Test

pork chop

EC1E3A2D-B090-43CD-B363-3718F9BA4D17.jpg rifle was built buy Steve Kershaw,tikka t3 with a sassen 9 twist in a Macmillan sako hunter and fitted with a aics mag .had it since April and other than putting a few of my old loads through it haven't touched it since.i loaded some 69 gr tmk with viht 135 from 28 to 29.5 up in .3 and set them 15 thou off,put a few shots on target with my old load from my last 22 br which was a 55 gr sbk ( orange dot and bottom right after adjusting) all loads shot well I thought but going to load some more at 29.5 and work up some more in .3 .

Very nice! Hopefully have a .22BR heading my way very soon, just waiting for plod to get back off chrimbo hols!

Out of interest what was your 55SBK load?

This is what I'm hoping to use. Rifle also has a 9 twist.

Hi Porkchop , Each off your groups has a degree of horizontal with two or all of the shots which normally indicates seating depth when you come to settle on a powder charge . IMHO

Regarding 3 or 5 's , An old guy many years ago said to me that ' If the second shot ain't touching the first then the third , fourth or fifth ain't going bring it any closer ' :D

Good luck with it

OSOK

Hi Porkchop , Each off your groups has a degree of horizontal with two or all of the shots which normally indicates seating depth when you come to settle on a powder charge . IMHO

Regarding 3 or 5 's , An old guy many years ago said to me that ' If the second shot ain't touching the first then the third , fourth or fifth ain't going bring it any closer ' :D

Good luck with it

Will work on length when I have a charge weight like you say ,done that with my other rifles and it works well for me.been told the two shot way before and it does make sense

Good luck with it

OSOK

well said that man

While it simply has to be true that no number of further shots can reduce the distance (group size) between the number of shots already fired,and can only equal or more likely increase total size,it is generally informative to shoot more than two shots.

I can see a case for aborting a 'group' if the first two shots are unacceptably far apart,but then you'd really need to do another group with that load.....

.......SO,there seems to me no two shots in any of the groups PC gives,where it would be clearly reasonable to stop that group..ie not fire a third shot (the centre orange might be different,if the low shot was either first or second,but that group was shot with 'old load' anyhow...and not part of the test-and is 'redeemed by it's repeat lower right,anyhow-maybe low was first 'cold bore'?-but it's hardly important.)

All the others are rather good, especially for a first load development session,and none are remotely so disappointing that any one of them merited abandoning after two shots.....indeed,most if not all woud be better if five shots had been fired...but they can be repeated.

The issue about .3 or.5 g powder increase is quite separate,and not resolved here-there isn't a very clear node-most are pretty good,so more loads and groups needed anyhow to see if any exist in this powder range....any might well do rather well,thank you.

In something of a contrast,there were three pages of targets up a couple of days ago where the five shots at each target seemed well separated....the issue there was every group was to that extent rather unconvinging as to real potential...unless they were at 200 yards,in a breeze..... :-)

gbal

Yes George bottom shot on orange target was the first cold bore shot or me just a bit rusty but it was the first shot . hopefully get some more loads knocked up and tested at the weekend, if stuck for time i may just try the 29.5 load again and at 200y also

Yes George bottom shot on orange target was the first cold bore shot or me just a bit rusty but it was the first shot . hopefully get some more loads knocked up and tested at the weekend, if stuck for time i may just try the 29.5 load again and at 200y also

Why not got between 29.2 & 29.5? They are both tight groups, low & right.

You then give yourself leeway on charge/temperature/etc, knowing that you're good on either side

Why not got between 29.2 & 29.5? They are both tight groups, low & right.

You then give yourself leeway on charge/temperature/etc, knowing that you're good on either side

that would probably be the sensible thing to do but to be honest i think its still got potential for a bit more velocity not best time of year to be chasing hot loads though

Thanks,Gary,for that confirmation-it is just so out compared to everything else,first shot cold and clean,seemed ever likely.

Looks like the low 29s will do just fine- using Simoni's rationale- (or even the low 28s !)

I'd not go much chasing velocity with this kind of accuracy/consistency-but I don't know what a top book/SAAMI velocity would be really-and I'm ever prone to stay on the barrel's side if they are going through the same hole (trajectory etc will hardly be measureably different with another 75+fps at any effective range....esp in the cold,as you say!

g

Couldn't find much info on the load I'm using so started where I felt was about right,at the moment I don't know what speed they're doing but primers look fine.never been one for chasing top speeds but do think it's got more legs yet but the more I think about it the best thing to do is work on the 29.5 gr load see how repeatable it is and try some different lengths,hell I may even set the chrono up

• 2 weeks later...

Hey PC,

How's the load development going?!

Looking to shoot either 55gr SBK or 52gr Amax in mine when I get it.

But the 9 twist gives the option of heavier, so this threads of interest to me!

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Archived