Fastest short action fox snotter

lapua

Could you really tell the difference which was the 'fastest' out of your listed?...without a chrony and, as a "fox snotter?

Could you really tell the difference which was the 'fastest' out of your listed?...without a chrony and, as a "fox snotter?

I knew there were faster and i have a chrony. The .22x47 i had was only suited to very light bullets, was a shifty drifty little thing!

Because i can and its one that i havent had!

Had 22-250, .243, 22x47l, 6x47l.

Midlife crisis kicking in

What better reason can you have? Treat yourself to a right barrel burning laser. Let us know how fast you get?

Lapua, Some of the rather rather nice options suggested /likely to be are not short action compatible-and you are starting from such a stock;probaly not possible to modify either?

They are also arguably not absolutey top whack-though differences at this level are pretty thin,and individual rifles might be a factor.

Sometimes exotica/challenges appeal-but these six are again not SA,but all saami loads-so give a good idea of safe performance ,no doubt enhanceable:

1943 220 Weatherby Rocket 55@ 3860fps

1998 224 Texas Trophy Hunter (6mm Rem case) 55@ 3840fps

1978 22 CHeetah (308 Rem BR case,with small primer!) 55@ 4090

1964 22 Clark (257 necked,80@3500;55 should make 3800)

1964 5.56x57 RWS 55@3800

1955 243win 55@3910 ....22 MIddlested is similar,known and available without much fuss.

1937 5.6x61 Vom Hofe Super Express(its really 228cal) 70@3708 and I'm not giving a 55 MV.....!!

If it must be S/A,it will be very hard indeed to equal/better these (and the similar 22Swift etc)even with AckImp etc-the S/A compatible cases just lack capacity,but are nonetheless fine cartridgesThe 6x45 eg is the 223 necked up and gives 70@2900-fine small deer cartridge.The simple 243 w stands out as rather good,as a fox cartridge though,in the rem S/A -if 22,the 243 necked to 22MIddlestead sets a high bar.(is an Ack Imp really needed?)

The 224 heavier bullets "need" the greater capacity-hence the cases used in most of the above wildcats.

There is almost no detectable/significant 'minute of fox' advantage between most of the contenders;

Seriously flat at 300y,a Lazzeron 6mm 85g is 4.6/6.3 Then Swift 50g is 4.8/9.3; 22 MIddlestead very similar,probably has a slight potential edge;223 50g is 6.8/11.4 the advantage is mainly in windage,and even less at shorter range,of course.

The (very few) likes of the 223 Win Super Short Magnum ( 55@3850) are actually about a half inch shorter than 'standard' S/A,though 'fat',and such actions are available-whether a stock /compatible mod is possible etc...one for the gunsmith...along with,maybe a short PPC?-accuracy rather than fps though.

...hope something comes along...hard to see the Middlestead beaten significantly .... even if .not neccessarily sensible...just suitable and tasty !! :-)

gbal

Archived