Vintage .22lr Ammo

Is anyone familiar with the older ammo?

I have a couple of boxes of .22lr ammo given to me.

I noticed on the boxes is a stamp on them with what looks like a date. Which dates to the late 70s!

Another stamp on the box says 'practice only' Mark 2 ammo and then the (what looks like the date)

13 4 79 in quite a bold stamp.

Is old ammo worth anything? Even 70s ammo. In original untouched and sealed packaging.

Would you still shoot the 'old Ammo?'

Is old ammo good? Worse or any better than modern Ammo .22lr?

Any help would be good.

Been researching and found this.

If you scroll down you will see the same box in the Mark 2 part as the boxes I have.

https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/-22-inch-rimfire

Any thoughts?.?

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like practise ammo for cadets or similar. Almost certainly solid points, velocity around 1085 fps from memory, so 'high velocity'.

It should still shoot but being solid point is not ideal for vermin work. You could ask Holts or one of the other auction houses if it has any value but be aware of their commissions. I would think value would be minimal so would use it or try to.

A

I tested the ammo yesterday at the range. Wow. At 50 yards they were through the same hole. 3/4inch at 100 yards. Gob smacked to say the least. I am going to keep them to one side incase I decide to do any competition shooting! These are by far the most accurate .22lr I have shot through my rifle.

velocity around 1085 fps from memory, so 'high velocity'.

The normal range for Eley subsonics is 1055-1085 fps, so while that would be on the upper limit of current production it's still "standard" velocity. RWS claim a uniform 333 m/s (sometimes they'll own up to 334 m/s) apart from R100 which is approximately 345 m/s.

"High" velocity would be something like CCI Mini-Mag/Blazer (1235 fps), or Remington Thunderbolt (1255 fps).

Archived