Time for a new 6.5 barrel.

LONG RANGE CAPT

Well after many a good year with my 6.5x47 barrel (on my Accuracy International) - It's burnt out and the accuracy has dropped right off.

I'm now looking at all the possibilities in the 6.5 range of options, but mainly 6.5x47 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

Would appreciate your thoughts on which route to go, with the following considerations:

1. Which is more accurate ?

2. Which barrel profile's should I look at ?

3. Which one would be the most cost effective to load ?

4. Longevity - looking to the future which one will dominate the shooting market place ?

Kind regards

Rob

As many know I'm a .260 Remington fan and when I was pondering a few years ago which way to go between 6.5x47 or .260 the thing that swung it was Lapua announcing that they would be making .260 Brass. If I was pondering the same thing today I would probably opt for 6.5 Creedmoor given that Lapua are about to release brass in that calibre (with a small primer pocket as a bonus). The 6.5 Creedmoor should allow you to option of shooting the circa 140 grain bullets without pushing the case too hard as you would if using the 6.5x47.

When my .260 needs re-barrelling I'll probably get another .260 fitted as I have quite a bit of virgin Lapua brass to use up and obviously the dies etc.

I don't think that anyone is more accurate than the other, I don't push my .260 hard but get excellent results with 139 grain Scenar bullets and no where near the maximum possible velocity. The 6.5 Creedmoor may allow you to chase the throat erosion for longer as it has a longer neck than the .260.

Barrel profile is dependant on use, if its a prone/supported only gun get a heavy profile if its a positional shooting gun get a lighter profile.

Cost of loads is going to very similar as brass (Lapua) is all going to be around £1.00 a case, bullets cost the same whichever case you put them in and powder charges are all going to be similar (.260 probably using a little more).

Longevity, I think all will be around for quite a while yet, the 6.5 Creedmoor having possibly slightly more appeal for some as its new.

I'm sure that there will be someone along soon who will provide a more detailed and in depth assessment of the pros and cons of each.

I'm in a similar predicament with the 260 Rem, however, I've now got the dies, lots of brass (Nosler and Lapua) and the loads worked up. So I see no significant benefit in changing to either 6.5 x 47 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor. All three will shoot better than I can.

Regards

JCS

Rob,

Just gone thru' the re-barrel process for my 6.5x47, stuck with the 47 as I already had the dies, brass etc. and I'm not good enough to tell the difference between any of the 6.5's - nothing I miss or score poorly on is down to the rifle or cartridge. I am though going to go from the 123g Scanar's to 130g Berger Hybrids. The 6.5 Creedmoor should work better with 139/140g bullets but think you'd have to look at seating depths to fit the AI mags?

As to your other questions, I chose a Benchmark barrel, 1:8 twist, Med Palma profile and 5 groove - as odd grooves makes sense to me and from memory it's finished at 24".

As to accuracy - well the trend in cartridges has been to shorter cases e.g. 30-06 went to 308, then you have 6mmBR (which would be chosen over say a 243 for accuracy) , 22& 6mmPPC, SAUM, WSM etc. so the 47 over the 260 would follow this - but is it in real terms any better?? Doubt it! Think the 47 has done well in pure target i.e. accuracy 'comps though? http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2016/08/amazing-2-856-10-shot-group-at-1000-yards/

At the end of the day there is always something new to try so you're paying, go for what you fancy :)

That's my 5 cents worth.

Brgds Terry

I would recommend the Bartlein Barrel in Heavy Varmint (HV) profile regardless of the 6.5CM or 6.5x47 choice. Its a great barrel on my 6.5 in AI stock and the results were very consistent as per my previous threads. The Bartlein was a suggestion from Baldie Dave so he may be able to jump in and give far more technical reasoning than I on it albeit I am happy with it, works as expected and is very popular with the US PRS gang over the last few years.

You already have the kit, powders, heads etc for 6.5x47 and brass (but perhaps invest in new brass?) so I agree fully with terryh about not re-spending the money that would be best used on getting more powder and bullets to put rounds down range. You know the round and you know it works so stick with the chosen recipe.

I find the extra weight isn't an issue with mine and helps me maintain sight picture under recoil etc and rides the bag better off the bench. The AI config isn't a lightweight config anyway so should be weight tolerant.

In terms of dominate the shooting market who knows, it may be that we have import issues over the next few years from the states (supply or tariffs who knows) so the market may be distorted from what we would actually like to have. I like the tried and tested so I would stick with 6.5x47 however as they say fortune favours the brave.... Good luck!

1. Which is more accurate ? The 47

2. Which barrel profile's should I look at ? Med Palma and don't sweat it

3. Which one would be the most cost effective to load ? Creed on the basis you will always have alternative brass should you wish and you won't have to load Berger in the 47 to keep with a 139/142+g cheaper bullet in the creed

4. Longevity - looking to the future which one will dominate the shooting market place ? Creed

You have given the 47 an airing, why not try something different, dare say you could move on an ai creed barrel real quick if you don't like it. Would like to see the creed lap brass close to home first tho. Good luck and let us know what way you go, I would interested to hear if going creed if you set the throat up for a particular bullet.

Regards Jon

Ive built quite a few 6.5x47s over the last few months ranging from Sako sporters to heavy varmint AI AWs and I have used barrels from Bartlein, Krieger and Pacnor. All have shot very well but there wasn't a stand out barrel, they all shot very small groups and appeared to be as good as each other.

I think the problem with asking which is the best caliber is you get fans of each answering and then the .260 gets thrown in as well. I guess you have the reloading gear for 6.5x47 as things stand, will either a Creed or .260 do anything the 6.5x47 wont? - I doubt it but change if you fancy a change rather than you think any will shoot better groups which they wont.

They are all going to cost the same to run give a take a few coppers.

• 1 month later...

Archived