Best s/auto .22LR

Tikka4Sika

So what do you guys consider the best s/auto .22LR for pest control ?, a friend has asked, they already have a B/A , I`m not a fan of the 10/22 as there seems to be as many bad ones as good ones out there, chances are he will be buying a new one.

Thanks

criteria is:

• A sporting non military style rifle ,
  • Wooden / laminate stock,
  • Accuracy is very important ,
  • Must be an off the shelf rifle

There was a thread started a day or so ago by one of the top CSR shooters comparing a Bradley Arms .22 (with a Sassen barrel) to a Rimfire Magic 10/22. The BAR 22 was outstanding . I think all the shots were in the 10 ring, target rifle like, so the 10/22 is certainly not the best semi for accuracy (in this test). But of course, the Bar doesn't fulfill your need for non-military look....

Anschutz 525

Remington 597

More if used models are considered. (Winchester,H&K...etc)

Dismissing all Ruger 10/22s will limit choice-they can be among the best-especially the accurised/target models. You don't rate-but your friend might.

Don't expect good b/a type accuracy beyond 60y,not that b/a accuracy is always impressive at distance.

See the thread on this forum on 22rf accuracy at 100y.....a few rifles manage 1moa,and some don't.

How far does he expect to shoot 'pests' and what pests-acceptable accuracy is relative

gbal

If you can find one the Thompson Benchmark R55 feels like a rifles, all steel, nice stock and fits your spec.

Re. the 10/22, yup nice rifles (eventually) but been done to death.

The Walther item based on the GSP pistol is also very nice but expensive and not sure if they make them anymore but blisteringly accurate?

The laminate version of the Anschutz RX22 - but a bit 'military'

T

The Mauser 105 was really the Voere 2005,bought out by Mauser around 1986 as a quick entry into 22rf market. A simple design,tho firing from an open bolt (?) isn't for everyone.As on all older rifles,make sure the magazine is included.

The Walther GSP carbine,as Terry says,was both accurate and expensive.I handled one of the few imports at Bisley in the late 80s,but it was way too heavy for a pest rifle,way over £1000,and 5 shot mag-with a fiddly safety.Out of production-I often wish I had bought it now-but it still does not fit my idea of a pest rifle for the same reasons as then.

I did buy a Hechler and Koch-very well made,and light enough. Not many around.

I don't recall missing because I was using the 10/22 either-the delux was still only 1/6 the price of the GSP.

Ammo is very variable in any 22rf,and has to be in the 'accuracy equation'. Avoid cheap usually.

Marlin has 10/22 looks-ish

Mossberg budget value

Weatherby-pricey

Browning auto-a classic,petite,good ones are fine

All last four are unlikely to be found new.There are more.

You-rather friend-either like'em or not-it's a very subjective thing (as is paying the price!)

gbal

. A simple design,tho firing from an open bolt (?) isn't for everyone.As on all older rifles,make sure the magazine is included.

Is there a problem with the 105 being an blow-back design?...wasn't for me. Whatever it was fed, it eat reliably - no problems whatsoever

I have an old Voere for pest control - I've had it for more than 40 years and it's still going strong. I used it for a gallery comp at Bisley just a couple of days ago and whipped plenty of the racing 10/22's.

It may not be very "cool" with it's poor trigger and long barrel but it very rarely misses a beat and has an excellent barrel. Also has the facility to lock the bolt and use it as a bolt action. I recently saw one for sale for £35.

Anschutz 525

Remington 597

More if used models are considered. (Winchester,H&K...etc)

Dismissing all Ruger 10/22s will limit choice-they can be among the best-especially the accurised/target models. You don't rate-but your friend might.

Don't expect good b/a type accuracy beyond 60y,not that b/a accuracy is always impressive at distance.

See the thread on this forum on 22rf accuracy at 100y.....a few rifles manage 1moa,and some don't.

How far does he expect to shot 'pests' which are...

Thanks , I guess they will be shooting around 60 -80 yards , I understand the Anschutz S/A was not made in them but by an Italian manufacturer ?

I think all 22 rf semi autos are blow back designs -

not really enough powder in the cartridge to make a gas operated design work ?

Cheers

Bruce

Yes,all simple blow back,Bruce.

Anschutz didn't have anschutz quality-so probably made on external contract.

40 years iswell run in for 22rf-plenty BSA Martinis eg will have huge round count and older-60 plus.

OK,60 yards is starting to stretch 22rf s/a for 95% hits under good condition-rabbits,though not rat heads.

Conversion to b/a is irelevant for semi auto use-as you note,rigger was not greatt,and slamming an open bolt etc isn't likely to be conducive to accuracy-one reason it's a rarity.Rain,dirt ingress? Robust it may well be.

There are hundreds of older 22rfs still shooting-if looked ater,they can be ok-I'm not saying a Rem Nylon 66 is what you should buy-it's not wood stock for a start :-)

I'd add the Browning auto-an elegnt design...actually still made by Miroku-good quality,durable,light.Barrel too long.

Criteria emphasised accuracy-no data on this so far. Isbudget for rifle over £1000? £500?; £200; or less?

Point was/is there are plenty choices-tho' not many in production.. especially on UK shelf....could the 10/22 be a tough rifle to beat?

gbal

Yes,all simple blow back,Bruce.

Anschutz didn't have anschutz quality-so probably made on external contract.

40 years iswell run in for 22rf-plenty BSA Martinis eg will have huge round count and older-60 plus.

OK,60 yards is starting to stretch 22rf s/a for 95% hits under good condition-rabbits,though not rat heads.

Conversion to b/a is irelevant for semi auto use-as you note,rigger was not greatt,and slamming an open bolt etc isn't likely to be conducive to accuracy-one reason it's a rarity.Rain,dirt ingress? Robust it may well be.

There are hundreds of older 22rfs still shooting-if looked ater,they can be ok-I'm not saying a Rem Nylon 66 is what you should buy-it's not wood stock for a start :-)

I'd add the Browning auto-an elegnt design...actually still made by Miroku-good quality,durable,light.Barrel too long.

Criteria emphasised accuracy-no data on this so far. Isbudget for rifle over £1000? £500?; £200; or less?

Point was/is there are plenty choices-tho' not many in production.. especially on UK shelf....could the 10/22 be a tough rifle to beat?

gbal

Im guessing budget will be up to £600 sans scope and mod , very little choice for s/autos as youve mentioned , I`m thinking CZ512 ....

Dig up a Brno 581. Mine is insanely accurate. I also have a few stock Rugers (Deluxe Models) that shoot very well. I don't know why one of these won't shoot sell past 60yds. Mine do. I also have one full blown custom with a 1-18" twist. Superb.

Of all the above, only the custom Ruger has what I would say approaches a Bolt Action grade trigger pull; and trigger pull is important. I'd take a rifle with a great trigger and so-so accuracy over one that was a tack driver with a poor trigger.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

The Mauser 105 was really the Voere 2005,bought out by Mauser around 1986 as a quick entry into 22rf market. A simple design,tho firing from an open bolt (?) isn't for everyone.As on all older rifles,make sure the magazine is included.

The Walther GSP carbine,as Terry says,was both accurate and expensive.I handled one of the few imports at Bisley in the late 80s,but it was way too heavy for a pest rifle,way over £1000,and 5 shot mag-with a fiddly safety.Out of production-I often wish I had bought it now-but it still does not fit my idea of a pest rifle for the same reasons as then.

I did buy a Hechler and Koch-very well made,and light enough. Not many around.

I don't recall missing because I was using the 10/22 either-the delux was still only 1/6 the price of the GSP.

Ammo is very variable in any 22rf,and has to be in the 'accuracy equation'. Avoid cheap usually.

Marlin has 10/22 looks-ish

Mossberg budget value

Weatherby-pricey

Browning auto-a classic,petite,good ones are fine

All last four are unlikely to be found new.There are more.

You-rather friend-either like'em or not-it's a very subjective thing (as is paying the price!)

gbal

I have a walther gsp carbine rifle. I have 10 shot magazines for it. A very effective tool for clearing fields out of rabbits. Accuracy wise it is up there with most bolt actions. My rifle doesn't have a safety on it at all. Very fast action which will cycle pretty much any ammunition you will try through it. You are right about the weight also. It is very heavy for a rimfire. Although it is very similar in weight to my old old weihrauch hw66 jagdmatch. Favourite rounds through it are rws r50 which are a ragged hole at 50yards on a good day. Would I buy another one.... no. I preferred my weihrauch if I'm honest.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive done a few searches and the only "non military" style s/autos available in the UK seem to be the 10/22 and the CZ 512 , anyone had experience of the CZ512 ? http://www.czub.cz/en/produkty/malorazky/semiautomatic/cz-512.html

I have a CZ 512 in .22LR, with the sporter stock it's a nice lightweight field rifle. Very reliable, with semi-auto shotgun looks, will feed just about anything and is compatible with the CZ 452/455 magazines.

With a whopper of a scope, trimmed barrel and a 'tactical kit' fitted (mainly for the adjustable stock and cheekpiece) I cleaned up with it on last year's local LSR league out my way. The main issue with it is the trigger, which is a long 4lbs of inconclusive mush, though it can be significantly improved by polishing the internal sear contact surfaces to a mirror finish. Lots of threads on rimfirecentral on the subject.

Worth a look, they also do a .22WMR which is just as reliable. I've just swapped out a HMR to try it out.

Semi auto 22lr = S & W mp15/22

Bolt action 22lr = anschutz 64 series - I prefer the 1416 or 17 thumb hole stock

Both do not qualify in your asking, other than the fact you asked for the " best & accurate "

A chap at the range I shoot at has a CZ512. It seems very nice and he doesn't have any trouble with it.

My first hand experience is based totally on 10/22's. Standard ones aren't great. I had one built by SYSS and that was much better, but still not perfect especially with subs. I believe the CZ, or at least some of the older guns, had subsonic stamped on the action? Whether it was fitted with a lighter spring or what I don't know, but it could be worth looking into.

If I was to buy another semi auto it would be a CZ

Archived