scopecentral.co.uk?

a1baz

Anyone have any experience of this company? Ordered a scope but heard nothing even though they state "Fast Shipping" on their website.

It doesn't look promising. No physical address, company number, VAT number etc. on the website. The phone number listed seems to be off the shelf and available for sale. Company that registered the domain is a car parts supplier that has been dissolved.

Hopefully the payment was made via PayPal.

Cheers

Clive

OK, it's been 10 days and no scope, response to emails or requests through PayPal to hurry up and send the scope. I'll be speaking to PayPal to get a refund so my advice is:

AVOID SCOPECENTRAL.CO.UK!!!

I've sold a shedload of redundant photographic and optical equipment through fleabay, and it's great if you want to buy small quantities of engineering consumables, metal, fixings etc.

Been burnt a couple of times, but that'll happen with any online trade. (Just to balance the discussion) :) :) :)

RePete

Well just to unbalance the discussion :D avoid PayPal as well.

I sold a chunk of stuff on eBay which was paid into my PP account, some dude hacks it, puts his card and bank details on but tough luck for him as it got locked down by eBay/PP to run a money laundering check. No-one know to us, only account that was hacked -> inside job. They were not having that argument, insisted I must have a keystroke tracker malware. Total rubbish, nothing on my machine.

Just by luck the account was blocked and I could get cards etc reset. Set up two factor authorisation. Then swept the cash out and closed the account. No more PayPal for me.

Just to tip the discussion scales back in balance I use PP all the time, if I ever ger a substantial amount of money paid into PP I immediately transfer it into a bank account, just to be sure!

From a business owners perspective...

Ebay is a glorified internet jumble sale, whichever way they try to package it. Their mindset is to treat businesses selling on the platform as employees, rather than customers.

PayPal are farcical as a business payment processor. I have a simple problem with them that is running to 2 months old now due to a mistake they have made, and not even the UK CEO can make a decision on it, in case it opens them up to litigation due to them running the organisation on a cretinous blame culture.

We haven't used Ebay for years and binned PayPal as a payment processor for our business.

Cheers

Clive

A while back, I ordered some bullets from a european site, using PP. When they finally arrived, the parcel contained not two boxes of 500 as ordered, but one, and it was very poorly packed..........

Subsequent correspondence with the seller ended with him suggesting that I was trying to defraud him, and refusing to complete the order.

So I rang paypal cust. service, whose rep said they'd talk to the supplier, and that I'd receive the total amount I'd paid regardless of my actual loss.

15 mins after this conversation, I get an email from the supplier offering to send me another box of 500 and asking me to close the PP dispute...........

I agreed to do so upon receipt of the bullets, these arrived a few days later, and I closed the dispute. There has to be some degree of trust, otherwise no-one can do business,

I have a tightly controlled feeder account for Paypal so that in the event of a hack, there is a maximum I can lose (which might buy a couple of pints), and I always use the PP balance to pay.............for me, the convenience, particularly when buying/selling abroad, far outweighs the risk if you keep it tight.

Repete

A while back, I ordered some bullets from a european site, using PP. When they finally arrived, the parcel contained not two boxes of 500 as ordered, but one, and it was very poorly packed..........

Subsequent correspondence with the seller ended with him suggesting that I was trying to defraud him, and refusing to complete the order.

So I rang paypal cust. service, whose rep said they'd talk to the supplier, and that I'd receive the total amount I'd paid regardless of my actual loss.

15 mins after this conversation, I get an email from the supplier offering to send me another box of 500 and asking me to close the PP dispute...........

I agreed to do so upon receipt of the bullets, these arrived a few days later, and I closed the dispute. There has to be some degree of trust, otherwise no-one can do business,

I have a tightly controlled feeder account for Paypal so that in the event of a hack, there is a maximum I can lose (which might buy a couple of pints), and I always use the PP balance to pay.............for me, the convenience, particularly when buying/selling abroad, far outweighs the risk if you keep it tight.

Repete

I'd agree with this, I wouldn't have thought PP is no greater risk than using your credit card when paying for goods.

I'd agree with this, I wouldn't have thought PP is no greater risk than using your credit card when paying for goods.

I think as a buyer it can be better than a credit card as PP tends to take your side but as a vendor its not very good , accounts get frozen and funds snatched back and can take weeks if not months to resolve problems , on top of that they rob vendors of 3.5% to take payment which of course has to be paid by someone .

Archived