the resale value of a custom gun

Hi all

apologies if this is the wrong place to post such a question but in the interest of curiosity

i currently own a GRS adjustable hunter in blue for a remi 700 short action which i have been using on my rifle for a while now and absolutely love! (it looks incredible too)

i was thinking of possibly chopping in my remi and going for a new tikka just for a change up, and to going for more of a stalker than a long range tack driver

the rifle i have has now had a fair bit of work done ie jewell trigger, the custom stock and one or two other bits. howevwr i am aware that the rifle is worth more in parts than it is as a whole unit...

so to that end, does anyone have a rough estimate of what sort of resale value the grs stocks fetch as i cant seem to find many on sale? further, how much a jewell would be worth? (im unsure of the exact model but it has a safety and is currently set around 1lb if that helps)

sorry for the wall of text and id appreciate any help that people have!

thanks

fudd

Well, s/h Jewels normally go for about £150. If I was looking for a Remmy donor action for a project, I'd be looking to pick up a shot out 22-250 on Guntrader for under £300.

The GRS is a nice stock and should fetch at least £250. A standard factory Remmy barrel a few years old will be worth very little - unless it has a low round count - in which case you might get £400 for the barrelled-action.

interesting!

the rem action could be put back to factory with the origional stock and trigger (with the exeption of the custom bolt handle) and is still far from shot out so may take that down to the local gun shop if might get more for that than the barrelled action

Why not rebarrel the remmy ? With a jewel and nice grs and 1-2 other pluses, seems crazy not too imo . Bolt face size could be the decision factor here . What caliber is it and what would u change too? Surly the new rifle would cost more than a custom rebarrel ? Taa

I know what you mean , but bigger gap surly better as theres absolutely no chance that the flex / pressure put on a stock with ' the thickness of a tenner ' -( not saying yours has this gap ! :) ) between the barrel and stock touching affecting harmonics etc. Bolt face does decide after all i suppose , i do however own a 223ai in AICS that you can almost tuck your little finger underneath lol , and being fluted , it cools very quickly . Atb...

annoyingly the 223 is getting more perfect just thinking about it! maybe the solution is to keep it and bite the bullet on a 243 tikka for stalking only

i can think of lots of times that the 223 has been perfect and a 243 would have been overkill, my mistake might be thinking one rifle 'could' do it all

gunner - i think my barrel is floating around 5 ten pound notes off the stock for record ;) i havent yet fell victim to an over heating barrel but i think it may be because its a fairly thick barrel

Archived