Rats in my shed

Mauser3006

I've got rats in my shed where I keep most of my food. So far they haven't found their way in to any of my boxes, but have made a howling mess of the place spilling grass seed everywhere and crapping all over everything! Infuriatingly they aren't taking any of the poison that I have laid (off the shelf stuff from B+Q - probably rubbish). Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting rid of the blighters?

I've got rats in my shed where I keep most of my food. So far they haven't found their way in to any of my boxes, but have made a howling mess of the place spilling grass seed everywhere and crapping all over everything! Infuriatingly they aren't taking any of the poison that I have laid (off the shelf stuff from B+Q - probably rubbish). Does anyone have any first hand experience of getting rid of the blighters?

.308 , its the only way :)

.308 , its the only way :)

Seriously keep baiting them or get in there with a JRT , block off any holes that you can , also lock your cat in there if possible.

Buy 6 traps. Leave them in the shed for a few days, near the perimeter.

Then bait them with peanut butter, but do not set them.

Then set them all one night.

Other option is a dustbin (with optional water in the bottom) & a tipping platform, baited at the end. Use a small magnet to add a sudden (not progressive) tip.

First of all you will need to remove their food source, then get some bait down. Once the bait been eaten keep replenishing it until they have stopped feeding on it. (this is vital to do)

All off the shelf bait will work its just takes time as rats and mice will need to feed on the bait several times to build up a lethal dose of the active ingredient.

If you decide to use fenn or any other trap make an artifical tunnel around the inside perimeter of the shed to place the trap in, rats like to explore.

Rats have whats called Neophobia which makes them wary of anything new so it could take a while to get rid of them with traps.

Once they've gone then you will obviously need to find their entry point and make it good because you can bet your life others will find your shed.

I, send my wife round she will scare them away she scares the s%t out of me lol ive put traps down for rats in my wood store as above be patient and let them feed on bait then set the trap it works every time

Buy 6 traps. Leave them in the shed for a few days, near the perimeter.

Then bait them with peanut butter, but do not set them.

Then set them all one night.

Other option is a dustbin (with optional water in the bottom) & a tipping platform, baited at the end. Use a small magnet to add a sudden (not progressive) tip.

I like this idea , i seen recently a YooTube vid on a scissor trap , it is pretty ruthless but needs to be done properly and ideally set in a way theres only 1 way to the bait . A few of these set up would work very well id think . Atb

I used to work on a 24,000 bird poulty farm. As you can imagine we had a few rats. Bait is useless unless all other food is removed, bait only ever went after feed troughs were empty. fenn traps or nipper type work but leaving them unset but baited as already said is the way to go.

What hasn't been mentioned but if still available is Tracking dust, a powdered poison. Rats are not the filthy animals most people think, they spend alot of time grooming. Which is where the Tracking dust works, you sprinkle it on the runs the rats ingest it by cleaning themselves.

See if you can get DRAT poison from your supplier. Its an oil so that you can mix it with whatever they are currently feeding on rather than introduce a different food source that they might not find palatable. Its very good stuff, I used to make it for a living lol

Mark

• 2 months later...

We've just had a rat infestation on the farm normally the three cats keep them at bay but for some reason we've had a lot move in

So hers my tips by wooden based spring traps but get them before you have the problem.

The reason being they need weathering in so leave them out side to get wet and smelly trust me it makes a big difrance.

Next I've tried difrent bait over the years but now I'm using Alpen breakfast bars scatter around the trap don't just bait the trap!

When you have a dead one note that the scattered bait and the bait on the trap has gone this tells us there's more to kill.

The next trap happened by chance I had left oats in a plastic dust bin only to find 6 young rats had eaten thier way in through the lid

This meant they jumped in but couldn't clime out,so now I have a rat trap invented by rats!!

I hope this helps.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Don't get me on rats! They don't just like regular food. They have a taste for van wiring too.

I'm nervous of poison because of the dogs. One JRT we had would eat any rodent than would fit in her mouth! 

That said, we are going to have to do something about it soon. 

I made a bucket rat trap after seeing them on YouTube. Nothing  the little gits managed to eat the peanut butter though.