Sako 75 advice

Hi looking at getting a sako 75 for a custom build. First question how many different versions of th 75 action are there and what is the difference between them is there a particular version I should stay away from ? Secondly what should I look to pay for a blued donor action.

Regards s-b

I have a Sako 75 Mk IV great action and in 6.5x55

Yes, Sako action IV is what the factory uses for the 6.5x55 SE Swedish

(the others are I -222/3;III 308,7-08,243,22-250; and V mags-from 7Rem mag on up).

The 6.5x55 was available (all action IV) as model 75 in Hunter;Hunter Stainless;Deluxe;Varmint;Synthetic Stainless;Finnlight.

gbal

Yes, Sako action IV is what the factory uses for the 6.5x55 SE Swedish

(the others are I -222/3;III 308,7-08,243,22-250; and V mags-from 7Rem mag on up).

The 6.5x55 was available (all action IV) as model 75 in Hunter;Hunter Stainless;Deluxe;Varmint;Synthetic Stainless;Finnlight.

gbal

Would a 270 or 25-06 be the IV action ? And would 75 in one of these calibers work for a x55 build or would the action be too long ?

Regards s-b

Nothing wrong with using a Sako 75 (or any of the earlier Sakos) for a semi custom build.

Your donor should be a long action.

Personally, if I were buildingusing the 75 I wouldnt use one with the standard plastic stock (unless you were going to use an aftermarket stock)

Would a 270 or 25-06 be the IV action ? And would 75 in one of these calibers work for a x55 build or would the action be too long ?

Regards s-b

The 26-06 and 270w cartridges used the same Sako IV action (also 7x64,30-06,9.3x62).

The III action would be too short-which is probably why Sako made the 6.5x55 in the next sze up,the IV action.....

gbal

Sako offered 5 action variants with the 75 model.

I

III

IV

V

SM

6.5x55 was a standard and popular factory clambering and was built on the action IV.

You are the only one who has got it mostly right, but didn't Sako originally make an Action II as well for the 6PPC, very rare now as they didn't make them for long???

I have 2 semi-custom rifles based on the Sako 75 action and I think they are great choice for a hunting rifle, the main downside being that there is not a huge choice in after-market stocks, I ended up having both my original stocks modified as I couldn't get the stocks that I wanted in the action sizes I have (I and SM), however as the OP is looking to build on the Action IV he should have a bit more choice available to him.

Anthony, The 2002 Sako catalog lists the Sako 6PPC USA cartridge in the Varmint Laminated Stainless model as Action III,and that is what mine is marked. That does not mean there has never been an Action II. I agree about the suitability as hunting rifles;more limited after market choices,but they are less in need of such than most-but individuals vary (as do stock constructions).I didn't include the SM (SuperMagnum) action, as in TRG 5 (30-338,338 Lapua Mag) as it's a non starter for the OP.

Sako have also used 'marketing' names like Vixen,Forrester,Finnbear for the short,med,long actions...but the Roman Numerals are what Sako use to identify actions in the tech specs.I think I had a 222Sako marked AI.......and it was,too!

g

SM stood for Short mag not Super Magnum.

Not sure about the action II for the PPC as I thought they used the action III as you say.

It's of no importance in this context.

The Sako 2002 catalog does list theTRG-S M995 Super Mag for the 30-378 WBY Mag and 338 Lapua Mag cartridges.

The V action is availableon 300Win Mag,7mmRem UltraMag,7STW,300WBY Mag,300Win Mag,& Rem Mag,maybe more,but the descriptor Short Mag isn't used. Maybe it is in other Sako publications;Super Mag is used.The TRG 42 action isn't specified-and may well differ for the 300WinMag and338Lapua Mag. Hardly matters here.

g

You are referring to the 995 action Gbal.

The SM action in the 75 was Short mag. I owned one in 300 WSM at the time but you rarely see them for sale. Another forum member on here that I am good friends with has one currently in .270 WSM and is a great rifle/action. That's the only other one I have come across in my time.

You are referring to the 995 action Gbal.

The SM action in the 75 was Short mag. I owned one in 300 WSM at the time but you rarely see them for sale. Zaitsev has one currently in .270 WSM and is a great rifle/action.

That was why I quoted the Sako 2002 catalog,and referenced it. Sako does not mention a 'Short Mag" action there.

"Sako Specifications:Sako 75 Hunter" from Sako's web site information says this:

"The Sako 75Hunter has a series of actions which are designated: Short Action I; Medium Action III and SM;Long Actions IV and V (Magnum).

I 222/223

III 22/250,243W,260R,7-08R,308W

SM 270W Short Mag.300Win Short Mag

IV 25-06 6.5 X55.......9.3x66

V 7 Rem Mag......375 H&H Mag

That is verbatim from the Sako site. Catalog was 2002.

As I said,there may be other CARTRIDGES available at other times-the Sako ^PPC USA being one (Acton III)

If you have an official source for contrary information,I'd be interested (see below).

Meanwhile,one explanation might be thaat you are using the "Short Mag" SAAMI description of both of the cartridges used in the SM action,and allocating that desriptor to the action...plausible,but not what Sako did.

Just a suggestion-but it seems to fit-as said,it's not important in this context....

...but can be when trying to track a specific action/rifle down-I mentioned the generic names SAko have used (Vixen,Forrester,Finnbear) correlating with actions,and there is confusing claims in US about the much admired early 222s-which I was after 50 yearsago,and also the Hornet action is sometimes asked about on here.

The quite different Tikkas also had 308w in two action lengths (55 and 65) and I have had one of each,and there are occasional dscussions about this-both right,and the sniper variant M differs somewhat too fromthe regular M65 or 65M (despite having,I never remember which is which-ie where the M goes,and whether sniper is 55 or 65,and it's too cold to go look,on a trivia).

Generallly,the official designation is definitive,but popular useage may/not agree exactly.

I'd be interested though,if Sako did use the term "Short Magnum" to describe their SM,but not that interested to do a full search.

Shooters use of the term is understandable-for the two Win chamberings in "Winchester Short Magnum" cartridges(or any others Sako added for that action.

atb

g

• 2 weeks later...

That was why I quoted the Sako 2002 catalog,and referenced it. Sako does not mention a 'Short Mag" action there.

"Sako Specifications:Sako 75 Hunter" from Sako's web site information says this:

"The Sako 75Hunter has a series of actions which are designated: Short Action I; Medium Action III and SM;Long Actions IV and V (Magnum).

I 222/223

III 22/250,243W,260R,7-08R,308W

SM 270W Short Mag.300Win Short Mag

IV 25-06 6.5 X55.......9.3x66

V 7 Rem Mag......375 H&H Mag

That is verbatim from the Sako site. Catalog was 2002.

As I said,there may be other CARTRIDGES available at other times-the Sako ^PPC USA being one (Acton III)

If you have an official source for contrary information,I'd be interested (see below).

Meanwhile,one explanation might be thaat you are using the "Short Mag" SAAMI description of both of the cartridges used in the SM action,and allocating that desriptor to the action...plausible,but not what Sako did.

Just a suggestion-but it seems to fit-as said,it's not important in this context....

...but can be when trying to track a specific action/rifle down-I mentioned the generic names SAko have used (Vixen,Forrester,Finnbear) correlating with actions,and there is confusing claims in US about the much admired early 222s-which I was after 50 yearsago,and also the Hornet action is sometimes asked about on here.

The quite different Tikkas also had 308w in two action lengths (55 and 65) and I have had one of each,and there are occasional dscussions about this-both right,and the sniper variant M differs somewhat too fromthe regular M65 or 65M (despite having,I never remember which is which-ie where the M goes,and whether sniper is 55 or 65,and it's too cold to go look,on a trivia).

Generallly,the official designation is definitive,but popular useage may/not agree exactly.

I'd be interested though,if Sako did use the term "Short Magnum" to describe their SM,but not that interested to do a full search.

Shooters use of the term is understandable-for the two Win chamberings in "Winchester Short Magnum" cartridges(or any others Sako added for that action.

atb

g

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're talking about. You appear to be agreeing with and contradicting JBirchall's opinion simultaneously. Please explain in English.

As far as I'm aware, JBirchall is correct. The SM action was only ever chambered to the Winchester Short Magnum cartridges as it had a wider mag well to accommodate the fatter cartridges.

Kind regards,

Tim

17 Rem, I quoted the SAKO Information from the Sako website-and if you read down the list of actions you can see the SM is listed for the 270 and 300 Win Super Magnum cartridges-it is not in the 2002 catalog -probably for your rason-and I did not quote from that catalog,but used the SAKO website as a nore comprehensive source-note the action is referenced by Sako as SM not Super Magnum.

Tom,sorry you have had trouble reading clearly,and saying what you don't follow...read the above reply to 17Rem,and take on board the last phrase....Sako do not use the term "Super Magnum" but only the SM description. The Sako SM action was used for the Win

Super Magnum cartridges,but the term 'Super Magnum"action was not used by Sako-as far as I can see.....but,as I suggested,it's easy to see why some have called the Sako SM the 'Super Magnum' action-but Sako didn't. As Sako refer to it, its the Sako SM action,as used in the Win Super Magnum cartridges (270,300)..and not much/anything else.....

Sako did use the term "Super Magnum" in their 2002 catalog for the action in the TRG-5 M995,chambered in 30-378 Weatherby Magnum,and 338 Lapua Magnum;maybe later they did refer to the action used in the Win Super Mag cartridges as 'Super Mag'-as I said,I'd be interested to hear where,maybe in later catalogs....if the 30-338 WM and 338LM fit the SM action,then it's likely....but I'm not about to check without a better reason to do so than a terminological tidy up.On the other hand,if these two can't fit in the Win Super Mag sako SM action,then it's a bit clearer why Sako used SM.....and they could have later made an SSM ...... :-)

..as I also said,it's no big deal....unless you are trying to locate a (donor) action some decades later....and I mentioned the posssible confusion about Sako's shortest action....Hornet,222,VIxen,A!....probably not all the same (esp Hornet?)

I sold James at yeager sporting a shot out one of these a while back if you are looking for a project.

Just a thought.

Dorg,thanks,but which one....? :-)

"That's the rub",as Shakespeare should have added right after "A Rose by any other name,would smell as sweet"...

He kept it for Hamlet ("To dream or not to dream-that's the rub") where it is admitedly more life relevant important,except to shooters,perhaps. Sako US (ultra small) action has kept me awake a fair bit over the years! The ideal donor may exist nonetheless.....dream on !

g

Just a couple of words of warning, I had a 6.5x55 built on a Sako 75 IV action last year - I wanted a varmint and they are pretty hard to find. My donor came as a 257 roberts, but I expect it started life as a 25-06. The bolt face needed to be opened up a fraction, and the extractor took a small amount of fiddling to get it to work reliably with my Lapua brass. It is currently sitting in a modified III action varmint stock, it will probably end up in an A5 eventually.

Archived