22 BR question on twist rate

NigelM

Looking at all the twist rate stability calculators if I want to use a 55 grain BK in a 22 BR I need to go tighter than 12 twist in order to achieve a 1.5 stability factor. My choice with Sassen is 1:11 or 1:9, no 1:10 available and I am keen to use one of their barrels.

I'm tempted to go 1:9 which will enable me to run heavier bullets if I want to play in a few 300 matches. Has anyone got experience of this subject and if so what advice would you give me?

I have a 1-12 twist and it shoots anything from 40 gr to 64 gr projectiles, and I would probably wager that it shoots the 55's and 64 gr projectiles better than the 40's and 50's.

By all means play safe and go for a faster twist but don't rule out the right barrel because it's a 1-12.

I used 63 grainers in a 12 Twist and they shot pretty good , this was in a slower 223 so should be fine in 22br . Nice caliber tho , but id go 8 twist if you wondered ;)

I used 63 grainers in a 12 Twist and they shot pretty good , this was in a slower 223 so should be fine in 22br . Nice caliber tho , but id go 8 twist if you wondered ;)

From what I have learned, a 12 twist will shoot 60+gn bullets if they are flat base.

If they have any sign of a boat tail then you will have no chance.

I'd always err on the side of caution and go for a 9 twist, or as soon else said a 1:8, and you'll get much more flexibility

You make no mention of wanting to shoot the heavy for caliber bullets Nigel, it seems 40-55gr is your main priority? if so then a 12 twist is more than good enough. Dont hang too long on the Berger stability factor, it has proven to be excessive on twist rate. A 12 twist will do everything you need perfectly and Sassen barrels are a good product, Ive had a lot of good results with them.

Unless you really have a need to shoot 40's more than you might want to stretch the rifles legs and use 77's I would consider an 8 twist, it will shoot 55s no problem and you wont over spin them, that way you have a rifle that will reach out a long way if needed and still give you the 55gr performance you want. If you go that route just make sure the person cutting the chamber can throat it to a compromise between the 55 & 77 gr bullets, if a standard SAAMI reamer is used the throat will be quite short and the 77s will be seated deeply into the case.

Go with an 8 twist Nigel. I,ve fitted dozens in this calibre, and they seem to shoot anything. I have an 8 twist on my own .22br and it shoots 40,s up to 77,s.

Mine is a std saami reamer and throat, and works with both ends of the weight scale.

Hi Nigel, my 22BR has a 1:12 twist and i only use 55grn Sierra Blitzkings, its a very accurate rifle, i regularly shoot 5 shot groups in the .200"s at the range and my son has shot groups in the .100"s but i use it for long range varminting furthest kill being a 515yd magpie, on 500yd paper it will print 1.25" 5 shot group.

Ian.

Archived