Ruger precision Barrel

nearly there

I don't believe the standard length would be any good for 1000yds

308 isn't the best starting point for 1000 yards anyway? It does it, but there are much better options, indeed factory chamberings of the RPR.......

Grum,

Absolutely -I quite like 308,sometimes,and might even come to like the RPR-if it's 243 brings out that cartridge's potential...?...but it's something to come back to ,when you get jaded by the better cartridges (or divorced etc) :-)

I think I can consider a 338 if I have another few Hogmany's on the sauvignon blanc,rather than the Mc Callan 100y old malt-even if seems there are precious few alternatives,at the time (midnight,31st-and that includes Mumm's champage (subsonic 22rf)) -sorry,Mum!)

atb

gbal

I shoot a 308 RPR at 1000. You need to use a good 175 grain bullet like the Sierra TMK, or the A-MAX or the new Nosler RDF. The 175's in the 308 will give you the reach you need to 1000 and a bit beyond. As was said, a better choice is the Creedmoor if you spend most of your shooting time at that distance. I don't so a 308 was my first choice when I ordered my RPR. I have since purchased a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM.~Andrew

Hi grim I get what your saying with the 308 but my other rifle would be what I'd use most and the 308would be for other interests and in windy conditions.there is other rounds better suited but 308 is cheap to load for and don't break the bank to buy.

Hi Andrew how do you find the 6.5c to load for i.e. Availability of components and cost

nearly there, I reload (I am however still quite new to reloading) both .308 and 6.5CM and the .308 offers a greater availability of components; until recently 6.5CM components were difficult to acquire (when I purchased my 6.5CM rifle it took a while to get everything) also currently 50 6.5CM cases will cost around £50/£60 dependant upon where you purchase from, £60 from this link https://www.1967spud.com/shop/hornady/hornady-rifle-brass/ whichis more expensive that .308 and £44.95 from here http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=HORN-86281

Also if you also wish to purchase any factory ammunition then 6.5CM is more expensive than .308.

I must say however that I do enjoy shooting both the .308 and the 6.5CM

Archived