New to Forum - Sightron Scope Advice Please

gruntus

Hello All,

Newbie on this forum so please don't flame me for what is probably an often asked set of question.

I've recently acquired a Sabatti STR in .308 Win and currently working on load development to try to get the best out of it (her). :)

I went against the common advice and put cheap glass on top of it just to get started but I would like to choose wisely on getting a good scope that will fit all my needs.

From a shooting perspective, I attend my local club and mainly shoot targets out to 200 yards but do go out to 500 Yards. I also shoot further out on her majesties ranges past 1000 yards (more advanced plinking) and as I gain confidence and knowledge in my rifle would also like to try long range shooting in the near future.

I have heard a lot of good things about Sightron and they appear to be a good optic for the money.

If I had a £1,000 budget what would your recommendations be for model, magnification, and reticule choices that would be a good fit for my shooting needs?

I understand that FFP scopes have advantages for range finding, however, would you recommend FFP or SFP?

Also is it worth considering a second hand scope?

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

All the best

G :)

Just to throw a curve ball in.

I would seriously look at the new Bushnell 3-21x50 DMR. If 21 X magnification is enough

I was really impressed with this scope when we compared it too two Sightron scopes. 6x24 & 8x32

Optically the Bushnell was noticeably better - having a wider FOV - brighter with truer colour retention... resolution was just as good ..with ret in first focal Plane.

The DMR turrets made the Sightron feel flimsy - (Sightron S3 turrets have always felt tinny to me anyway and the copper markings are NASTY)

In short , the Bushnell DMR , is a better scope in my opinion and it is where I would spend my money.

Some info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EAo4Pij80

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/09/19/tactical-scopes-field-test-results-summary/

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/07/20/tactical-scopes-ergonomics-and-experience-behind-the-scope-part-2/

http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/bushnell-elite-tactical-dmr-3-5-21x50-riflescope/

ATB

S

I've got a Sightron s111 6-24x50 lrmoa on my .338. It's got 100 moa adjustment really good glass. I've shot out to 1600 + yards with it. I was going to change it for a NSX the same as I have on a few of my other rifles but I don't think it's worth spending any more as the Sightron has been so good.

Highly recomend one

Sightron 8-32 LRMOA ret does it for me.............I have two, plus a 6-24.

You can spend a kings ransom on a scope, and if you've got it, then good luck to you.

You may be able to see a grasshopper chewing at 600yds, but it won't improve the accuracy of your rifle, or your ability to hold it steady.

RePete

Sightron 8 - 32 with LRMOA ret. Second focal plane ret. Will leave enough change out of £1000 to buy some good rings.

I took this advice for my Ruger PR (6.5CM), great scope and in my opinion great value for money for the quality.

Sightron 8 - 32 with LRMOA ret. Second focal plane ret. Will leave enough change out of £1000 to buy some good rings.

This is the best advice you'll get - do not let the scope down with crap rings. Make sure you get some Tier 1 or something of similar quality, and if you dont have one already a tapered rail to keep the scope in the optical centre at 500-1000 yards.

Thanks a lot guys very helpfull! :)

I will need to arrange a trip south across the border to have a look through one (I can't bear to buy anything blind but it seems to be often the case with shooting kit). I also don't know if I can wait long enough to get a look at the Northern Shooting Show............ :blush:

I presume Aim will have a few in stock, do you know if there are any stockists in the North of England? (Newcastle or Carlisle?) I've asked a few shops here in Scotland but they don't keep anything from Sightron in stock.

Will keep an eye out to see if anyone on the forum has one that lives in the Central belt in Scotland.

Thanks again

Grant

PS I meant to add I have some Tier One rings already keeping my current scope in place.

Can't argue with the value for money comments but check how you feel about the 'eye box' view through the scope first.

I found eye positioning just too finicky on one I had......my son finds his suits him just fine though!

Can't argue with the value for money comments but check how you feel about the 'eye box' view through the scope first.

I found eye positioning just too finicky on one I had......my son finds his suits him just fine though!

I got this problem with the 10-50 Sightron but not with the 8-32.

Remember the 'eye box' issue is simply a functionew of the objective lens size and magnification. Any 2 scopes with the same mag and objective size will suffer the same... bench why your 32x is better than the 50x... and the same issue is there on Nightforce or March.

Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR without hesitation would be my recommendation. Great glass, great turrets. I personally prefer them over the Siii Sightrons, but both seem to be popular amongst LR shooters who aren't spending on S&B scopes or similar.

Hmmmm, that's two recommendations for the Bushnell DMR elite that I shouldn't ignore and should investigate.

In terms of quality of glass and limited magnification (relatively speaking) to the Sightron are there significant differences between the two or is it a case that they are both good and a discerning shooter (I'm not sure if I qualify based on my experience) would notice the differences?

Thanks for everyone's input and information so far.

G

There's little difference between them but the DMR I think has better FOV, seems less fussy on the eye-box when lining a shot up, and I, for one, much prefer its turrets. They feel rock solid and dependable. The glass is bright and resolution very good indeed. The real bargains are the pre-facelift models without IR and Zerostop. You can pick one of those up for £800 now (RRP was £1100) as opposed to the DMR II and HDMR II which are a lot more expensive but use the same glass. I've tried both theSightron and the DMR but it was the latter that felt better made, just a bit more solid. The glass quality on the Siii is good but I felt the DMR actually bettered it. Richard Utting did a review on one a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EAo4Pij80

Everyone has differing wants and needs, and differing eyesight though so if possible, always best to get to handle one before buying.

Have you made a decision or purchase yet?

My 2pence for what it's worth....

I have both the Sightron Siii in 6-24 in FFP as well as the Bushnell DMR. I would have to agree that the DMR has better glass and a less fussy eye box. That said the sightron also has very good glass as well, but felt it suffered in fading light compared to the Bushnell. However the bushnell has a 34mm tube so is bound to be the case. Both are very repeatable and have no issues tracking.

I'm a big fan of FFP even at know distances target shooting and favour those scopes now. The bushnell only comes in Mils where as sightron comes in both Mils and MOA. I was wary on going to Mils having used MOA for many years, but now I've made the change I only wish I had done sooner and now wish my Sightron was in Mils.

The ret in both scopes are very good, not too thin at min mag and not too fat at max mag. I love the floating dot on the sightron, and only wish more rets incorporated them. DMR is built like a tank but ugly, but turrets are well ahead of the sightron. The rain guard on the bushnell is fanstastic. On a drizzly day at Bisley I could continue to use the DMR but the sightron became useless in the rain. But so do a lot of other scopes.

I got 10% off my Sightron so they were very similar prices. If the sightron and bushnell were to have baby it would make one awesome scope!

If it were my choice with the money, it would be on the Bushnell DMR with a set of teir one rings and some change in my pocket.

I have a Sightron 8-32 and 2 Bushnell Elite scopes, (which to be fair I don't think are the same scope being discussed above). I don't like the Bushnells, I don't know if it's just my eyes as other people don't seem to have a problem, but I just don't like the image. It's really pronounced when shooting at a shoot'n'see target with a red dot center, the red dot always looks out of focus.

I love the Sightron, great image, great reticle, I have no problems with it.

Remember if people are saying a scope has a bigger FoV and a brighter image but less magnification, you have to be comparing them at the same magnification, of course any scope will have a smaller FoV and darker image if you just turn the magnification up...

I used my new DMR - which I understand is a different (superior) spec to the "Elites" under a red light the other evening and even though the G2 ret is fine, the definition was very very clear.

G" is a clever ret BTW.

The clarity of the glass to the edge with little aberation and the forgiving eye relief is far better than my Nightforce SHV's to be honest - though I like them too.

At dusk, a roe doe was very clear against a matching background with no lamp.

It is NOT a £2500 piece of Swaro glass as it retails at circa £899. Initially I disliked the stubby (Fugly) objective, but with a 2 inch sunshade on, it looks "normal. Tracking is great. I gone to the dark side and converted to Mils - a simple head switch !

No everyone likes the lifty turrets as the the Gen 1 scope do not have a zero stop but I'm liking mine a lot.

Believe me, Shaun at Optics Warehouse has the patience of a saint and specced one scope which I kept coming back to. Forget the You Tube criticism about weight. Get your hands on one at The Shooting Show.

Topped off with the new Tier One med bubble rings. Quality and confidence.

I'm going to the Shooting Show (managed to coach SWMBO into going).

I'm hoping to look at both side by side (ideally get a look at distance but likely to be under cover no doubt) fingers crossed I Will be able to make a decision.

Thanks again for all the input.

G

• 3 weeks later...

Looked at the Bushnell and Sightron at the shooting show. Couldn't side by side compare but both were impressive to my (untrained) eye. Eventually went for a Sightron for the extra magnification. Will get to test it this Saturday (indoor 100m range) and let you know how I get on.

Meant to say John from Aim Filed Sports was really patient and helpful, not pushy at all which was good. I chose the 8 x 32 with the MOAH reticle with Xmas tree (non illuminated).

Archived