Scope recommendations for a .338 lap mag.

Dac9976

Hi all

I want to get some input on what people are using on there .338s.

Been looking at S&B as my primary choice but I'm torn between 5-25 and 12-50..

Will 25 mag be enough, is 50 to much?

FFP or SFP?

Definitely has to be M rad.

Anyone's thoughts on this subject will be much appreciated.

Cheers

Danny.

I have both scopes with the 5-25 on my 338 which has been plenty to get to 1400 yards to date but obviously looking for further out.

The 50 power like most scopes dims and eye position gets more critical at max mag....and I think it probably offers less mechanical elevation....but have not checked that so don't quote me.

I would pay primary attention to getting your rail at the right moa angle to maximise your UP elevation range from the scope which should be set at extreme DOWN as per the description in the manual to start with.

If you run out of mechanical elevation then a FFP scope is going to make reticle holdover easier vs a 2FP where (as I guess you already know) you have to be sure at which mag power the reticle reads true.

Hi Danny

It all depends on how far you want to shoot' PM ii's are lovely but don't have much ajustment my rifle and scope are using the reticle for hold over past 1450m and my scope has 5 MOA ajustment more than the scmidt and built in 30 MOA on the rail, some Nightforce models have 100 MOA ajustments and the new 40mm tube IOR's have 120 and Sightrons and some Leupold mk 4's I have found the Sightrons to be quite fussy on eye position after the recoil of a .338 to to get your sight picture back to see your fall Of Shot try and have a look through a few scope if your on a shoot day most people will let you have a look.

Good luck Paul

A friend had a S&B 12-50 x 56 and after the third time sending it back for repair he got rid

March is another option but eye relief can be a little critticle on them but the same can be said for most high mag scopes

Another consideration may be the nightforce comp scope 15-45x 56 but cannot recall available elevation adjustment at the moment

Whatever scope you go with get a minimum 20moa rail or spur mount to help

Duey

Got an I.O.R Crusader on my .338. Great glass, lots of elevation, built like a tank, and good value for money. I took my PM 2 of the rifle and swapped it for the I.O.R. Haven't regretted it for a minute.

Regards.

Mark 4 16x40mm if you could find one or an ATACR , Both would need 60 moa plus rails to max their elevations out but depends on how far your intending to shoot ? If your only running out to 1400 yards then most scopes plus suitable rail would be fine . Imho

OSOK

Archived