87g vmax powder choice????

Could anyone recommend a good powder to go behind an 87g vmax bullet? I'm new to reloading and any help would be very much appreciated. I'm using a tikka t3x super varmint .243 and I'm wondering if a slower or faster burning powder would be better due to the shorter 20 inch barrel on the tikka. Cheers

Viht N 140 is an excellent 243-308 powder,for all but the heavier bullets (where the N150 applies better).

It's an excellent powder,European and readily available,consistent,not expensive.Vihtavuori have a reasonable on-line reloading guide too. I'm sure other members will endorse it also.

If Carlsberg bought powder,it would probably be Vihtavuori ! :-)

gbal

Hi hope this helps. I did a ladder test the other day with n160. I started at 41g and worked up to 45g. The best was 42.6, so then I tried 20 tho off and 40 tho off. I then did another ladder test from 45g up to 46g max and was happy also with 45.3g .I was using 87 vmax. This was with a sako 75 sporter

30u4yoo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

N160, or 4350 will give you better velocity than n140 with that bullet weight and better case fill to.

N140 is a faster powder so given the same load I would be very surprised if N160 produced more velocity than N140. Certainly in one of mine N150 is about 5% faster than N160 given the same powder load.

Extreme Spreads ( ES) should be lower with N160 due to the full case which is my book is desirable.

A

N140 is a faster powder so given the same load I would be very surprised if N160 produced more velocity than N140. Certainly in one of mine N150 is about 5% faster than N160 given the same powder load.

Extreme Spreads ( ES) should be lower with N160 due to the full case which is my book is desirable.

A

If you look at the viht, manual think you'll find that n160 gives the best velocity with that bullet wieight, don't think equal charge comes into it, unless you can catch primers with your teeth as the pressures will become to great, as said because of N140 being a faster powder

Is not velocity in this cartridge (and most others) secondary to accuracy?

Whatever powder load produces it,a 50-100+ fps faster load will be all but unmeasureable in use,whereas the differnce between a hit and a miss can be very apparent,and rather important.

gbal

In .243cal try Ramshot 'Hunter' (if any dealers still got some supplies left?)

Last I heard Ramshot's Hunter & Tac powders (any more of them?).... are no longer imported due to some restricted chemical?

Once I used Hunter in my .243 with the 87g V-max I didn't need to look for anything else

ATB

Archived