£999.99 scope budget - what ?

David Hancock

Well when I sold mine it was the older version and there were a few floating around the £1000 mark. I sold mine for £1050 for that money no doubt the best scope.

Yeah true if you can find one at that price I would snap it up as there excellent scopes.

Cheers James

After someone mentioned optics warehouse 6-25x50 mk4LR Leupold at 995 new / on offer. this what id buy 100% . i cheaked it, and there a bargain alright .

• 2 weeks later...

David , There are lots of scopes that fit your needs and i'm sure all would work well , However if you then at some point want to sell or trade etc a thousand pounds worth of Minox is not going to sell like an NXS even though it's a nice scope .

IMHO .... Buy a good NXS for £1000 ...... Look after it and if you do decide to sell it in the future you should get £1000 ..... Not much to think about really .

Greg

Eric, thank you for the PM. OSOK, a very good point. I actually went with a Bushnell Tactical Elite DMR with a G2 reticle. I previously had an NSX 5.5-22x56 NPR2 and bought / sold for the same $$.

I like the Bushy. As does Sherlock and Si-Snipe. The glass is really clear - arguably not Swarovski clear but there again £899 versus £2450 ! I love the Mil turret and Mil ret. Slightly different head maths than MOA but it makes life interesting. Tracks well, ugly stubby bugger on the objective, but with the 2inch sunshade on looks "normal". Tracks well. Happy

Speaking as the owner of both an NSX and a Bushnell DMR, rather surprisingly, I have to say that the DMR is the scope that I prefer. Great optics, great build, great turrets. Mils is easy. With the standard Milrad turrets of 1/10th per click it simply equals 1cm at 100m or 0.36 inches at 100 yds instead of the more usual 0.25 inches (approx) for an MOA scope. The advantage is that your turrets combined with a Milrad ret are matched in the First Focal Plane. Add to that, it has loads of internal elevation, easily enough in 308 to get you to 1000 yards. For the money, I'd argue it's unbeatable. Nothing I've come across yet betters it for the cash. To get better, you're paying a fair bit more for top class Zeiss, Nightforce or S&B.

There is an excellent,general shooter oriented,detailed,and unbiased review here ( pro and con-mainly good,esp for price) : if I get the FFP and mil itch,this scope and it's excellent (for me) reticule would be a top contender (I have a B&L bench rest scope,and this may have just a bit of that nice scope's DNA-which would explain why it's a classy Bushnell indeed,and has impressed some savvy shooters on here):That said,there are some pretty good others;the 3.5-21x is limited (for me) for much beyond 400y -there is an XRS 4.5-30;I can't imagine much use for a precision scope below 8x-and plenty for one up to 40x....oops,maybe 12-42 NF is me....but it isn't FFP/mil....and it's more £(new) -let alone the replacement Beast and wallet Attacr. :-)

Sniper Central "Bushnell EliteTactical DMR 3.5-21x50"

gbal

There is an excellent,general shooter oriented,detailed,and unbiased review here ( pro and con-mainly good,esp for price) : if I get the FFP and mil itch,this scope and it's excellent (for me) reticule would be a top contender (I have a B&L bench rest scope,and this may have just a bit of that nice scope's DNA-which would explain why it's a classy Bushnell indeed,and has impressed some savvy shooters on here):That said,there are some pretty good others;the 3.5-21x is limited (for me) for much beyond 400y -there is an XRS 4.5-30;I can't imagine much use for a precision scope below 8x-and plenty for one up to 40x....oops,maybe 12-42 NF is me....but it isn't FFP/mil....and it's more £(new) -let alone the replacement Beast and wallet Attacr. :-)

Sniper Central "Bushnell EliteTactical DMR 3.5-21x50"

gbal

:)

Must admit George, that I find anything much over 20x, even beyond 600 yds a challenge when the weather starts to warm up. Up to 20x and mirage doesn't seem to intrude too much. Beyond that, it can be a right royal pain, hence my tired old eyes prefer a max mag of no more than 25x, so the DMR is one I'm very happy with. Must admit though, the laws of physics cannot be bypassed, so a good reason for going to a higher mag (but NOT a higher zoom ratio), is that optics seldom perform at their best at the extremes of their magnification range, hence something like a 5.5-30x used at 21x may well better a straight 3.5-21 used at the extreme end of its range. All imho etc etc.

Ah,yes-I have those issue eyes too-though mirage gets everyone.Maybe we don't get that any warm plus days up here.

Ilike the option of higer x,when useable-but more often the NF is at 30 ish(and well within it's'comfort zone'.

When the aim mak at 1000y is something about the sizeof an orange/grapefruit,more x is useful-if you can't aim precisely and consistently every time then small groups become even more elusive (I mean 1/2moa or 5 ish inches)-likewise areticule that covers more of the 'orange'doesnot help atall-you might be aiming an inch apart (a inch on the target) which plays out to more shot dispersal...

Moa gongs at lesser distances are less demanding.Varmints too will not be engaged at 1000y-even half is a long,long shot-a thicker reticule and lower mag does not help-somewhere on the crow,probably,but that is not really the best we can do.It is an individual thing,though to hit it,you have to see it and aim precisely.Then its just' a simple mattter of exact windreading out to the target..... :-)

I use 8-25 Leupolds quite a bit,generally fine at the higher mags for say,clay pigeon target size to 500 or so...but prefer the 40x when mirage free....I used to use (6-)24x for 250 y bunnies too....most x I could afford,and aboout enough.

But I also enjoy the challenge of open sights and no bipod etc in offhand plinking-aperture sight helps the eyes on that!

Horses for courses....and jockeys !!

g

Agreed-it's the next 500y that gets critical,with small targets (1/2 moa ish)....and of course,with hi mag ,field of view is much reduced,if you have to scan for the next target way off to the side,under time pressure. But that is not a very common shooting scenario,and if so mag can be reduced. Pros and cons as usual.

Trying out is always worthwhile-hi mag can be a revelation used realistically (not in the shop). I recall one time years ago shooting a 36x PPC into a bug hole,and being asked why I didn't shoot several shots.Well,I did .."F*** o**..impossible"..No,try it,watch the very light ....trigger,try again... "Can't,scope is broken ..the cross hair moves"...Err,no -ignore ,that's your heart beating-try a looser hold...well,we got there-or at least just touching shots (which is only .243 on the old measure) but he'd never done that before....

...and maybe didn't want to again...not for everyone,or every shooting scenario.

His 2 inch ''group' would indeed "kill any deer,that would"...(so long as it was only100 yards away ) ;-)

gbal

Agreed-it's the next 500y that gets critical,with small targets (1/2 moa ish)....and of course,with hi mag ,field of view is much reduced,if you have to scan for the next target way off to the side,under time pressure. But that is not a very common shooting scenario,and if so mag can be reduced. Pros and cons as usual.

Trying out is always worthwhile-hi mag can be a revelation used realistically (not in the shop). I recall one time years ago shooting a 36x PPC into a bug hole,and being asked why I didn't shoot several shots.Well,I did .."F*** o**..impossible"..No,try it,watch the very light ....trigger,try again... "Can't,scope is broken ..the cross hair moves"...Err,no -ignore ,that's your heart beating-try a looser hold...well,we got there-or at least just touching shots (which is only .243 on the old measure) but he'd never done that before....

...and maybe didn't want to again...not for everyone,or every shooting scenario.

His 2 inch ''group' would indeed "kill any deer,that would"...(so long as it was only100 yards away ) ;-)

gbal

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Secondhand Zeiss 6-24x56 you'll get one of the older ones for a £1000 or maybe just over with a good choice of reticles.. superb scopes

For low light work agreed, but if its only daylight stuff then NSX is hard to beat, good choice of rets, dials accurately and holds together well. In that last 10 mins before dark the aim dot on my NP2DD reticule in my NSX vanishes, either illuminated or not. Had to shoot 3 foxes one evening just using the side bars on the ret, just as well they were only 100 yards or so.

Swaro PVS is also a good scope for all round use with light plex, I had a pigeon at just short of 500 yards this summer with one. Not had any experience with PM2 but do know a guy who sold his NSXs and switched to PM2s then changed back within a few months.

A

Archived