Weight Saving - discuss

Ronin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame you need a big mag capacity Andy as that immediately limits your options dramatically.

I was round at Greg's place (NZ Hunter) today so took some pics of light weight guns. I was wrong what I said about what they consider acceptable weight. 8lbs is "way too heavy" for mountain guns.

Here's a 6.5lb med/big banger. Chambered in his 7 FatMax, it delivers 7 RUM performance in a short action. Built on a Rem Ti action with a 26" barrel in a McMillan Hunters Edge stock. It's had some serious thrashing in the Fiordland mountains, functions as a climbing stick much of its life and gets tossed across flooded rivers. You can see plenty of garks on the stock.

FM1_zpsaclesosc.jpg

FM2_zpsybq6z7sd.jpg

On the more modest end of the scale is their current Bush Pig, well in a .284 version at least. They build many of these in 7-08, .308 and also 7 SAUM. It's a T3 in their own carbon stock, DPT can and the same 3.5-18 BT Z5 as on the FatMax. Despite the very compact dimensions, it's a very competent 500yd deer gun. All-up weight 6.2lbs

B-Pig_zpsmcqgyajv.jpg

assumed your comment followed on from the preceding comments ..... you know, like in a chat :rolleyes::)

You know what they say about assumption! Just threw and idea in there, like in a chat, in the pub, over a post shoot pint

You know what they say about assumption! Just threw and idea in there, like in a chat, in the pub, over a post shoot pint

more like something I would do after 5 pints if it linked to something someone had said half an hour ago, as though nothing had been said since :D:) :)

If you want a really light rifle that shoots, get yourself a Kimber and learn how to use sticks and shoot off a back pack ;)

wont work

You see, the bloke from Boyzone is happy enough to drop £3-4k on the parts to build a new lightweight rifle that will hopefully perform like his AX

What he is better off doing is using some of that £3-4k to buy a membership at his local gym so he can build enough muscle to carry the Accuracy Intl up the hills without too much trouble :-)

wont work

You see, the bloke from Boyzone is happy enough to drop £3-4k on the parts to build a new lightweight rifle that will hopefully perform like his AX

What he is better off doing is using some of that £3-4k to buy a membership at his local gym so he can build enough muscle to carry the Accuracy Intl up the hills without too much trouble :-)

Yeah, but new year, new toy! He could even get one of those new-fangled LR chamberings line .30-'06 or 7x64 ;)

wont work

What you forget is that no matter how fit you are...you will go further and faster with lighter gear.

Maybe I am the only one here getting older, I am not as fit as I used to be and must change tactics (gear being part of that) bit by bit to achieve same amount of deer shot.

edi

Yet again we are wondering off topic. The OP was regarding a sensible discussion regarding weight loss of a suitable rifle to be used instead of an AX. We all know the AX is a fantastic rifle but the op is looking for a lighter alternative.

Whilst all of us are getting older and no doubt not as fit as we once were the OP's fitness level is not the issue.

Chris, those rifles look to have been on a serious diet! With the light weight sporter barrels how does their accuracy hold up during a string of fire? I'm thinking along the lines of taking multiple animals whilst culling?

I don't see the problem with wondering, or even wandering off topic, some of you are wired far too tight for your own good, I swear.

It's the internet, a bit of fun and banter never goes amiss, why do you have to be so sterile and serious (dull) on here for Christs sake?

Moving on, the answer would seem to be an off the shelf T3 Lite or something similar.

Why does it have to be a full on Military grade Sniper rifle, a multi thousand ££££ custom build or a (to use UKVs favorite phrase) a "semi-custom"?

So let's ask Mr Keating what he really wants, but I'll guarantee you it'll be something that has all the attributes of his AX, but is much lighter and it isn't really going to happen.

Here's the thing, the AI action is bonded to a pretty hefty piece of aluminium real estate

How about someone weighs an AX barrelled action c/w ally chassis section and then weighs a comparable normal barrel and action to get a weight difference as a basis to start from?

Ronin. Some thoughts on weight.

Carbon barrels save a bit of weight, eg Proof. 264 18" Sendero profile 2lb 10 Oz, 1.2" bull 18" 3lb 4 oz

AICS AX 308 chassis pre 2014 5.7 lbs (5.6 lbs with new asre end). Going to be very close to AIAX chassis weight anyway. 13" fore end rail weight 13 Oz, plus bits of picatinny rail, so say 1lbs if you can live without it and mount your atlas ala edm windrunner.

I had a Jordan spec Aiawsm 338. Ai Swiss cheesed the forend and butt stock plus milled bits out of the center section. Don't think there was more than half a pound saving. However you could mill the butt end box section and save some weight or replace the box section behind the folding hinge with an Ar15 buffer tube and stock. It would be lighter but ugly and may not do the CofG any good. Anyway a bit of creativity and a 2lb saving might be possible and a bit more going to a March scope and rings.

Comparison with other options, gucci KRG Habu or Xlr Carbon stocks run about 3.5lbs but you are more or less tied into Remmy footprint actions and AICS mags

Traditional stocks, even with m2008 m2013, Stiller Aw30 action etc, with AW mags....would it really be that much lighter if you add the same features - folding stock, forend rail, adjustable cheek piece and Lop plus alloy bedding block and bottom metal?

You are not limited to AICS mags in remmy type actions, its a simple job to convert your AW mag to feed to a central position and height to suit remy or remy clone type actions. So if your only criteria is a ten shot AW size mag would it not be more sensible to alter the mag to suit the system rather than build a system to suit a specific mag?

Chris, those rifles look to have been on a serious diet! With the light weight sporter barrels how does their accuracy hold up during a string of fire? I'm thinking along the lines of taking multiple animals whilst culling?

These guys don't tend to get into blaze-ups. It's usually a single shot needed..

Heat wander comes down to barrel quality usually. Everything is free-floated so no bedding issues there. They prefer cut rifles barrels, particularly Bartlein, but have been doing a few carbon-wrapped Hardy ones recently and they have shot well. Unless you're going longer than ~25", there's very little weight saving over say a #2 1/2 or 3 fluted which is what they tend to use in conventional barrels. Bartlein will only flute down to #3 so they have to do their own fluting on a 2 1/2 bbl.

My own Bush Pig has had a few bursts, especially on goats, and I've never noticed a wandering zero. You'd have to check that on a target for any degree of certainty.

The ten shot TRG (CTR) mag is not that big either and feeds central.

Checked my zero quickly off the hood of my car 100m today. 3 Shot group, not too shabby for a factory T3 barrel and Hornady factory 168gr match ammo.

IMG_0701_zps9phbk2am.jpg

edi

Checked my zero quickly off the hood of my car 100m today. 3 Shot group, not too shabby for a factory T3 barrel and Hornady factory 168gr match ammo.

IMG_0701_zps9phbk2am.jpg

edi

What quarry do you use the match ammo on ?

I don't see the problem with wondering, or even wandering off topic, some of you are wired far too tight for your own good, I swear.

It's the internet, a bit of fun and banter never goes amiss, why do you have to be so sterile and serious (dull) on here for Christs sake?

Moving on, the answer would seem to be an off the shelf T3 Lite or something similar.

Why does it have to be a full on Military grade Sniper rifle, a multi thousand ££££ custom build or a (to use UKVs favorite phrase) a "semi-custom"?

So let's ask Mr Keating what he really wants, but I'll guarantee you it'll be something that has all the attributes of his AX, but is much lighter and it isn't really going to happen.

Here's the thing, the AI action is bonded to a pretty hefty piece of aluminium real estate

How about someone weighs an AX barrelled action c/w ally chassis section and then weighs a comparable normal barrel and action to get a weight difference as a basis to start from?

+1

edi

Yes but the OP is knocking off military grade deer so that wont do, plus it dont look very ally :)

I listed the AICS AX chassis weight after bradders post. This is going to be the same within an ounce or two for the Ax chassis. Pre 2014 5.7 lbs with new arse end after 2014 5.6 lbs. This is for the short action with 13" forend tube.

Archived