Which scope

6.5 shooter

Im thinking of going for a higher magnification scope, (above 25x). I want something with quality glass, with a good fine reticle, possibly a small centre dot and im leaning toward the FFP variant.

I have narrowed it down to two manufacturers but I wantto hear other peoples opinions.

I am torn between IOR and March.

Anyone offer any advice on these two scope brands with models and reticle choice? I cant see above 50x mag being any benefit, I see march make an 80x mag scope but I would guess there is a sensible useable limit in good conditions?

Thanks

I can't speak of the IOR as I never even handled one let alone looked through one.

You don't say what You're going to use the scope for?

The Mach 8-80 can be used on 80 power but you will need it to be a bright day, 60 power is probably more realistic, although I only ever use mine on 40 during competitions. On the right day it is possible to spot bullet strikes on a white V bull at 1000 yards as I have done it several times, and it's not uncommon at 800 yards.

As for the reticle I would be looking at the MTR-2 ret, and if it was for field use I would urge you to go for the illuminated model. There's plenty of choice in the March range I'm sure you will find something to suit.

The intended purpose is for a bit of everything really Ian, mostly informal shooting such as steel plate and feather or fur.

Would you go FFP or SFP?

I have always gone for SFP as I have never needed a FFP.

I know March do a very nice 5-40 FFP or if you want a SFP my choice would be the 5-50 illuminated.

I have the SFP 5-50 illuminated march with mtr-2 reticle , simply put I think it's fantastic .

I think it is a master of all trades, it's used for shooting everything and is one of the best scopes to stick tubed night vision on for chasing foxes about at night.

5-40 March is a rather nice tool, do not be put off by the FFP, with the floating dot in the ret (which covers less than 2" @ 1000 yards) you can be very precise.

Also the options of mil or moa ret and matching turret in 1/4 or 1/8moa or .1/.05 mil 'clicks you can have what you want. Turrets are not the silly sticky-outy variety that seem to be the US market influenced these days.

I went from a 5-25 S&B to this scope and did not feel 'let down' in any way.

Brgds

Terry

I am partial to March. Have a couple of fx 5-40x56 scopes with FML-1 reticule. The floating center dot is head and shoulders better for me than say a S&B P4F reticule or the mil4 reticule in my kahles 624i. I had several pm2 scopes 5-25x and 12-50 before the March scopes, I don't see any downside to the March scopes other than possibly a pm 2 type double turn turret, that said the clicks on the pm2 although district and auditable were too close together for me for precise quick adjustment - by that I mean try dialing in one click and half the time you overdial by a click or two.

You will see 30cm gongs at 1000yds with a 32x56 sightron. If you feel the need to go with March then it's obviously your choice. As your mainly shooting in what I can only presume decent days light and weather wise a Sightron will serve you're needs.

IOR glass is extremely good.

I've looked through most of the top end scopes as members in my club has them.march included.lots of top end scopes to see on the 50 cal (fcsa) shoots.i am not really sure how you would choose between most of them.ive had the rifles lined up and got down and looked through.i still prefered my mk4.maybe it suited my eyesight better.you can probaly spend way more than you need to but that's down to individuals budget.the price of it won't make you shoot better.

I've looked through most of the top end scopes as members in my club has them.march included.lots of top end scopes to see on the 50 cal (fcsa) shoots.i am not really sure how you would choose between most of them.ive had the rifles lined up and got down and looked through.i still prefered my mk4.maybe it suited my eyesight better.you can probaly spend way more than you need to but that's down to individuals budget.the price of it won't make you shoot better.

Thanks for youre thoughts but if we all went for the same scope we would be boring.

I have had a range of most other scopes and want to try something new.

All the optics snobs have replied to this thread.

Do you always have to be so off OP or negative - it really does become very wearing at times?

As the 'OP' points out, he asked about IOR & March, those of us who have 'chosen' March have offered their opinions.

If you cannot understand this then please refrain form 'chipping in', or at least 'chipping in' negatively?

Thanks Terry

Sorry guys i too am guilty of mentioning another make if scope that was not asked about.

Firing squad I suppose --- Boxing day morning 06.00 hundred hours.

Which side of the wall would you like to stand? :)

You did at least mention the quality of IOR glass.

A well designed ffp reticule does not work like that. Eg the March fml-1 reticule has a fine center dot (covers about 2" a 1k yard) and is very usable at 40x to shoot small targets.

At 5x the side subtension bars close in, the reticule looks somewhat similar to a traditional duplex. The low mag is handy where max fov is needed and low mag is a help - have used this to shoot from moving vehicles and a helicopter.

From 8x the Mil scale becomes usable and balances fov and a usable accurate reticule. I use that for movimg targets where you need accurate hold-offs or night shooting.

If you are not doing Prs type shooting then ffp can be hard to appreciate but the reticules are designed to work throughout the mag range. Interesting that Nightforce have joined the band-wagon of higish mag ffp scopes with the 7-35x56 F1 ATACR.

I haven't seen the March options, but I had the Kahles FFP MOAK reticle which has a smallish floating centre dot which I can only just about see on min mag. At max mag I found the dot a little too big for precise aiming. A buddy has the IOR Recon FFP which has a larger floating central dot that is very useable at minimum mag, but I find it way too big at max mag.

So far I have found FFP to be a compromise that doesn't suit my type of shooting.

Archived