6.5 SUAM / 7 SAUM??

raizor

Hi all and happy new to you all ,

Been thinking of getting something built , either in 6.5 SAUM or 7 SAUM .

Planning to use this for some longrange gong clanging / varmint and some deer stalking .

Those that have owned or are currently using them , can i please have some input/ advice , a photo or two would be great too!!

Thank you ,

Kind regards ,

raizor.

PS.............. sorry for the bo bo (no pun intended) on the spelling mistake with the 6.5 SAUM/ 7 SAUM on thread title , tried to edit but not able!! :blink:

Raizor,

had a 7mmSAUM was very pleased with it, accurate. 'Long range' is certainly applicable for this cartridge, Deer- no sweat, plenty of good 7mm bullets - going to be 'explosive' on bunnies and foxes though :o

Think the 6.5mm SAUM might be a bit of a barrel killer, but could be wrong?

T

Raizor,

had a 7mmSAUM was very pleased with it, accurate. 'Long range' is certainly applicable for this cartridge, Deer- no sweat, plenty of good 7mm bullets - going to be 'explosive' on bunnies and foxes though :o

Think the 6.5mm SAUM might be a bit of a barrel killer, but could be wrong?

T

Hi Terry ,

Good to hear from you and hope you are keeping well??

Really liking what i read from our American cousins across the water on there forums about the 6.5 SAUM , good accuracy and barrel life over the 2000+ mark (my 6.5-284 went off the boil at 1700 rounds) so could live with that!!

But 7 SAUM sounds great too - especially if we can get hold of the newer Hornady EDL-X bullets which should be good for hunting and longrange target..

Im having a play with a 264 Winmag at the moment which is a bit of a beastie!! :lol:;)

Thanks for your reply too!! ;):D

Raizor , I don't use the SAUM case however i use both 7 wsm & 6.5 wsm ( 270 wsm necked up & down to be precise ) and whilst i like both nothing really beats a 7mm running equal psi .

I would have to run the 6.5 wsm hard and back off the 7mm to get similar ballistics . Can't say that the 6.5 is easier to shoot either , nothing in it .

OSOK

I use a .284 for long range vermin all the way through to deer.

Definitely explosive on vermin, magpies and the like. you couldnt say its not humane!!

But less dramatic on foxes Dont get me wrong, it kills them on the spot but lacks the splat factor of the .243 shooting a 70gr!

Atb,

Joe

Raizor , I don't use the SAUM case however i use both 7 wsm & 6.5 wsm ( 270 wsm necked up & down to be precise ) and whilst i like both nothing really beats a 7mm running equal psi .

I would have to run the 6.5 wsm hard and back off the 7mm to get similar ballistics . Can't say that the 6.5 is easier to shoot either , nothing in it .

OSOK

Thanks for reply,

Much appreciated!!!!

All the best,

raizor

OSOK

Thanks for reply,

Much appreciated!!!!

All the best,

raizor

I use a .284 for long range vermin all the way through to deer.

Definitely explosive on vermin, magpies and the like. you couldnt say its not humane!!

But less dramatic on foxes Dont get me wrong, it kills them on the spot but lacks the splat factor of the .243 shooting a 70gr!

Atb,

Joe

Thanks for the reply ,

Most appreciated too!!!

I did run a 280 ackley and 162 A-maxs for a while and it was sure good too!!! ;)

Please keep your thoughts coming - thankyou ;)

raizor

Hi all and happy new to you all ,

Been thinking of getting something built , either in 6.5 SAUM or 7 SAUM .

Planning to use this for some longrange gong clanging / varmint and some deer stalking .

Those that have owned or are currently using them , can i please have some input/ advice , a photo or two would be great too!!

Thank you ,

Kind regards ,

raizor.

PS.............. sorry for the bo bo (no pun intended) on the spelling mistake with the 6.5 SAUM/ 7 SAUM on thread title , tried to edit but not able!! :blink:

I have a 7 SAUM and use it in the same way you're intending, though mostly deer

Great caliber. The 7mm is a lot less hassle to load than the 6.5 but I do fancy a 6.5 next.

Mines in a short action and I'm shooting 168grn Burgers

IMG_20160206_080920652_zpsu60xofzs.jpg

Furry bean and trucraft thank you for your replies, most appreciated!!! ;)

trucraft that a lovely looking bit of kit you have there and spot on with its intended use ( lovely view too-looks like a young plantation to look after in the distance).

Thank you for sharing,

raizor.

I've built the gap 4s [6.5 SAUM] and its supposed to return good barrel life, as it doesn't have to be stoked silly to achieve results. Both customers were highly delighted with it. It you want a hot 6.5 its a good choice. Better built on a long action, than a short, although it will work on a short, it just limits your mag length

I'm just about to build a couple of 7 saums on McMillan actions .Theoretically it should have a better barrel life [not that it bothers me] and both will be on long actions, to make the most of long bullets.

Check out accurate shooter. George Gardener of GA Precison and hornady have launched and new 6.5 magnum based on the 6.5 SAUM wildcat George uses.

6.5 PRC

Check out accurate shooter. George Gardener of GA Precison and hornady have launched and new 6.5 magnum based on the 6.5 SAUM wildcat George uses.

T.hanks for the reply and thats where i seen alot of very usefull info that got my attention for a new build!!

raizor

Thanks for the reply and thats where i seen alot of very usefull info that got my attention for a new build!!

raizor.

I've built the gap 4s [6.5 SAUM] and its supposed to return good barrel life, as it doesn't have to be stoked silly to achieve results. Both customers were highly delighted with it. It you want a hot 6.5 its a good choice. Better built on a long action, than a short, although it will work on a short, it just limits your mag length

I'm just about to build a couple of 7 saums on McMillan actions .Theoretically it should have a better barrel life [not that it bothers me] and both will be on long actions, to make the most of long bullets.

Thanks for the reply baldie ,

tempted now to sway towards the 7 SAUM!! so shall look forward to hear about your builds! ;):)

raizor.

Archived