then 300y.

4" is probably more foxsize,but a bit of BC and MV variation does not change MPBR more than about 20y either way....which is pretty good.It's just an excellent 22 cartridge (I have/had 6,7 and 30 calibre on the BR case). Mag feed might need some smithing,but possible in some factory actions-as you will know from your 6BR.

gbal

bob,just to add a little to Justin's post-Maximm Point Blank Range is often quite important for foxing.

A reasonable guide to MPBR is on "Shooterscalculator.com".

300y is indeed as Justin says, possible (for a heavy custom action/pressure) but a little fiddling with the calculator will show that BC/MV and so on do not have a big effect at plausible 22BR performance and 'fox' size ...ie 4" zone,but zeroing distance is important for max PBR.

eg 52gBC.225@3750 5" zone zero at 260 yards ,MPBR is then 300y.

4" is probably more foxsize,but a bit of BC and MV variation does not change MPBR more than about 20y either way....which is pretty good.It's just an excellent 22 cartridge (I have/had 6,7 and 30 calibre on the BR case). Mag feed might need some smithing,but possible in some factory actions-as you will know from your 6BR.

gbal

cheers bud,

long time no speak, you are of course correct, i think i may have to stick to the 20 tac multi shot for foxing ( very happy with it i had 7 in 5 hours last night with the drone, ) and i think the 20 br may have to be a daytime plinking/varminting tool but i really don't like single shots, i may have to ask if anyone is running a multi shot and what they have had done to make it work, the 6 br is 'or can be' as you know a bugger to get to feed but this one,seems to be fine,

i may well be looking for everything and nothing, as i am just trying to keep my interest in shooting going, don't laugh but i even thought of having another 20 tac built on bench rest style with a 26 "tube and seeing just how far i could push the calibre in the summer,

now there's a thought.

bob.

I'm running a mag fed 22 BR, using a modified AI mag. The modification is just a spacer in the back of the magazine.

cheers Ian

may i ask the make and details of the action,please.

thank you

bob.

Hi Bob,

Just in the process of having a 22BR built by Steve Kershaw on a Stiller Predator action, with modifications to the AI mags its anticipated they will cycle really well.

Can't wait to get it out for a play, having seen the incredible groups this reamer has shot for Steve, I can't help feeling that I'll be the largest limiting factor in the whole set-up.

If you get one i'm sure you won't regret it.

Regards, Rob.

Iv just had an 8 twist 22br built.

I'm using 80's I measured up some 50's to use for fun, but even with starting loads and advise from hornady the 50gr VMAX will most likely blow up before meeting the target, so I didn't load them, too much rpm.

As far as neck turning goes, when necking down, it seems normal to get a thickening at the neck shoulder junction. which needs turning off. So my way of thinking is well, your there turning anyway, might as well have a tight neck and clean up the whole neck too.

In saying this, I'm not sure what a no turn chamber does, can it feed the thickening, then what happens after firing, does it go to the inside then you need to ream it?

The 6mmbr website has a good 22br page which shows the ins and outs, including the brass thickening.

cheers lads

this all sounds great,

so i'm on the hunt as soon as this lazy bigger gets the 20 tac sold,

ps: never neck turned so that's new :)

bob

I use a Bat action 22BR for shooting foxes at night ..

I use a 52 gr bullet with RS52 powder and it is absolutely devastating, if the fox is within 300 yds just put the crosshairs on it and squeeze, no need to allow for any drop at all.

I'd guess then your zero is at least 220yds if that's the case.

I'd guess then your zero is at least 220yds if that's the case.

Chris,see posts 9 and 17.

Zero would need to be 260-265 approx-depending on BC/MV/scope height....and of course what the +/- tolerance inches are (4-5" hit circle for fox?) -though all these variables don't impact the MPBR very much within plausible values for the load/quarry.Without checking,11/2 to 2" high at 100y sounds ball park,but the formula referenced will give a better zero-ing value...and check at 100y-makes a reset easier.

g

As this proposal hinges on selling a rifle which has been for sale more times than Katie Price's life story, I'm not holding my breath for the final update!

????

As this proposal hinges on selling a rifle which has been for sale more times than Katie Price's life story, I'm not holding my breath for the final update!

i wish you would hold your breath,

i have plenty of money to go out and have neil build me a rifle, i just don't see the point in having a spare rifle sat doing nothing, but if i need your advice i'll remember to not bother asking for it,

bob

That's easy then Bob. Just get Neil to build it and update the thread when it's done. If you have plenty of cash just get it done and put the sako to the back of the cabinet. Oh, and can you lend me a tenner till next week?

Archived