SnipersHide Cup 2017

TJC

Hi,

It sounds like the 2017 Cup will be held somewhere 'down South' in early November. Is there anyone on here who is likely to be heading over for it or travels over to shoot PRS ? I'm going to try to get to the Hide Cup and the Gap Grind next year.

Thx

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to go to the SHC but costs would be prohibitive. Is there not a call for uK PRS type comps?

It's hard enough getting some of these Bubble Butts to do a 100yd rundown at Bisley, never mind exerting themselves over a CoF in open terrain :lol:

I'd love to go to the SHC but costs would be prohibitive. Is there not a call for uK PRS type comps?

I suspect it will happen at some point because I do think the demand is there, the RBL match is indicative of that. I'm the meantime, it's an expensive trip as you say but nobody ever said this sport is cheap

Certainly agree about the level of interest. As a first time RBL shooter this year, I thought it was fantastic competition in a friendly yet competitive environment but a year is along time to wait to the next one. Surely this kind of comp is something someone like Orion or WMS Training should jump on?

Certainly agree about the level of interest. As a first time RBL shooter this year, I thought it was fantastic competition in a friendly yet competitive environment but a year is along time to wait to the next one. Surely this kind of comp is something someone like Orion or WMS Training should jump on?

You would think so with all the bolt action competition and stalking shooters we have. Canada just had their first match, Australia have their version and so do Norway and Italy. I don't think we'd be short of interest.

Agree with that, follow the US prs/tactical style matches on you tube with interest. The leval of skill in using thier equipment and reading the environment these guys have is quite something. As stated the costs in traveling and time spent practising probably makes it pretty hard for most people to partake (especially if one has to look after bloody pheasants 6 months of the year!) But it would be something I would love to try on an informal basis.

The 'RBL' match is not hugely different to what we do in the monthly CSR matches at Bisley, or Diggle even come to that, so the opportunities are already there.

The fact is shooting in a competitive environment compared to just mindlessly shooting for no particular reason is always more enjoyable.

We used to try and get people on here to come along, but in the end it was so fruitless that we stopped bothering

Fact: CSR shooters generally take the top places in RBL type events, so it is good practise...but it is too hard to convince

Some mornings when we start our matches at Bisley you can see people already ensconsed back at 600, and they will be there all morning....shooting prone at a big ol' bullseye, without too much challenge. I swear I'd go mad if that was all shooting offered.

As for those American matches, well we just don't have the availability of land here in Blighty

WMS and Orion may have the facilities, but it would take some planning and those places ain't cheap.

The quarry shoot was supposedly pretty good, but the practical shotgunners stuffed that one up

Tiffs place is good, so there is an option, although you need certain conditions to shoot there

FFAs are too restrictive, so that leaves gallery ranges, but not many here will put in the effort to organise something, but we have the RBL and CSR and everyone raves about the RBL, but as said it's not really different to CSR.....but all y'all won't take part, unlike the 112 who did last weekend, so you're the ones missing out

So that really leaves one other option---if you want matches like this, go and organise one

We do, it isn't hard :)

+1 on all that Mark.

However, we are going to have an RBL type shoot, the day before the PR Nationals next year at Diggle. [sept]

I think ideas are going to be thrashed out this weekend, as its our end of season " Do".

The RBL CoF is very similar to some CSR practices with subtle differences using generally smaller target sizes and allowing the use of rests other than rifle attached bipods for some stages. So similar to CSR but different and no running.

The RBL CoF is very similar to some CSR practices with subtle differences using generally smaller target sizes and allowing the use of rests other than rifle attached bipods for some stages. So similar to CSR but different and no running.

That's why I said it was not dissimilar <_<

I've had an idea how to attract more UKVers, lets change the name of the rest of the league to the RBL Precision/Sharpshooting league and that'll fool 'em :lol:

You never know bradders, you may just have convinced someone to attend..... I assume that each match can be a stand alone competition - if you can only attend the odd one of two?

It'd be really interesting to know the outcome of your discussions baldie...

TJC

As much as I'd like to shoot some of the US comps again time is normally against me these days. They are very good fun and challenging. I beleive in talking with friends who shoot some of the PRS matches the 'gaming' has been taken out now. I take it you have shot these comps before so know all the loops etc.?

As to the cost - no more than doing a ski holiday but the £/$ rate does not help when heading West.

As others Indicated things like CSR (thank you Mark for point that out, did not know you shot it? ;) ) and the RBL are good comps and about as much as you can do on a gallery range.

Other options such as the Czech shoots are also pretty good. But back here you have Round House 'challenges' (Tiff's place) and the occasional more private affairs at WMS etc. The Quarry was pretty interesting but messed up by a different branch of the sport unfortunately.

Never shot at Diggle so no comment on the comps held there.

T

Prompted me to look this up. Blimey, 5 years ago: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/11084-ukv-comp-at-wms-thanks/?hl=wales

Also, Tiff on here has run a few excellent comps on open ground down in Cornwall.

Setting up the WMS one (when it was still on the Orion site) was a pretty thankless task. For a day that we recced, designed and ran, less for unlocking the gates, the WMS pricing structure simply wanted to separate us from our cash and offered no incentives to get 20 people along rather than 3.

Tiff's days, are excellent. Unlike the N Wales option, he's a tigger on-site who's burstingly keen to deliver a good competition.

the MQC was great

tiffs roundhouse challenge is extremely well run and his commitment is humbling he just needs the support of us lazy shooters , we need to turn up rain or shine if we say we will ! (and you get to drink beer with mates)

the RBL is well run and possibly the most fun you can have on a gallery range with your clothes on (CSR looks fun to but I've not tried it yet)

to sum up , the shoots are there and with some support they could morph into something awesome !

WMS is frankly too commercial and overpriced for this sort of event which is sad because the facility is great , plus you'd have to drive past orion to get there which seems foolish ?

maybe orion could be approached? (tip , take the full entrance fee up front so people get of their arses even if it's raining!)

the MQC was great

tiffs roundhouse challenge is extremely well run and his commitment is humbling he just needs the support of us lazy shooters , we need to turn up rain or shine if we say we will ! (and you get to drink beer with mates)

the RBL is well run and possibly the most fun you can have on a gallery range with your clothes on (CSR looks fun to but I've not tried it yet)

to sum up , the shoots are there and with some support they could morph into something awesome !

WMS is frankly too commercial and overpriced for this sort of event which is sad because the facility is great , plus you'd have to drive past orion to get there which seems foolish ?

maybe orion could be approached? (tip , take the full entrance fee up front so people get of their arses even if it's raining!)

Well said that man!! I'd rather pay 100 quid entrance fee up front than have to fly to the states to take part in a similar comp

Well said that man!! I'd rather pay 100 quid entrance fee up front than have to fly to the states to take part in a similar comp

Then grab the bull by the horns and pick up the phone and call John O'Brien....coz if you wait for other to do so it'll never happen

Then grab the bull by the horns and pick up the phone and call John O'Brien....coz if you wait for other to do so it'll never happen

I once organised a skill at arms comp for my club , everyone wanted it and were mad keen right up until they had to get off their arse and turn up and shoot it !

I think a lot of it is people make claims of 1/2 moa all day long but then when they get the chance to be called on it and prove it they bottle it.......

and just for the record I'm a solid moa shooter but rarely manage 1/2moa unless I'm really on my game despite my kit being well up to it.....

+1 on all that Mark.

However, we are going to have an RBL type shoot, the day before the PR Nationals next year at Diggle. [sept]

I think ideas are going to be thrashed out this weekend, as its our end of season " Do".

Never been to Diggle but an RBL type match might be the incentive I need.....

Please keep me posted Baldie.

I spoke to him, in outline a few years back, after the coup. I was hoping to find different thinking yo that of the deposed former el-presidente. I don't remember getting any impression of procative interest in a comp at all. I have to say, given my WMS experience on the same site, with no comp 'incentive' reducing costs for multiple competitors, I'd rather pay £xxx to shoot with a small group of known friends, than pay the same to totally bend myself out of shape to organise everything, generate sufficient people and income to enable a the site owner to buy a small car on the back of my effort. But that's me, and why I haven't organised another in the last 5 years. For reasons I've never fully grasped, comps simply aren't (or certainly, weren't - this was years ago) of interest.

Tiff is the turnkey solution.

I would love to shoot with Tiff but don't have the conditions needed to be able to do so. Hopefully that will change. In the meantime, I go to the US a couple of times a year to train and compete. The facilities are outstanding and the level of instruction is unsurpassed. Some of the complexes have proved hugely generous and trusting to me and that will always make me go back.

Archived