Barrel cleaning advise please

Towsey

Hi all

I recently got a hardly used .17 hmr barrel for my cz 455 (originally .22lr) my question is wot sort of barrel cleaning routine would you recommend. I've got a bore snake to keep on top of it while I'm out etc, but would you also recommend a good rodding to help with copper fouling, or just see how it performs just using the bores bake and go from there

Thanks

Towsey

Quite often rimfires shoot best dirty...

That largely applies to std .22LR with non-jacketed "dry-lubed" projectiles.

You cannot rule out copper/powder fouling with any of the higher velocity jacketed rimfire rounds. I'd be cleaning on a regular basis.

When I was using it a lot, I cleaned my .17 HMR about every hundred rounds or so just like a centrefire - copper solvent, rod and all. between this I pulled a bore snake through after an evening out. Yes it takes a couple of fouling shots to settle back in, but if you left it too dirty, it would "go off" and start to throw shots.

Sadly, I haven't had much need of it this last year!

Despite the hate it is getting for poor ammo (and I agree there is an issue), I still like mine, and if you are careful when shooting it, it is an effective little round. Check cartridges before you load them in the magazine for split necks. When you fire a shot be aware of any that seem not to have gone right, and check the barrel if you have an inexplicable miss and odd-sounding one.

When I used mine a lot I cleaned it after every 20 plus shots with wipe out

Two points one I think bore snakes are a waste of time and two I've never found a bore guid that fitted my hmr so just put the rod in by eye.

Great little round if the ammo ever come back rite.

Do whatever you feel confident in. Once it loses accuracy (your definition) clean it and go again.

Applying Benchrest routines to your daily rifle (and vice versa) is hardly appropriate. So you will get lots of different advice that applies to different scenarios.

Putting it away dirty for an extended period can't be sensible but cleaning it after every 5 shots is counterproductive for something you will shoot everyday in the field.

FWIW - Never clean my 22lr semi (mangy old thing anyway). Give my 308 stalker a thorough clean every boxing day (bore snake after every stalk) and the AI gets a clean after every range sessions (100+ rounds but not very often).

There is no 'right' answer

Cheers folks

I don't clean my .22lr barrel as it makes it worse, but the .17hmr seems to go off after roughly 30 shots. That was why I got the boresnake so it's easy to carry round with me. I didn't know if copper fouling just affected accuracy of if it has a more detrimental effect on barrels so removing it is a must?

Thanks again

Towsey

i clean mine after every use with copper solvent,rod ,patches and bronze brush,the hmr is a very dirty round and the amount of crap that comes out is amazing for such a small round,plus when you see it would you really want to leave that in your gun

i have always used this method on all my guns from new and they always shoot spot on

Proper kit does the job properly.

Using a clean patch and discarding it removes copper etc from the bore.

I'm not sure quite how well you could clean a boresnake,after every clean,but you'd risk dragging deposits back through the barrel...you might be able to fix a replaceable clean patch to it....but I do wonder just how a stuck bore snake gets out!

As a field 'fix' for fouling,boresnakes may have some utility-with perhaps a 'feel good' psychological aspect. But proper appropriate cleaning fluids and kit-with plenty clean patches-do a far superior job,with minimal risk of making things worse....and 'feel even better' too?

gbal

Proper kit does the job properly.

Using a clean patch and discarding it removes copper etc from the bore.

I'm not sure quite how well you could clean a boresnake,after every clean,but you'd risk dragging deposits back through the barrel...you might be able to fix a replaceable clean patch to it....but I do wonder just how a stuck bore snake gets out!

As a field 'fix' for fouling,boresnakes may have some utility-with perhaps a 'feel good' psychological aspect. But proper appropriate cleaning fluids and kit-with plenty clean patches-do a far superior job,with minimal risk of making things worse....and 'feel even better' too?

gbal

Hi ,I had a bore snake stuck in the barrel a few years back whilst cleaning it in the field,what a nightmare ,it took me hrs to get out ,

you could not rod it out ,in the end I had to clamp the gun to a bench vice and tie what I had pulled through to a CAR JACK then slowly pull it out :blink:

Needless to say I would Never use a bore snake again on such a small caliber ,so be warned .

Thanks for that, I'm worried now

Do you mind me asking, was it a hoppes bore snake. I'm guessing you would recommend a proper rod cleaning kit then

Cheers

Towsey

Yes defo use a rod. And keep the snake in your kit bag just in case you need to replace a boot lace.

Thanks for that, I'm worried now

Do you mind me asking, was it a hoppes bore snake. I'm guessing you would recommend a proper rod cleaning kit then

Cheers

Towsey

Yes it was a Hoppes bore snake,believe Me you do not want a bore Snake jammed in your barrel.

I would recommend a rod and a bore guide if you can find one for your rifle.

Thanks for all the replies

My idea was for taking the snake out with me and if I get through a few shots and accuracy drops I have a quick fix till I get home. Does anyone know any makes of kit that have a plastic coated, or similar, rod so as not to damage the crown etc. Or just a generally good and well known make

Thanks again

Towsey

Dewey, Pro-shot, Tetra, Parker hale, Bisley. Probably a few more.

I use Dewey's for 22-30 cal and a carbon fibre one for a 17 rem.

Don't take things the wrong way with the comments regarding the pull through, I bet if folks on here were honest there's loads that either still have them somewhere in their draws or have used them in the past. I still have 2. 1 30 cal and another 17 cal.

I retired my bore snakes when I realised they do next to fark-all to clean a barrel.

They might smooth the carbon crap over to a nice shiny finish, but they won't touch anything else. You'd be as well not bothering.

Use a rod, brushes, and patches, with a good solvent.

Ooo I'm glad you mentioned that before I did it, much appreciated!

I'm looking for a rod at the mo but to be honest there's that many choices and that many ideas of wots best. I don't want to ruin my bore but there's some expensive rods about, I know that sounds daft but I'm just tight ha

Thanks again

Towsey

I always clean with rod and patch, never with a bore snake

I do however carry one at all times when stalking for any emergency, i.e. I go A over T in the crap

Never had any to use it in 15yrs and still in its original packet

Some folks claim that they can ruin a crown !!! Should need some serious work to do that I think

Archived