Opinions on the 17 Hornet

Sherlock

Hi Guys.

I have recently applied for a 17 Hornet. I am a big fan of the 17 CF's and wanted something as a 250 yrds gun for vermin and maybe the odd fox.

After owning several 17 rem rifles , I am guessing that the 17 Hornet will moderate very well , as it uses almost half the amount of powder.

I did have a few shots of a friends 17 H when it first came out , but this was a savage in a nasty plastic stock... I just didn't like that particular rifle and accuracy wasn't very good either.

I am guessing that the issues were more to do with the Savage rifle , than the calibre itself. I am thinking of a CZ.

I am really interested to hear the opinions from owners (or regular users) of the 17 Hornet - especially regarding accuracy. effective range - suitability for fox ect - in fact anything.

ATB

S

I love mine,

Mines set up with a 6.5 photon xt for night use, I regularly take rabbits with it at 250 yards.

For fox, I would stick to much closer ranges.

Birds, no problem !

Accuracy, is good, but develop a good round as the factory ammo is way too expensive.

I use 20gr vmax with 10.8 gr of IMR 4227, 1.765 COL and get a consistent 3630 fps

Warning !!! --------- don't use my load data without the usual building up to & development with your own rifle & components ------

I love mine,

Mines set up with a 6.5 photon xt for night use, I regularly take rabbits with it at 250 yards.

For fox, I would stick to much closer ranges.

Birds, no problem !

Accuracy, is good, but develop a good round as the factory ammo is way too expensive.

I use 20gr vmax with 10.8 gr of IMR 4227, 1.765 COL and get a consistent 3630 fps

Warning !!! --------- don't use my load data without the usual building up to & development with your own rifle & components ------

Im so glad i never parted with my .17 hornet , Im using 25grn vmax with 8.9grn Lilgun and a OAL of 1.725, I have a few 20grn vmax but was put of with the factory loads .

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Hornet. The time has come to pass it on to a new home, but that's purely through the love of swapping calibres.

Effective range... Well bunnies at 300 are no bother at all. Shot placement on foxes is more critical than with the bigger centrefires but it works just fine to 200. Cost to shoot is minimal.

I had a go with a Savage when the round was first being advertised. I used one of the first rifles in the country at a Hornady/Edgar Bros open day and came to the same conclusion as you - the Savage isn't the best. So I built a CZ sporter on an old .22 Hornet action with a Walther barrel. Fantastic... can't fault it. I emptied a whole mag into a group of bunnies a while back and head shot 5/5 at around 300 yards. It doesn't heat up fast and is very mild to use. I can hide my 5 shot groups under a 5p piece - with factory ammo!

Oddly, I'm changing to a .17 Rem. Not sure why, I've just never had one. The silly thing is I haven't picked it up yet and I'm already looking at .20 Practical and 6x45 to go onto that same action.... I just can't help myself!

Get one. You won't regret it. If you want a second hand CZ, PM me

• 2 months later...

I love my Hornet. The time has come to pass it on to a new home, but that's purely through the love of swapping calibres.

Effective range... Well bunnies at 300 are no bother at all. Shot placement on foxes is more critical than with the bigger centrefires but it works just fine to 200. Cost to shoot is minimal.

I had a go with a Savage when the round was first being advertised. I used one of the first rifles in the country at a Hornady/Edgar Bros open day and came to the same conclusion as you - the Savage isn't the best. So I built a CZ sporter on an old .22 Hornet action with a Walther barrel. Fantastic... can't fault it. I emptied a whole mag into a group of bunnies a while back and head shot 5/5 at around 300 yards. It doesn't heat up fast and is very mild to use. I can hide my 5 shot groups under a 5p piece - with factory ammo!

Oddly, I'm changing to a .17 Rem. Not sure why, I've just never had one. The silly thing is I haven't picked it up yet and I'm already looking at .20 Practical and 6x45 to go onto that same action.... I just can't help myself!

5 bunnys @300 and headshot is very good going , i heard all about it from activeIII the tall man ;)

I bought a CZ527 in 17AH from NJC some 6 or 7 years ago, he does look after his guns.

Personal;y I dont feel 17 Hornet is a fox round of choice, sub 100 yards with a side on chest shot OK but using 20gr Vmax I have lost front on foxes well hit. I like them to go down without a twitch so a bigger caliber I prefer. However if its what you have in your hand when he appears the as long as you get a side on shot you should be OK. Not tried 25s yet, 20s do such a number on feathered stuff I have not felt the need,

For crows etc ( got no rabbits any more ) then its ideal out to a shade over 200 yards, moderates nicely, I use a small scope on mine and aim off when needed.

A

A

Archived