New Mauser .308

David Hancock

I picked up the new Mauser M12 Impact in .308 this morning.

My thanks to all on a previous post "Which .308".

Thanks also to Sherlock and Si-Snipe in advice on the scope - A Bushnell Tactical Elite DMR with the G2 Reticle. Stunning service from Optics Warehouse. Rings Tier One 34mm reg and a Barton mod.

Straight up to my farm range to zero and within four shots was on POA with RWS HIT 165gn. A nice three shot "cluster" at 100 yards for all you five and ten shot groupers out there. Happy with that as a starter.

The gun - The smooth action and 60 deg bolt IHMO is an absolute joy. The feel - weight and balance - of the rifle and ergonomics / grip of the stock is a joy. The trigger is heaven and feeding from the top is so easy. The rifle is so smooth to shoot and recoil is minimal.

I just love it.

post-1254-0-21041800-1484419376_thumb.jpg

post-1254-0-28708300-1484419402_thumb.jpg

post-1254-0-29777000-1484419429_thumb.jpg

Handled one of these M12's at my local RFD on Friday, they are a very nice rifle and for the money spot on compared to Tikka, Sako and Sauer.

Looks like they shoot too?

Nice combination of rifle and scope Mr Hancock.

T

Hatzi - good evening. No. Why have you ?

I was advised by RJ Blackwell from whom I bought the gun that the Mauser liked the HIT. I also tried a soft point RWS 165gn but not to go for a group. The HIT seem good. £39 for 20 though ! Never mind, put a smile on my face today.

I'll have a play with others.

Terry, thank you. I really, really, really struggled with the scope but the combination of Sherlock (UKV), Shaun at Optics Warehouse and time made the decision for me. The glass is very crisp. And yes, Swaro will be crisper (and more elegant) at three times the price but I wanted a hunting tac scope with a Boone @ Crockett / Horus type ret. It's on there and I'm liking it. It's a fugly bugger without the 2 inch scope shade on but relaxing to use. The weight of the Mauser is bizarre. It has presence and heft but is so well balanced. I picked up 7 new Tikka T3X's and the stocks were shocking.

£1150 is a steal. Oh and the bolt race and lift is a dream. Would I like a custom ? Course I would but I had to work to a budget.

David,

Lovely rifle! You're right to be a happy man. If you haven't figured it out yet the pain in the arse screws to remove in the DMR are curved. I've marred mine up with a screw driver quite a few times before figuring out a 1p or 20p peice is the perfect tool for the job.

Enjoy the great combo

Mark

Marky, That is the one PITA with the DMR. I may get a clever old school engineer to make up some with a Torx. Great glass though first time out.

Mr Hudson, Any luck selling that £1000 Hawke scope !! LOL

If you ever do, and your mate doesn't mind doing a few (and they don't cost the earth) I know myself and friend of mine would love some torx version made up!

Yeah it's a great scope & tracks spot on too. Seems better glad than my sightron but if that's unfair comparing a 30mm vs 34mm I don't know

Archived