Barrel cleaning advise please

Towsey

Yes il be taking the boresnake out with me now I've got it for if I'm out long enough for accuracy to wander, which was to be my original use for it, and il be getting a proper cleaning setup for home and after reading wot people have done il probably play about and see wot my rifle likes in the balance of accuracy and cleaning

Is there any solvents that are known to be rubbish or particularly expensive for no reason?

Cheers

Towsey

Well I got a one piece coated rod and spear jag today. I'm looking for a nylon brush cos I don't think I'm into the idea of a brass one, or putting a copper solvent on something with copper in it really.

Thanks for all the advice folks

Towsey

Good man. Brushes are available from all the usual suspects like Spud, Releasing Solutions, Hanams etc...

Dont be afraid of a bronze brush though - been a standard solution for years without issue. You will find a split of top shots who do and don't use them, so both ways can work.

Dont use the rod until you have a bore guide though.... If you cant find an action specific one then the tipton adjustable ones are very good.

Well I got a one piece coated rod and spear jag today. I'm looking for a nylon brush cos I don't think I'm into the idea of a brass one, or putting a copper solvent on something with copper in it really.

Thanks for all the advice folks

Towsey

Nylon brushes are great for cleaning your teeth but not for removing carbon.

Yes - a copper solvent will dissolve your copper (bronze) brush - which is why we put the copper solvent in the bore with a loose-fitting cloth patch.

Use the bronze brush just for carbon removal.

Almost any shooting store that does target anything will carry the adjustable tipton type bore guides - or most of the reloading suppliers who are on the home page of this site. About £20 I think.

The reason you need one is that as you push anything down the bore your rod will bow, and then rub on the throat of the bore where the rod enters the bore... And there is no way you can keep it within 0.5mm or alignment without a guide.

A rich man would save money on a good bore guide - as the result will be a scrap barrel very quickly. The throat & lead are the most important parts of the bore next to the crown, and also the places that wear the fastest.

Thanks for that...I'm on the hunt for one

My mate has a Parker hale coated rod and bisley bronze brush, anyway, he text me earlier to say that his brush had broke in his barrel. He got it out eventually and is hoping that his barrel is ok but on inspection it has come apart where it was crimped together...just thought I'd say

Towsey

Archived