Air Rifle Scopes

Kalahari

I have a Nikon air rifle scope (3 - 9 x 42) on my rimfire. It works very well and I always think that a 22 rimfire is probably far gentler on a scope than a springer air rifle. However I was chatting to a guy the other day and he asked if it would be OK on a modded 223. Now I could experiment, but I won't (don't want to find out the hard way that it doesn't) so I gave the classic answer "don't know mate" but then I wondered does anybody here know. I mean a modded 223 is hardly a fierce round but is more than a good air rifle scope would be designed to stand?

Any help much appreciated.

David.

Hi Dave, the recoil on a spring air rifle goes in two direction and is often stated as being harsher on the scope. Then again a pcp air rifle has virtually no recoil, so its a case of suck it and see.

Btw I've seen a centre fire rifle that would clover leaf at 100yds when fitted with a leupold go to no better than moa when fitted with a cheap air rifle scope.

My question is . .What is an "air rifle scope"

Are we talking about a piece of £40 3-9x40 or . . . one of the many, many, many options out there.

I have a new Hawke on my air rifle. It is stunning VFM and spec for £329. It would equally be at home on my .223.

One scope I wish I had never sold is the Simmons Whitetail Classic in 3.5-10x50. A great little scope. I actually fancy another on my (future, when Essex sort out my ticket) 308

That's my two pennyworth.

Archived