Ase utra North Star mod... any good?

I used an NS3s 30cal mod on a 308 and a 223 for ages, great mod. I'm sad to see its been discontinued, I wanted one for a 338!

Had one. Flogged it to someone. gbal ?? Good bit of kit.

Only issue was it was solid => heavy.

If other people are like me they have switched to the SL series which do nearly as good a job of sound reduction, weigh less and are more compact.

Products get dropped for 2 reasons a) not selling enough and b ) new improved version launched/around the corner

I run one on my 243, IMO very good and solid mod, mine is .25 Cal and noise reduction compared to other mods is very noticeable, it does weigh a bit but nothing too bad, I have just bought an SL5i for a 270, also really nice bit of kit.

Lapua, interesting comment. Have you tried one and if so was it sized correctly for the calibre? I use two 30 cal northstars on 308, 6.5x55 and .243 and find they work very well.

Yes of course ive used one, who would pass comment on something without actually using it? Apart from Blaser bashers maybe! . Found it very heavy, and very loud. I always thought weight had a sound deadening quality, but i was very disappointed in the north star. Not sure if it were calibre specific or not, but i was disappointed i know that. I've used lots of .30 cal mods on smaller calibres but never been so dissapointed. I use cal specific for each rifle now or close to if the supplier makes/imports them. (.223, .243, 6xc, 6.5x47, 300wm), glad youre happy with yours though.

You'd be surprised who comments without actually having first hand expereince

And I've used Blasers, found them to be accurate but still don't like them.

I ask because my Northstars are used on different calibres and still appear effective.

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry I've taken so long to get back to this- forgot all about it!

I asked as I know someone who runs one on his 243. It seems a decent mod, so couldn't see why it would have been discontinued. And personally I'd rather have a n/s than a sl model as I like the reflex style mods.

Anyways thanks

If you think a Northstar is loud you've never heard a loud mod.....

Many mods much worse out there, and a few quieter that'll be gas cut or rotten and needing binned while the NS3 soldiers on.

• 3 weeks later...

I used a .25 cal Northstar on a .222,found it very effective and really not that heavy. Sold it with the rifle and bought a .22 cal SL5 for the replacement rifle. Also good and a little lighter.

Wouldn't hesitate to get another Northstar,as the weight wasn't an issue to me.

Archived