New! WT1 50-3 Thermal Rifle Scope Any one using one?

goldie

A gamekeeper pal of mine is using one and really rates it as the best thing ever for shooting foxes.

I've been using the equivalent of the 75-6 for almost 2 years now and agree completely.

The 75mm lens coupled to a 17 micron sensor gives far greater detection range than anything that Pulsar currently sell or have exhibited at the recent shot show.

Buy a 75-3 and you'll have the best thermal scope available for sensible money for a good while yet

Cheers

Bruce

How do the AX75 and 75-3 compare in use, Bruce? I know on paper/spec they aren't necessarily that comparable but wondered what you think in actual use?

Not a loaded question in anyway - I have a 75-3, I put a grand total of 1 round of 308 through a Blaser fitted with an AX75 last week so didn't really have the chance to mess about with it - I did like the PiP feature though.

Ta,

Rich

I haven't used an Apex 75, but the folk that have them seem to like them.

However, the Apex XD75 uses a 25 micron core which reduces it's detection range compared to the 17 micron core in the WT75-3

Also, the Apex uses an f1.4 objective lens compared to the f 1.0 lens in the WT

The minimum temperature change that can be detected by a thermal depends on the basic sensitivity of the core multiplied by the f number of the objective lens.

Since the core in the pulsar and the core in the WT both claim the same basic temperature sensitivity (around 50mK) the overall sensitivity of the WT is better than the Pulsar.

Cheers

Bruce

I just looked up the Apex 75 and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvwcRhp4oN4

The PiP does look useful.

While it is a clip compilation and so you don't see how long the shooter may have observed the things he does seem to sometimes be shooting at hot things assuming they are rabbits, any pretence to shot placement must be just that.

Fantastic pest control tool, but I would think you would get the same capability with conventional digital NV for a fraction of the price.

Unlike many people who will comment on this thread. i have no financial gain to be made here

Many people?

Fwiw, I have a WT 75-3. I also have a WT37. And an XQ50. And a Drone. And I'll probably buy a Trail if they seem half decent in use - anyone around my way is more than welcome to look through any of them...

Whatever, please lets not regurgitate the pages upon pages of 'discussion' I (and probably others here) have already had to endure on NVUK and the SD. Anyone in the market for a thermal, do your research, TRY OUT anything you're interested in and buy accordingly based on your findings...

Hornady

Grow up please, I've no time for this.

If you cannot understand the reasoning behind hiding your posts then please go back to the other forums.

Thank you

T

Hornady,

It is nothing to do with any advertising etc. to say so plus the petty 'North Korea' comment is both naive and unhelpful.

You join UKV and of the 8 posts you have made more than half are targeting a product/person which does not 'feel right' - I'm not a great believer in coincidences! Your additional explanation above confirms this - you have a personnal 'gripe' with Clive Ward and/or one of his products and have joined a forum to specifically target someone which is unacceptable.

Please take a deep breath and think on this before engaging in more responses, UKV is open to all comments and views but they need to be (in the most part) objective, not fuelled by some personnel reason.

Thank you

Terry

As title any information appreciated.

Thanks

Hi goldie,

Getting back to the actual matter at hand and your question. ;)

The WT1 50-3 is an excellent choice for Rimfire, HMR or sensible ranged foxing out to 200 yards as a general rule of thumb. It's an extremely compact scope and what I use myself on my rimfires. I use the bigger WT1 75-3 on my foxing rifles.

Here's a bit of bunny action through the 50mm scope. The actual view through the eyepiece is considerably better and all of the background detail is visible, which isn't captured on the video out unfortunately:

https://youtu.be/JtufusL6Rd0

And here mounted on my .22 Rimfire:

Anschutz%20XIV%20thermal_zpslkhifiv8.jpg

In terms of where it fits in the market, detection range and system resolution will be the same as any other 50mm lensed scope with a 17 micron core, regardless of the core's resolution.

Image quality in the WT1 is superior because we use an F1 lens for maximum sensitivity and a shutterless core so there is no degradation of the image or need for calibration, freezing the image. This means you can set the gain or contrast to get very good thermal variation in the targets as you can see from the video, rather than shooting at silhouettes. Another factor is magnification. We get a bit more out of ours, because we use a larger higher resolution 800x600 OLED display.

The WT1 doesn't have the bells and whistles in the software of new Pulsar models coming onto the market, but it all just works. Once it's set to your liking you just turn it on and shoot things. The only button you might want to press while shooting is the one nearest on the top, which is teh digital zoom. You can also manage multiple rifles and zeroes very easily with the WT1.

If it puts it into perspective from someone who has actually been there and got the T-Shirt. I used to use a GSCI rifle scope that was nigh on £15,000 with a 75mm lens, 17 micron core and 800x600 display. I'm more than happy to be using the WT1 scopes now, both 50mm and 75mm versions.

It has black hot, white hot and numerous colour palettes, but I tend to use white hot the majority of the time due to the faster target acquisition or amber hot with the brightness set quite low for extended viewing over bait, etc.

Any questions or if you want to have a look at one, just give me a shout. Then you can make an informed decision.

Cheers

Clive

I must say I have seen some bias here when products are discussed , and advertisers seem to at the very least to get protected from negative comments about their products and service ,ie deletion of negative posts, not the way to run a forum IMHO , personal attacks should not be tolerated I agree but if a product does not live up to expectations/claims or the service of a retailer is questionable then I believe then it should be debated and not moderated .

I must say I have seen some bias here when products are discussed , and advertisers seem to at the very least to get protected from negative comments about their products and service ,ie deletion of negative posts, not the way to run a forum IMHO , personal attacks should not be tolerated I agree but if a product does not live up to expectations/claims or the service of a retailer is questionable then I believe then it should be debated and not moderated .

Unfortunately that's not what has happened in this case. UKV is pretty much the gold standard of sense and fairness and if any claims about any product being a bit sub-par were true then they wouldn't be moderated.

Without going into boring technical detail, the claims that somehow the WT1 wasn't very good can quite easily be questioned. We use the best, fastest lens in the product, we also use the class leading shutterless thermal core, that is then graded for highest quality and finally we use the very highest spec, highest resolution OLED display component. So every component used in the WT1 is of a higher specification than the unit it was being compared to, but somehow, bending the laws of Physics, it wasn't anywhere near as good? C'mon. Just trolling. Don't get sucked in.

We don't have to sell any particular manufacturers product. It really doesn't make any commercial difference to us what we sell. If there was a better thermal scope than the WT1 then we'd sell that instead. There isn't so we don't. More importantly, if there was a better scope I'd be using it myself, but I use a WT1.

Cheers

Clive

Unfortunately that's not what has happened in this case. UKV is pretty much the gold standard of sense and fairness and if any claims about any product being a bit sub-par were true then they wouldn't be moderated.

Without going into boring technical detail, the claims that somehow the WT1 wasn't very good can quite easily be questioned. We use the best, fastest lens in the product, we also use the class leading shutterless thermal core, that is then graded for highest quality and finally we use the very highest spec, highest resolution OLED display component. So every component used in the WT1 is of a higher specification than the unit it was being compared to, but somehow, bending the laws of Physics, it wasn't anywhere near as good? C'mon. Just trolling. Don't get sucked in.

We don't have to sell any particular manufacturers product. It really doesn't make any commercial difference to us what we sell. If there was a better thermal scope than the WT1 then we'd sell that instead. There isn't so we don't. More importantly, if there was a better scope I'd be using it myself, but I use a WT1.

Cheers

Clive

I would post you some links to prove my point but the posts have been deleted :rolleyes:

If the negative posts about an advertisers product are justified and backed up by good evidence, then I don't think they would or should be deleted.

In this case, a forum member has an ongoing vendetta about one forum advertiser (that forum member has already been banned from the Night Vision Forum for carrying on his vendetta against the same forum advertiser)

Cheers

Bruce

I think the very fact that Clive as said "Any questions or if you want to have a look at one, just give me a shout. Then you can make an informed decision." This would say to me that he is indeed confident of his product.

By the way, i don't know Clive myself or have i bought anything from him, but if i were to purchase something expensive then i would want to look through it first and make my on mind up. And going by what he has stated he wouldn't mind you doing that, or am i reading it wrong?

I think the very fact that Clive as said "Any questions or if you want to have a look at one, just give me a shout. Then you can make an informed decision." This would say to me that he is indeed confident of his product.

By the way, i don't know Clive myself or have i bought anything from him, but if i were to purchase something expensive then i would want to look through it first and make my on mind up. And going by what he has stated he wouldn't mind you doing that, or am i reading it wrong?

Hi Kev,

Thanks for that. Yes we do encourage customers to come down and have a proper look if possible.

Then we can go through, mounting, bore sighting, zeroing and how to get the best out of the unit both in terms of adjustments and use but also tactics in the field. ;)

It really does open the possibilities up for shots that just wouldn't be possible with other methods, even in daylight. :P

Cheers

Clive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VAHdSYakGM&t=39s saw this at the show even better image through the eyepiece

Thermal always looks brilliant indoors. Get it out in the rain and fog for a proper comparison test.

It does have some nice features though if you need them, but the resolution in the thermal core is irrelevant in a thermal rifle scope because all it does is widen the field of view, lowering magnification. It doesn't let the scope resolve any more detail in the target.

The WT1 50-3 has exactly the same system resolution as this new product because they both use 17 micron cores and 50mm lenses, but the WT1 uses faster lenses for better thermal sensitivity, a shutterless core so the image handles difficult conditions better, doesn't degrade and freeze and a higher resolution OLED eyepiece and is a lot cheaper. :P I won't be changing mine anytime soon.

Cheers

Clive

This is a fox we called in and shot with the .17 HMR and WT1 50-3 combo last year in heavy ground mist. There is a little softening of the target which is understandable because when we turned on the Landrovers headlights, they couldn't penetrate the mist 10 yards!

Cheers

Clive

Archived