Schultz and Larsen

JBirchall

Just wondered if there are any Schultz fans/owners out there as I'm looking potentially at buying a Victory with grade 2 wood.

I just have an itch to go old school with a wood blued rifle again and after having handled various models including the Ambassador I am very impressed with the build quality.

Any opinions most welcome.

A pal of mine has one in 243 and another in 30-06 - and he absolutely thinks they're the dogs danglies.

I've not shot them but they come to shoulder nicely, the wood is lovely and the bolt is like wet ice on wet ice.

I know a few other people who have one and I haven't heard any negative comments.

Cheers

Bruce

We have a couple, my wife shoots a Rask Mølle built M97DL Sporter chambered in 6,5-284, this is the obscure biathlon stock styled rifle and is superbly accurate and we also have an Otterup built RPLT42 chambered in 8x58RD with a rear locking action. Everything is or at least was manufactured in house. We spent an interesting afternoon with Morton Krog the owner (Post Jorgen Nielsen) a few years ago, we had the full tour around the factory including the cut rifle machines and the barrel lapping systems plus everything else, a fascinating insight. These days Morton has moved yet again near to Horsens I think. The good news is the brand is now well supported with a new importer and for me it is hard to better the S&L brand, one of the great Dansk secrets.

EDIT - Some video and other stuff from the Rask Mølle factory here: http://danskgevaer.com/wp/

Thanks for the insight Davy. I think I've found an aficionado. As far as I can see they are the only mainstream rifle manufacturer churning out cut barrels. I seem to be seduced by the authenticity aspect. Thanks for the info. I did find an old Guns Review which featured a belt fed MG manu'd by them. Unfortunately I didn't see one at the importers the other day. Very interesting company with seemingly a great deal of heritage.

I was over in the new factory as well as the stock production last September. I was very impressed with what I saw. The moderator production and attention to detail in alignment of bores/threads was nice to see. Hope to try one soon, also very interested in one of their new alu tactical actions. Would be my first switch barrel rifle. The Victory rifle I had in our shop was extremely well made, don't think one will go wrong. Saying that, I have no clue about wood grades and could not judge.

edi

Thanks Edi. Interesting what you say about their moderators. I am going to try their Ultradome model which is an ultra slim and lightweight over barrel model. I've heard the finish on them is such that you can run a key down the outside of it without marking it permanently. I'm having one anyway purely on the aesthetics so will be interesting to see how it performs. They are only available in non spigot threads which is a shame but not a show stopper.

S&L have a fascinating history and have built for many other DK arms companies and were involved in the manufacture of ammunition as well. There is a great book "Schultz & Larsen Otterup Geværfabrik" outlining the history of S&L however it is in Danish which can be a problem, regardless it has some good pictures and is worth persevering with. I have read some however I usually had to resort to asking my wife about specific words and if I was lucky she would read the remainder of the chapter before realising she was getting turned over :)

I would have another in a heartbeat and probably will just because...

Archived