Fast twist .223 build/buy?

Good day all. I'm wanting a fast twist .223,on a budget,but have decided that it must have a custom barrel of at least 1:8 twist as I'd like to shoot the 75/77gr high BC bullets. I have a Sako 75 in .222 that I had considered rebarrelling,but the longer bullets would mean I could only single feed(correct me if I'm wrong),not a deal breaker,but not ideal,neither is pulling off a perfectly good 24" stainless fluted barrel.

On the other hand,I've seen several semi custom rifles,all with very nice barrels,triggers and stocks,but, they are all on Remington actions.

My question is,if a Remmy action is properly blueprinted by a very competent smith,what are the drawbacks of it and should it be as accurate as say a rebarreled Sako action,or any other good quality action. I know they will always be a Remmy and less desirable for that,but is that just prejudice or are there practical reasons for this?

All advice on this subject would be most welcome. Thanks

Unless you are intending to shoot competitive benchrest, you won't notice any difference between a 'blueprinted' Remmy and a standard one. Save your money.

Very few 'smiths will do a full blueprint job anyway - the main problem being the 'bolt to action' fit - sloppy on a Remmy. You can of course buy a 'fit' bolt from the likes of PT&G in the States but that just adds to the cost.

For the cost of a full blueprint job plus donor action, you could afford a new custom action from say Resolution Precision - an excellent UK made action.

Woodlander,

the vast majority of custom actions are based on the remington action, none that I know of on a Sako, draw your own conclusions.

A properly squared remmy action with a barrel properly chambered and fitted will shoot along with the best of them. I have at the minute several custom and standard remington actioned rifles along with a Tikka 695 and a Howa mini action.

The difference is indistinguishable between the best 3 rifles I have. A stock actioned (ie as it came from the remington factory) Bergarra barreled .270win, a full custom Baldie special in 6.5x47 and a Tikka 695 in 275 Rigby built by Ronin with a Lothar Walther barrel. All three will shoot a 3 shot group way under .5moa at 300m on a good day when the sun is shinning and I'm in form.

The up side of a remmy actioned rifle is that good triggers, mounts and stocks are easily obtainable and reasonably priced, this is the biggest draw back of Sako and Tikka 695/595 rifles as the aftermarket goodies are thin on the ground and expensive.

A rifle using a Remington action (or any other factoy made) is at best a semi-custom. With a premium barrel,these can shoot very well indeed;'truing' the action helps-probably-but as VInce says,the cost is rising toward a fully custom action-which will retain more value.

It's true that many custom actions are "Rem 700 clones"-but they are just much better made,with bettter tolerances etc-but they can access the relatively large retro fit market for Rem 700 upgrades-mainly stocks,probably.It's unlikely a custom action will need an aftermarket trigger-as it already has a good one fitted.

The choice for Sako aftermarket is very restricted-though the actions are quite sought after as donors-and perhaps these rifles are less in need of performance upgrading anyhow. Tikka likewise. Half minute from the box would not be unusual.

gbal

Buy a Tikka T3 with an 8 twist barrel, then buy a T3 custom magazine for it to take the long VLD bullets.

I have had many T3 rifles and all have generated sub 0.5" groups with careful load development, don't go down the custom avenue thinking that you will be guaranteed better groups, its a fallacy. Custom rifles will give you better quality components in most cases however, better accuracy is never guaranteed.

Buy a Tikka T3 with an 8 twist barrel, then buy a T3 custom magazine for it to take the long VLD bullets.

I have had many T3 rifles and all have generated sub 0.5" groups with careful load development, don't go down the custom avenue thinking that you will be guaranteed better groups, its a fallacy. Custom rifles will give you better quality components in most cases however, better accuracy is never guaranteed.

+ 1

You mention "a budget" (how much?).....I'd trade in your .222 and use that cash towards a new .223 of your choosing. Tikka seems to be your option with the 1/8 - this will work out much cheaper than the custom barrel route that will not necessarily 'guarantee' you the accuracy over a factory barrel. Personally I think the 'factories' have upped their game over the years, producing excellent accuracy with their barrels (at least Sako/Tikka have)... Mostly it's down to the user and components to make that barrel deliver its true potential

However, some people will bump on about the Tikka 'stock' and how dreadful it is? Probably a bit like Marmite in that you either love it or hate it...Personally, I find nothing wrong whatsoever with them and certainly wouldn't change the 'X' stock for any other aftermarket stock. I guess I'm just used to it. The main point of it for me is that the Tikka stock 'fits' me correctly, and if it fits me correctly I'm augmenting accuracy and ahead of the game against those stocks that don't,

ATB

Hello,my mate in scotland was after a semi custom rifle so he went to prs in scotland.He was told ,just buy a tikka t3 and put it in a better stock. He had it put into a mcmillan thumbhole stock ,it cost a lot of money for the stock and bedding but it shoots like a dream,Prefers it to 595 with a shillen barrel from same gunsmith! Just buy a 1 in 8 tikka t3.

Seem to be a lot of votes for the factory T3. You guys would put the poor rifle smiths out of a job!

I've had a couple of 595s and really liked them,these were also v.accurate. Thanks,gives me another option.

T3's are just consistently accurate, well made rifles. My first group from my first T3 shot 0.5moa out of the box. You can buy better made for more. You can buy worse for more, but for accuracy, a factory T3 shoots as well as many customs at sensible money. I guess one of the things to consider is over what distance you'll want to shoot, and what barrel length you'll need. The standard T3 in .223 is a standard 600mm.

Archived