My service rifle revamped.

The old girl's barrel had died, so it was time for a revamp along with the new scope.

I profiled up a Sassen blank, originally intending to put a foresight on it. However, upon a dry run, the foresight was visible in the scope, and that would have done my bulb in. :lol:

Ever seen the film "Lone survivor " I loved it, and have always really liked the beaten up, old camo jobs often seen in such films

That got the airbrushing juices flowing.

IMG_1994_zpstbmpyag8.jpg

The barrel was chambered in .223 Wylde and fitted with one of my brakes.

IMG_1996_zps5rgdiyic.jpg

I also installed one of the new trigger tech triggers.

Along with a Tangodown fore grip.

The paints base coat is McMillan Tan, over which went Magpul FDE , Federal brown, and then the parts which I thought should look worn, were done in Armour black, giving the impression the gun was battered.

IMG_1995_zpsx0rsodio.jpg

The new scope is a Schmidt and bender 1.1-8 CC and its sat in a Larue mount.

IMG_1997_zpsg8rxxjev.jpg

IMG_1998_zps8hvsixgx.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to paint the scope. Its brand new and untested, and obviously under warranty. I think a bit of coyote tan sniper tape and then some airbrush work on top will blend it in somewhat. When the warranty has run out its going in the paint booth... :lol:

IMG_1999_zpsmweanlee.jpg

Adam,if you need to know -it's something like this: the 5.56x45NATO cartridge is very widely used in the military,and the 223Rem is a virtually identical dimension cartridge,designed for civilian rifles.

There are a few differences though in the cartridge loadings-the 5.56 is typically loaded to a higher pressure.While it is Ok to fire 223Rem in 5.56 chambers,some had misgivings about vice versa-ie the higher pressure 5.56 fired in 223Rem chambers.

The actual chambers do differ-mainly because of the pressure issue;this also can affect 223Rem accuracy in a 5.56 chamber.The chambers differ in throat angle and length....roughly put.

Soooo.... could the best of both chambers be designed,to allow the safe interchange-dealing with pressure ,and accuracy issues - by slight chamber differences ? ....Yes...Bill Wylde of Illinois did just that with his "223 Wylde Chamber"giving excellent interchageability,taking care of pressure issues,and retaining 223rem accuracy, over the 'standard' military 5.56 and commercial 223Rem chambers.

ie 223 Wylde is not a cartridge,it is a chamber adapted about optimally for usinng either 223rem or 5.56 NATO ammunition. Seems a good option,at least-though it has not been universally adopted.....neither commercial 223Rem nor military have any strong motivation to optimally cater for the others ammo,I suppose.

It happens....

...but if there is an issue here,the Wylde chamber is the answer :-)

gbal

I chamber in Wylde because I know for certain it will handle any 5.56 ammo put through it safely. People use milsurp a lot in AR,s.

The leade in the wylde chamber also suits the 77 grain SMK very well.

Archived