Sako

Don't assume the Sakos will shoot any better than the Tikkas despite the big price difference. They both use -identical- barrels. NZ Hunter has tested very many T3s and Sakos and the Tikkas shoot as well, often better, than the Sakos.

Not that it will affect you but the 85 has a weird action belly and is a pig to custom bed compared to a T3.

Don't assume the Sakos will shoot any better than the Tikkas despite the big price difference. They both use -identical- barrels. NZ Hunter has tested very many T3s and Sakos and the Tikkas shoot as well, often better, than the Sakos.

Not that it will affect you but the 85 has a weird action belly and is a pig to custom bed compared to a T3.

Any rifle builders care to comment on pillar bedding the Sako 85 ?

Got a Sako 75 varmint.

Better built than the Tikka's, nothing is plastic. Shoot very well. However aftermarket options are very limited. You can drop it into a laminate GRS or a McMillan. No bottom metal replacement.

Cost more but do they shoot any better? Doubt it.

So you can buy a Tikka for a lot less than a Sako throw away the $5 stock drop it in a wide range of stocks and chasis. Also have bottom metal options. Buy a Tikka Varmint drop it into a Berserk stock, don't change anything and you have a very good rig for not huge bucks.

If you were after a good rifle and not interested in attaching loads of bells and whistles to it get a Sako, as stated probably doesn't shoot any better than a tikka but the finish and fittings are a lot nicer. Suppose most people that buy a Sako are happy with the way they are which is why there's not a massive demand for aftermarket parts. Rate my 85 Varmint fantastic set trigger and great magazine but then use the Tikka more although I'v spent a lot more than what I paid for it on new stocks, dbm's, bolt nobs, ect.

Ben

as an addition to my post above ...

the only thing I did not like about the 75 Varmint was the stock. Just the plain wood but it did not fit very well. So it shot like a deamon most of the time then I would have a zero shift.

Probably part of my learning curve. I suspect a bit of bedding on the recoil lug would have helped, but limited mileage on a non laminate ?? Hence the search for an aftermarket stock.

Changed it out for a Brock & Norris Contractor i.e semi custom Howa 1500. Less money and much much better piece of kit.

• 2 months later...

I have two sako a quad in 17 hmr and 22 mag and I just bought this week a 85 barvaian carbine in 30-06 , the triggers on the 85 was 2-1/2 pounds and the set wouldn't register, my quad in 17 hmr is a brilliant shooter just over 1/2 ins for 3 shots at 100 yards more than good enough, haven't tested my 85 yet , I'm hoping to buy another sako 85/ a7 or a tikka t 3 , I will say I could have bought a A7and a tikka for the price of my 85 , but it is a beautiful rifle , you live once have what you want, all great rifles best of luck with your choice atvb steve

Well it's a lot closer than you think on price, i bought a Sako 85s .243 stainless varmint laminate with stecher set trigger as standared for £1460 and i love it great rifle, i also bought a T3 supervamint 22.250 but i wanted the set trigger as it was a factory option, so the time we finished it cost me £1395 so it was £65 less than the Sako which as a nice reliable stacked magazine the bolt cycle is a lot smoother than the Tikka , as said they both shoot great which is the important bit. I have them both in GRS varminter stocks which is a great improvment.

I have bedded the stock on the T3, but still scratching my head about the Sako looking to get a new bottom metal plate for the T3 and a decent Mag, so in the end it will cost me more, ah well pays yer money and all that.

One of the things that I personally like about Sako is the action size fitting the cartridge length, no 223's on a 30-06 action. Better magazines, less plastic, same barrels. Wouldn't entertain an 85. Have 2 75's and a M591, used to have a Finnfire. I like Sakos :-)

I definately think that the SAKO is a better and more wellbuilt rifle than a T3. And the mag on a SAKO is second to none. The Tikka mag is made of plastic and it can´t be loaded without removing it.

When you have replaced the plastic stuff on the Tikka and put a proper stock on it, it´s more expensive than a SAKO. And you are still stuck with a plastic mag.

Buy a SAKO Varmint with a laminate stock and you will have a rifle with no need for replacement parts.

I've owned more than 15 SAKOs and they are great rifles.

Søren

Personal choice however, I got rid of my Sako Quad (.22Rf & .22WMR) heavy barrel. First one replaced under warranty due to the fact that the bolt couldn't be inserted; second one rusted despite being cleaned after use and only being used a few times outside under cover - personally I wouldn't give one safe room - each to their own. The older Finnfire maybe a different story, but I didn't have one of those so cannot comment on them.

Sako's were a different rifle before they were bought out by Beretta. The quality of the older rifles versus the newer models are always highlighted. I have 2 75's and a M591(the unloved model) I also had a Finnfire which was a great rifle.

This. At the SHOT show a few years back a friend and I stopped in and asked how they choose which barrel goes on a Tikka, and which goes onto a SAKO. The responds was that there was NO difference. All the barrels are the same regardless.~Andrew

Archived