Question on bipod usage

Hobbit

Hi

A question on bipod usage - I have noticed that with my TRG (308) it is more accurate when I forward load the bipod a bit, nothing silly but just stiffening up the set up - this can take some doing on very flat hard ground given the ski/pad type feet it sits on - although they have some teeth. I have also noticed some guys with heavy recoiling rifles have loops from their shooting mats to restrain the feet of the bipod and allow the rifle to 'load into' the bipod.

Is this normal practice and is there a trick here I am missing?

I also have a phoenix tactical bipod on my AR and it is excellent - with the low recoil 223 I don't feel the urge to load it but I wonder how I could given the flat feet. I know some of the most experienced shots on here hang their AIAX's etc from them - I am tempted to try it with a spit on my TRG to reduce kit proliferation and given that its nicer to use - is there a technique to using "ski feet" bipods versus spiked (or generally more grippy if you excuse the technical language) ??

I have tried both methods.

I find loading can help BUT only if you apply exactly the same load every time. Which is not easy. Not applying the same load is adding yet another variable and will result in vertical stringing.

Now, I dont load and find that method more consistant.

I load up but only with heavier calibres in light rifles.

A heavy .223 varmint rifle really doesn't seem to need it but my .280 AI hunting rifle def doesn't like being shot unloaded. The elevation goes astray if you don't.

I sometimes shoot with a Rempel bipod,and a SEB coaxial Joypod.Rempel is a fine design,though heavier than some can allow.Seb is a ...joy!

Both have ski feet,by design of course - and I sort of assume to enable some 'free recoil' (as an alternative to 'loading' to prevent 'jump' etc),which it does,and works for me-though I have not used it on anything brisker than a medium weight 308 (Steyr CISM).

Quite a different technique,of course,more familiar to Bench Rest shooters than Practical /field/ harris/atlas men.

"Go with the flow" approach,rather than try to divert recoil -it has to leak out somewhere.

gbal

That's interesting happyhunter, I watched a video on the Atlas and the Harris, the Atlas allows free recoil but the Harris doesn't.

Hence the reviewer allowed the recoil and the rifle to do its thing using the Atlas, but needed to load the Harris to prevent in jumping and causing vertical strings.

I guess sighting in a rifle using one or the other and then being consistent is the key.

I've just sighted my new Tikka 204 ruger on bags, a lot of my shooting is done off a bipod, I guess you can't cover all bases all the time.

That's interesting happyhunter, I watched a video on the Atlas and the Harris, the Atlas allows free recoil but the Harris doesn't.

Hence the reviewer allowed the recoil and the rifle to do its thing using the Atlas, but needed to load the Harris to prevent in jumping and causing vertical strings.

I guess sighting in a rifle using one or the other and then being consistent is the key.

I've just sighted my new Tikka 204 ruger on bags, a lot of my shooting is done off a bipod, I guess you can't cover all bases all the time.

Is use the Harris on a very lightweight foxing rifle in .223 with nv sight so apart from quick load development it fires about 200 rounds a year at fox.

The atlas is used on a heavy barrelled AI styled rifle in .6br which I've found if a slight forward pressure isn't applied to take the slight play out of the legs I get vertical, not much but enough to persuade me the bipod needs loaded. This is shooting prone with the claw feet and a rear bag.

I really like the look of the Phoenix bipod

Archived