260rem

thescudd

With the 260 Rem you have the advantage of a short action.

Good quality new brass is easily available for it and a great range of 6.5mm bullet types and weights.

You do have to home load for the 260 Rem as factory loads are as rare and hen's teeth and woefully costly.

It's a fine round and my preferred stalking calibre.

I've been stalking with 260 Rems since '99. I've shot all six UK deer species with the 260 Rem. My only comment would be to use a quality bullet if pursuing sika on a regular basis.

I have 2 x 260 Rem at present. Factory ammo is dear and I'll likely rebarrel one to .308 Win sometime in the future.

Regards JCS

I have had a 260 for approx 7 years. On my second a semi custom Cooper at the minute. I bought a box of factory ammo a couple of years ago and my guilty conscience has only let me fire a coupleof rounds of them ! I have accounted for about a dozen deer with the calibre fallow,roe and muntjac and it has dropped them all on the spot pretty much.

I have also shot some decent groups with the calibre out to 1100 yds.

A very good calibre IMHO

It has good parentage.

22-243 Middlestead

243W

260R

308W

358W

Quite an impressive family-versatile indeed.

There isn't a 22rf replacement,but other than that,there isn't a lot in N America or Europe that could not be hunted,nor targets shot,with rifles in these chamberings,and any action.

Note,I'm not saying the absolute ,incontestable best on every criterion including personal whim,but I'd feel fairly well equipped with such a battery (the 'short 308' BR series are very closely related too,but don't add that much,save maybe for the precision targeteer.

(OK,the professional guide best have something much heavier for a few species,just in case the really big Kodiaks have not read this.With that-the classic African Safari Insurance policy-you can pretty well cover the world.)

gbal

I run a 260rem from before they were fashionable , it's a great calibre in my opinion , the only drawback is lack of decent factory ammo and for this reason and this reason alone I have re-barrelled in 6.5 creedmoor , although if you reload the 260 is no different to the creedmoor.

the only reason I re-barrelled was because I shot out my 260 barrel.

I've been stalking with 260 Rems since '99. I've shot all six UK deer species with the 260 Rem. My only comment would be to use a quality bullet if pursuing sika on a regular basis.

I have 2 x 260 Rem at present. Factory ammo is dear and I'll likely rebarrel one to .308 Win sometime in the future.

Regards JCS

what head would you recommend i shoot mainly sika fallow and the odd red. thanks

It has good parentage.

22-243 Middlestead

243W

260W

308W

358W

Quite an impressive family-versatile indeed.

There isn't a 22rf replacement,but other than that,there isn't a lot in N America or Europe that could not be hunted,nor targets shot,with rifles in these chamberings,and any action.

Note,I'm not saying the absolute ,incontestable best on every criterion including personal whim,but I'd feel fairly well equipped with such a battery (the 'short 308' BR series are very closely related too,but don't add that much,save maybe for the precision targeteer.

(OK,the professional guide best have something much heavier for a few species,just in case the really big Kodiaks have not read this.With that-the classic African Safari Insurance policy-you can pretty well cover the world.)

gbal

Shouldn't that be '260R'?

Guesty,of course it should-my senior moment,and just read it writ several times....

back of brain might have been in among the cobwebs for the 243 which Warren Page run past R,but no interest,so W picked it up,hence the later 244R attempt to catch up...but I was about 12 then...unless I've forgotten that too.....

what is surprising is how long it took for the 6-08 to be legitimised (2001-and not very well promoted by...err..R..either) :-)

g

what head would you recommend i shoot mainly sika fallow and the odd red. thanks

Lot of nonsense talked about Sika. I have shot them with Geco ammo which had a very frangible head and my reloads are Gamekings, so a pretty wide range. Both absolutely anchor them, repeatedly. To be clear it is a 308 and I am shooting 165 gr, so in a 260 I would go heavy for calibre.

Bulet placement is more important -> put it in the right place.

I found 243 brass makes for doughnuts, 7-08 brass is pretty un-fussy, if you can find once fired stuff it works just fine. 308 can need neck turning, but I've found Lapua 308 Palma brass necks down nicely, without the need for turning, without the need for turning. For my particular chamber.

Which ever route you choose, measure, measure and measure again.

Ofcourse, 260rem brass isn't exactly hard to come by.....you can buy it ;)

Archived