Which .308 - please vote

David Hancock

Bergara B14 Synthetic - £650

Tikka T3X - £1000

Sako Roughtech Range £1350 - 24inch barrel

Browning X Bolt Stainless fluted £849

Mauser M12 Impact £1150

Consideration - Out of the box accuracy with no additional fettling. DM, smooth bolt, weight - I like a heavy rifle

Purpose - Deer / stalking rifle

Blaser straightpull / Browning Maral / etc outside this budget / purpose as are more running boar.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forget Bergara and Browning X-Bolt, the Sako and Mauser are good but offer fewer options - I'd say Tikka from your list however ... ... ...

There are also two more very good options: The excellent Haenel Jäger 10 range which offers various options at very competetive prices; I'd also look at the Sauer 100 & 101 which are also very good indeed.

Had a look at the Sako roughtech at Coombe Farm. I really liked the feel of it the extra barrel length would be a bonus also. If your not planning on tinkering with it get the Sako as they are a lot nicer out of the box and would appeal to you if you like a solid rifle, the tikkas are great but have crap stocks. Mauser M12 would be good also the actions have a very good reputation.

Ben

Chaps, interesting. I appreciate there is no perfect answer to this.

I know the one I'm leaning towards, but then I look at the Tikka CTR, or a classic Sako 75 and have a rebarrel

Rob - the Sauer 101 is an interesting option. There is 1 (one) Haenel on Guntrader.

Don't, go straight to a Brock & Norris Contractor. Maybe not your cup of tea but more accurate than any of them, avoids shitty plastic/no bedding stocks and comes in at the same £ number and with all metal parts. Huge improvement on my Sako 75 and it costs less.

If you don't like that idea, buy the tikka throw away the stock and drop it in a Berserk.

David, I'd look for a used Sako 75,most that have been used for stalking won't need a rebarrel (308-good for 3000 rounds eg).Check with bore sight and test fire.There is no reason for most to be any less accurate than most other new rifles-anyhow it's consistent first cold barrel shot that matters,not five shots in a calibre size group (much as I like such precision-it will never be needed in stalking).

75s don't need anything replaced-but of course,it has to be to your liking-only you can judge that.

£saved might well be half new costs or more-squander on better scope if you must.(or keep for rebarrel -if you must.

(I tend to agree that a Sako won't shoot significantly better (group size-see above) than a Tikka,but then it follows that a Tikka won't shoot better than a Sako-both -and others- will be effectively indistinguishable at stalking distances).I'd want to have some confidence first (only) shot will be OK-probably will be,but an individual rifle thing-you can often check used,but notnew.

Barrel length is very secondary-and can be shortened if prefered (you have the £).You will be carrying the rifle a lot more than shooting it,though the shot matters.

Plenty choice,think carefully about what matters to you.

gbal

Considered for few months on a Sako 'Roughtech'. The thing that put me off was that dreadful stock; to me it is extremely similar to the REM 700 SPS - rubbish and typify's it's name 'ROUGH' ....Did a side-by-comparison at SGC and wayyyyy tooooo much the same ..IMO it's no-where near as comfortable and user-friendly as the better configured (and new) T3x stock; simply offers better options

The Browning comes as bedded, doesn't it?..Something else to think about

Might we be permitted to throw in a curveball from left field ? Henry Krank are currently selling off their remaining stock of .308 Zoli rifles at good prices, e.g. circa £600 to £700 depending upon stock and engraving. They are based upon the Husqvarna 1900 action and well made. Ideal for stalking...

Might we be permitted to throw in a curveball from left field ? Henry Krank are currently selling off their remaining stock of .308 Zoli rifles at good prices, e.g. circa £600 to £700 depending upon stock and engraving. They are based upon the Husqvarna 1900 action and well made. Ideal for stalking...

I`m sure they would do the job but I`d feel I`d bought second best if it wasn't Finnish :)

I have to say that the Mauser M12 that I had a go with was truly excellent. It shot a wide variety of factory loads very well (1/2 inch at 100) and the action was slick as you like. However the only reason to buy one over a Tikka in my opinion is if you would like something different.

ATB

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

OK Swaro, I'll qualify "Remington never" as being somewhat harsh. I should have said personally never again, and never to pay good money for a "semi-custom", had a bolt which made a Zetor tractor gearbox seem well engineered and the guaranteed MOA claim was actually over 5 inches.

I really got mugged over on that purchase.

To be honest, as much as the new Tikka T3x's are improved, the stocks are frankly really poorly finished. The Browning looks and feels terrific, is £250 cheaper but I love the silk bolt on the M12.

Ive shot alongside off the peg remmys at 1000yds with aics stocks on them.looked pretty damn good to me.Stock wise that beserk stock made by howa is probaly the best looking off the peg stock I've seen and half the price of others.i will be getting one for my 6.5x47 so its easier to carry/stalk with than the aics stock it wears.tikka stocks are butt ugly.i couldn't agree more.

Archived