New gun wanted !

Nick 53

Hi all looking to buy 12 gauge pump action shot gun . None FAC. Does anyone know if mossburg 500 or 590 ? Would be suitable.

I intend to use for Canada geese, pest control and looking into practical shotgunning at Diggle range in the new year.

What do you think , ?

Cheers.

Dont know much about the mossberg,,,,,,,, but what about a winchester sxp?

Good, reliable, bargin of a price!!

Also when you shoot if you only clasp the forend the recoil sends it backwards so you only need to cycle forwards to load and shoot.

very fast once you get used to it.

Hi Nick

Mossbergs are pretty good there was one for sale on UKV recently that looked like a bargain for sale in Sussex if it must be a pump my first choice would be an older Remington 870 wingmaster I don't know how much experiance you have got in wildfowling but my pigeon shooting has always been done with semi it is a lot easier and you can pick up a remington 1100 or 1187 very cheaply apart from the odd o ring very cheap to use and built like a tank.

Good luck Paul

Canada-or any- geese are big birds;even at sensible range,a 3 inch mag 12 g is not overgun.

"Pest' shooting is fine for a standard 12g.

'Practical shotgunning' seems to be rather large near static targets (biscuit tins) at rather close range (10 yards),and a standard 12g is ...well,standard. Pumps seem popular.It seems the 'skill' may be in speed reloading of the large capacity magazines,rather than shooting per se,as in eg the one/two shot 'Skeet' sense at fast moving clays.If so,they move into a different category (FAC,not SGC). I don't think one action type shoots easier/better in these applications than another-it's about 'practicalities"and price/image.

The Mossberg models are usually rugged,which suits these applications,and much cheaper than some other makes.

As you note,Diggle offers 'practical' shotgun,so why not ask the practicioners there?

Some model pumps do take heavy 3 inch geese/magnum loads,yet also the light recoil 'practical' loads.But the extended magazine capacity issue may compromise all that.

gbal

Appreciate all the feed back on my article, in the new year will look into pro and cons of shotgun mentioned and will take a trip up to Diggle on there next practical comp.

Cheers Nick.

Archived