M&P 15-22 accurracy

Miseryguts

Good show! I have found some rifles take exception to some moderators, which I put down to bad tuning, rightly or wrongly.

Thinking about tuners,I was wondering if simply putting shaft collars on the barrel and moving them to tune it would achieve the effect for little cost, what do you think 1066?

Thinking about tuners,I was wondering if simply putting shaft collars on the barrel and moving them to tune it would achieve the effect for little cost, what do you think 1066?

Give it a try - it'll cost nothing and gives you an excuse to spend an hour down the field on a calm sunny morning.

With centefire, to achieve best accuracy, we tune the loads to suit the rifle/barrel. We have infinite combinations we can try, powder type and charge, bullet type and weight, seating depth and neck tension, primer etc. we even have plenty of choice when it comes to twist rate.

With .22lr ammunition, we get what we’re given, and in general, it’s good enough to do the job. You can try various brands and even different lot numbers of the same type to find the one that performs best, a choice of maybe half a dozen locally available types but, if you are searching for better, the only thing you can do is try and tune the rifle to the ammunition.

I’m sure tuners make a difference – Almost all .22lr competition shooters in the USA use some sort of tuner, here we rarely see them (yet). It just seems to me that there’s no hard and fast information that will yield repeatable results.

Although there are several different ideas about tuners, they mostly fall into two camps. Either to try and damp out the vibrations and deaden the barrel with some sort of rubber bung or mid barrel clamp, as:

DAMPERS

Or, to take advantage of the vibrations and tame/tune them to compensate for the varying velocity that even good quality .22lr ammunition delivers. A simple tuner consists of an adjustable mass fixed at the muzzle and is tweaked to give the best group with the current ammunition/range.

TUNERS

Ideally, to play this game, you need a 100 yard tunnel range and plenty of time and ammunition to play about.

Of course, we don’t need to screw the last drop of accuracy out of the humble .22lr, it won’t gather any more rabbits, it’s just fun trying.

Re. Dampers - I've read where folks sprinkle powder long the top of a barrel then 'ring' the barrel and the powder gorups into node points - this is where you put the damper or O rings

Re. Tuners - found the 'Purdey method' to be a good starting point for setting up a tuner, but as you say it is a time/ammo thing and as I've just messed with the rifles need to do it all again.

Still that's the fun of it all?

T

Archived