£999.99 scope budget - what ?

David Hancock

To use a quote "I used to be decisive but now I'm not so sure". Believe you me, I have a spreadsheet on scopes vs cost vs functionality but . . . . .

On a .308. - Tactical / varminting look and function

- 1/4 clicks

- MOA ret and turret - cannot get my head round MRAD. No number 4 or plex rets. BDC's are a no no as they are set up for a totally different rifle - sorry Minox !

- 15 x mag and up - 50/56 Obj

- IL preferable

To be used predominantly at 100 - 500 yards both hold over and dial up

Also looking to book at WMS range next year and take out to 1000 yards which would be a rare outing but good learning.

There is a nice Leup Mk 4 8.5-25x50 on OpticsWarehouse site for £995 with Mildot ret. 50% off. Are Leupolds so out of favour ?

I run NF SHV's on my other rifles which I like but attract negative views. I previously had a NSX which was a lump, but good.

I also have a 4-16x50 Hawke Sidewinder 10x Mil Dot for £359 which is stunning value for money and I have looked through a Swaro Z5 BT at £2540. It comes with a 1000 page instruction book !

Minox ??

Sightron ??

Delta ??

Swaro / March Leica / Kahles - outside my budge

Schmidt - ??

IOR - fugly

Vortex - no. Not until you invest in the Razor series

Does not have to be new. Yes I've looked at Mcleos of Tain

My thoughts . . . I want a Hawke Sidewinder for £1000 !!!!!! Is it that simple ????

I would wait for a S/h Schmidt and use the intervening time to save a few more pennies. There was a 4~16 pmii in macleods and there are a few 5-25 Schmidts around on the SD classifieds at the moment that would do the job

Personally got to be nightforce nxs for that money or a new sightron just as good glass as the nxs but not quite got the build quality but good enough. Both better than the leupolds I've had glass wise ,always found meopter good scopes

i would also make sure to get a first focal plane scope if your wanting to do hold overs as going to max mag on a sfp scope will be far to magnified for quick target acquisition

buy a vortex http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope/

it provides ffp for target aquisition which will really help theres nothing worse when using a sfp scope than wasting time by going to max mag to do a hold over and then losing the target

also gives you everything else you want

1/4 clicks

MOA ret and turret

24x mag

50 Obj

illumanted

or failing that buy something more expensive over 1000 that meets your requirements or buy something that does not meet your requirements fully for less and then come across problems ;)

i dont own a vortex nor sell them but ive seen through a few and for price point they are good

If your happy with your sidewinder why not have a look through the new 6-24x56 versions.....they are fabulous for the money

Ive looked through the vortex and sightrons and really do like the no fuss appeal of the sightron.

delta are on par with my bushy elite tactical, which again is a simple clear scope to use....top end mag does start to get a tad fussy and glare, but sticking my 6-24 sidewinder next to my bushy tac, lets just say the few hundred quid price difference is very difficult to justify.

if I had a grand of someone else's money to spend I would like a sightron, but could never justify the gains over scopes I have. That's purely my 2p worth

HI David,

Personally I would go for the Bushnell DMR or ERS 3-21x50. See video by Rich Utting - link at bottom of post.

unfortunately think they are in MIL/red only - so if that's a deal breaker ,,, Hay-Ho

http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/product/bushnell-elite-tactical-ers-3-5-21x50-g2-zs-riflescope/

This was going to be my next scope after comparing it to several others including the Sightron - NF NXS and IOR 6-24.

It is simply built solid like a NF - but with FAR better optics , which IMO let the NXS scopes down for their price.

I ended up getting a Kahles K6-24x56i - My pal Sisnipe tested the Bushnell 3-21 for over a month and confirmed that it was superior to his S3 in virtually every aspect.

Both of us were amazed how good theses Bushys are... they are NOT the 6500 in another form - optics are excellent. I don't often find myself completely agreeing with all of Rich Uttings reviews - however he has this one bang on IMO.

I use Kahles and Zeiss Victory's scopes, and you have to spend a lot more over the Bushnell ( which I did - to get anything better)

Review HERE >>>>>> https://youtu.be/U_EAo4Pij80

Sightron for that kind of money, I had a Leupold Mk4 and the eye relief changes with the magnification.

I'd look at the 8-32x56 with MOA reticle.

http://www.aimfieldsports.com/siiiss-8-32x56-lrmoa-147-p.asp

HTH

Alan

I agree, I have just purchased such a scope for my Ruger PR in 6.5CM: you won't be disappointed.

post-13791-0-92743700-1483125613_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't sell my Zeiss victory 6-24x56fl for £1000

Well when I sold mine it was the older version and there were a few floating around the £1000 mark. I sold mine for £1050 for that money no doubt the best scope.

Archived