M&P 15-22 accurracy

Miseryguts

Hi, apologies if this has been discussed before, but a topic search did not bring anything up......

Just had a new M&P 15-22, and am disappointed with the accuracy. Just want to know if I am expecting too much from it.

At 50m I am seeing 2 inch variation in shots, that is 4+ MOA, this from bipod on a bench with a middle of the road 8-32x50scope and an after market 3lb trigger. I find this very disappointing as I wanted this rifle for rabbits at 50 to 75m as well as fun stuff on gongs. Tried Semiauto, subsonic. Standard velocity and Hi velocity ammo. It is fitted with a suppressor.

Any comments welcome!!

It's a plinky plonky plastic .22 with a loose sporting chamber and some parts made from Monkey Metal

They're good for what they are

I've heard that a company called Bradley Arms makes rather spiffy ones

The suppressor won't help but semi auto blowback rimfires can never be track drivers due to the variable nature of their action.

Mine using Federal American Eagle High velocity shoots about an inch group at 25m, which is as far as I shoot it in practical comps.

Well, my BAR .22 will put all rounds through one hole rested at 25 yards - so the CAN be accurate.......

I would think 1" at 50yd would be a reasonable expectation, if it didn't do that I'd be disappointed. Have you ejected a live round and if so does it take a chunk out of the bullets on the way in?

Check the usual suspects, is everything tight? have you tried with a different scope? different shooter? without the mod? off bags instead of the bipod? What does the crown look like?

"1in9" on here has one, I recall he said he wasn't impressed with the accuracy, but conceded that he hadn't tested it with a scope which would allow for a really meaningful test, as he mostly used it for mini rifle.

I don't have one, but I have a "Colt" (Umarex) equivalent which is largely monkey metal, even the barrel is a thin steel liner with an alloy tube around it, it shoots "one hole at 20yd", i.e. about 2MoA, 1" at 50yd, so just being made of cheap metal doesn't make reasonable accuracy impossible.

The Dogge said:

would think 1" at 50yd would be a reasonable expectation, if it didn't do that I'd be disappointed. Have you ejected a live round and if so does it take a chunk out of the bullets on the way in?

Check the usual suspects, is everything tight? have you tried with a different scope? different shooter? without the mod? off bags instead of the bipod? What does the crown look like?

Hi, same off bags, Scope is a Hawke Sidewinder 8-32x56 with parallax adjustment, and let even me shoot 1MOA groups at 75 yards on a 17HMR. Crown has not been dished, haven't tried without mod, nor ejected a live round. Will try both in next couple of days

Yes, I would be happy with 1 inch at 50 yards(2MOA) as at 75 -100 that would mean I can be fairly sure of hitting Peter Rabbit

Sorry chaps, :) absolutely nothing to do with M&P 15/22's but here's a one hole, 25 yard, 5 shot group I shot on Saturday at out local pay-as-you-go range with my rabbit rifle.

A live round won't fall into the hole and the rim covers all the shots.

th_20170130_101547_zpsboeg2bei.jpg

That, I have no problem believing. My own match grade Feinwerkbau bolt action is capable of sub calibre groups at 50m (even if its owner isn't).

It's semis and more specifically blowback rimfires that I believe can never be sub calibre accurate (though I'm always happy to be proved wrong with evidence).

I believe this, due to the variable nature of an action that is at least beginning to open enough to produce a non consistent drop in pressure before the bullet has left the barrel.

I'm aware that good engineering and quality parts can minimise the problems but I still believe the are too many variables at play for blowback rimfires to be consistently highly accurate.

This is an interesting article and test on making semi autos accurate. Not bad results with a lot of work but certainly not through the same hole, unless it's a big hole...

http://gundigest.com/how-to/research_ruger10-22

No, although I do have an old Voere that I've had for 40 years that shoots very well for a cheap clunker.

This was shot with my Sako Finnnfire, Lilja barrel and homemade tuner.

th_20160824_201208_zpswrucjjqm.jpg

Wow, that's an amazing group, did you find the tuner made a lot of difference?

Re semi auto accuracy here are some targets from a Bradley 22rf off bipod but stock in shoulder not rested/bag etc.

@57 yards

22rf57ydtarget_zps0a9b7b67.jpg

@108 yards

22rf108ydtarget_zps88215ab0.jpg

Good enough if you ask me?

T

It's a plinky plonky plastic .22 with a loose sporting chamber and some parts made from Monkey Metal

Don't be shy - say what you think!

Miseryguts - I'd get someone else to shoot it, just to see if you need to improve your technique

Yes, tuner definitely makes a difference, however this is "work in progress" and I feel there's more come if I can find the time tinker.

:D how much smaller do you think the groups could get!? If I shot a couple of groups like that I'd stop tinkering immediately!

:D how much smaller do you think the groups could get!? If I shot a couple of groups like that I'd stop tinkering immediately!

I would too if they were all like that.... What I'm really interested in is longer range accuracy with the .22lr

If I shoot a .5 moa at 100 with my 6br I'm mildly disappointed, If I shoot a .5moa with my .22 I'm over the moon. I think as we search for ever more accuracy tuners will be seem more and more, even on sporting rifles.

Hi, tried cycling some rounds through the action today, As a round is loaded, the rim leaves a 1mm wide track across the lands of the next round. I figure not much can be done about that?

MrCetirizine

Thanks for the link, a very interesting article, but unfortunately I have spent enough on this pile of ****!!

Lots of other stuff to try at the range, thanks for all the comments and opinions

Re semi auto accuracy here are some targets from a Bradley 22rf off bipod but stock in shoulder not rested/bag etc.

Good enough if you ask me?

T

I'd seriously doubt you'd get better out of a semi, barring the occasional fluke group.

It does show that performance can be improved with good build and parts but I still maintain that a blowback semi will never the kind of accurate you can get from the most pedestrian of bolt actions.

For a semi auto to perform as well as a bolt action, I think you need consistent ammo which is tricky in rimfire due to the primer, a locked bolt and a well regulated gas system.

I've seen semi autos be sub calibre accurate but never a blowback.

Hi, tried cycling some rounds through the action today, As a round is loaded, the rim leaves a 1mm wide track across the lands of the next round. I figure not much can be done about that?

Not really but cycling by hand increases what you've noticed. When firing, the action moves so fast that there is much less dragging.

Fire one round then drop the magazine and inspect the top round, it will barely be marked.

Plus it's typically just marking the wax/grease which will be melted anyway.

Not really but cycling by hand increases what you've noticed. When firing, the action moves so fast that there is much less dragging.

Fire one round then drop the magazine and inspect the top round, it will barely be marked.

Plus it's typically just marking the wax/grease which will be melted anyway.

Right on! just checked some FTF,s and they are hardly thru the gunk on the round

Hi, thanks for all the advice on this topic. Had a day on the range today trying different ammunition, following advice took suppressor off, took bipod off, supported gun on bag under action by magazine.

Wind 5 - 10mph at 10o'clock

Best 10 shot group at 50m was 1 inch by 1/2 inch with a well known brand of semi auto ammo.

Happy with that, that's 2MOA

Thanks again

Not as miserable a miseryguts as before!

Archived